Got this a few days ago. A few questions

Started by Cardbo, January 10, 2015, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardbo

I was introduced to this game from Arumba Let's Play and decided to try it for myself.  I've checked the wiki, but I've still got some questions.

1)Had some meat rot in my food storage area(not refrigerated, didn't occur to me until reading throught forums), but, I'm not sure what I can do it.  I've got a cremation furnace, but I can't seem to get anyone to haul that piece of meat over there.  What can I do with it.

2)I've got an Assassin colonist, only has melee and shooting, and is incapable of anything else.  On top of that, she's nudist and has a peg leg.  I really don't have a lot of people in my colony at the moment, so I want to maximize her usage.  I've got one colonist with a Lee Emery gun, and I gave her a great bow, which I made at a crafting bench.  I plan on using her as my dedicated hunter, should I swap the two weapons?

3)Speaking of weapons.  Can I make guns and modern armor at a crafting bench?  So far I'm only able to make clothes and primitive weapons.

4)Similar to the above, can I make prosthetics from crafting benches?  As in question 2, I'm trying to make my assassin more useful.  Which parts can I replace without killing her?  If I could get her as close as possible to a Ghost In The Shell cyborg, that would be sweet.  Also, will some prosthetics get her around 'inability' to do anything else beyond fight.

5)Devilthread.  Dang this takes a long time to grow.  What can I make with this?

6)Xanthium - Like above.   How long does herb stay fresh?

7)Wind turbines - Briefly thought of putting these in, but instead went with solar.  Are these any good?

8)Any other suggestions?

christhekiller

1. The meat? That'll vanish once it's rotted. In the menu you should see a tab that says "Temperature" click it and you'll see the cooler.
You'll want to make an indoor room for the food and put the cooler in the wall. Make sure the blue part is pointed indoors and the red part is pointed out. Then, when the cooler is built you'll need to set the temperature by clicking on it, try for at least 0, though I usually set it to a negative number, this should keep the room cool enough that food and meat don't spoil quickly, and if you set it low enough it might just freeze and never spoil.
Two things to keep in mind however, the red side of the cooler is exhaust heat, which can generate a lot of heat on hot days. You'll want to point that outdoors instead of anywhere your colonists are likely to linger, and your room will warm up when doors are opened, so it's nice to build an autodoor or two between the outdoors, or any room you have heated.
2. Yeah, I'd give the assassin the Lee Emfield.
3. No (Meaning not atm, this is alpha and could be available later)
4. Nope. Nope to both. You can replace her arms (and hands), legs, and eyes without killing her. You can also take out, one lung and one kidney without killing her but there's nothing bionic to replace it with. Replacing her normal limbs with Bionic will enhance her stats, for example, giving her a bionic eye will enhance her eyesight (and I'm told) increase her accuracy when shooting. Replacing legs will probably increase movement speed, and replacing arms will increase work speed. Though I've tested none of this as I mainly use prosethics and bionics to replace missing limbs and eyes.
5. Clothing
6. A very long time, same as with food, if you put it in a refrigerator or freezer then it will stay fresh for longer. Also, Xanthium is herbal medicine, not food.
7. Eeeeh. I don't really use them. They don't require batteries as they supply constant power, but I never really liked them much.
8. Build a kill box. If you want to survive late game a killbox will become necessary for colony survival.

tuver

1)I sell rotten meat. I was surprised that they bought it, but they did for a buck each.

2)give her the gun and make her the top hunter

3)Not in the vanilla version. there are mods that can change this

4a)again not in vanilla, but there are mods that all you to make prosthetics

4b) you can replace eyes, arms, and legs in vanilla. In modded versions you can replace just about everything, but you need at least one lung, kidney, liver, heart, and brain. Some mods allow you to replace the brain, lung, kidney, liver and heart. Some mod even allow limb transplant.

5)Yes, it takes forever to grow, it's used to make cloths that you can then sell for higher prices than cotton does

6)it states on it how long before it goes back, but freeze it and it stays good forever, same as food

7)they are decent. Geothermal are better but are costly and require steam vent. Remember not to have them blocked.

8)Build a freezer for food and medience. Have it's temp lower than freezing incase a solar flare knocks out your power. remember the AI will go for a hole before breaking down a wall, use it to make kill zones. Also good to make poor cover for enemies to use and good cover for your guys. Good way to conserve power when needed is to power down turrents until needed.

Cardbo

Thanks for the response.  I built a refrigerated area, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.  The unit is set to -19C, and it has power, but the items inside are showing as 'Not Refrigerated'.

Sir Wagglepuss III

That solar panel behind the cooler may be blocking off the heat vent, preventing it from cooling properly.

Try moving that solar panel (Or the cooler) to see if that helps out - It may be that those 3 tiles directly behind the cooler are being counted as a room due to the placement of your solar panels. Also make sure that there are no gaps in your walls in that structure, just to be safe.

Also on another note, I'd recommend switching to wind turbines for power if you've got the space for it. They work in an eclipse and don't rely on batteries during the night, making them the better option to use until geothermal is researched. This is especially good as batteries have a nasty habit of occasionally discharging their built up power, resulting in an explosion somewhere on your power grid - Not having batteries means this can't happen.

REMworlder

QuoteThat solar panel behind the cooler may be blocking off the heat vent, preventing it from cooling properly.

It looks like a roof formed over the area between the exhaust output and the solar panel (at least I'm guessing from the shade over that area).

Just set any part of that area as a no roof zone and the heat will be able to escape outside, allowing the cooler to function effectively. That way you won't have to lose mental deconstructing your panels.

Since people are comparing PV panels and turbines, here's a comparison:

Panel
Turbine
Output1700W (day)
0W (night)
750W (normal, clear ground)
1125W (during snow or rain)
Cost80 metal125 metal

Panels take up more walkable space than turbines, and once fire gets into the central portions panel fires can only be extinguished by rain. In the next patch, turbines will take wind into account, and wind strength will change over time (Dec 12 note).

Halinder

A lot of things you asked about, like crafting prosthetics, gun crafting, and a /lot/ more, can be made available thanks to mods. I seriously suggest checking the mod releases section out, as while Tynan builds on the core game, the modding community here fleshes out almost everything you could imagine. If you have a simple issue with the game and want it fixed, put a mod request in, and it will probably be seen. If others have the same issue they'll be happy to assist. Usually mods are installed as easily as dragging the file into the mods section of your rimworld folder, loading the game, clicking mods in the main menu, and checking off whatever mods you want to play with.

Voqar

5)Devilthreads - you can make sexy clothing/hat items with it (they're red in color and have better protection/warmth than a lot of other stuff).  If you're going to grow it I'd grow a lot since you need a lot of cloth to make stuff.  I also wouldn't get too attached to the idea since one blight or many other events could wipe it all out in a heartbeat.

6)Xanthium - another nice thing to grow since your people get mangled in so many ways and medicine can easily run low - takes a LONG time to spoil - I have a high priority 1x1 stockpile of it in my "hospital" and allow it to be stored in my freezer to excess gets frozen

7)Wind turbines - A mix of wind and solar isn't a bad idea since solar is hosed by bad weather, darkness, eclipses.  in this game, redundancy and backup plans are a good thing.

8)As somewhat of a fellow noob a few things.

For your freezer, make absolutely sure it's placed correctly (q/e to rotate stuff when placing, it occupies a 1x1 but when you place it, it's 3x1 and the cold/blue end should sit inside your freezer with the red/hot end sitting somewhere it can vent or otherwise be properly "contained" (some use the heat for other purposes.  And make sure it has power, of course.  ;)

It sort of looks like your cooler is sideways and heating/cooling the walls, not the room and venting out.

The other thing about coolers is they tend to "bleed" thru one door, so for ex, you can have one room (like your main hall/crafting room) cooled and your bedroom doors off of it or connected halls will "cool by association" and be close to the main room's temp (and this can all vary depending on the size of rooms and number of coolers/heaters).

For your freezer, it's a good idea to "air lock" the doors (two doors with a short hall for ex) so that the extreme cold you set the freezer to (32F degrees is good to freeze food, 30 accounts for variance, going lower isn't a bad idea to give you longer if power goes out).  For your freezer I would also recommend splurging for steel walls (or maybe stone later) or something like that - you wanna reduce the risk of fire and other calamities.  If you set your freezer to zero degrees with just a single wooden door between it and your main area, you may notice the main area is a bit chill.

Along the same lines, I see many do it, but I personally space out my solar collectors with 1 tile around each (or at last do SOME degree of spacing, like small groupings), and put down some kind of flooring (even wood) that's not flammable to reduce risk of fires spreading.  If you tightly pack stuff in like that your people can't reach it to fight fires and fire spreads very easily.  Maps are big (and you can make em bigger).  Your base may end up big and being efficient with space is neato, but you still wanna allow your people to move easily (most stuff on the ground including unimproved ground itself slows them).  Putting a space between crafting tables and the like is also a good idea for the same reason.  If something explodes or catches fire you want room to deal with it or avoid spread.

Leaving some space for walkways and such isn't a bad idea in general since most things on the ground (including crops) slow your people down and it can help slow fire spread or reduce loss from fire.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that you can only craft primative stuff since they game ramps up and assuming you survive you'll have tons of gear - so much you'll be more concerned without how to organize it for using vs selling.

Lastly, I'm not a HUGE fan of mods.  I use some, but many that I see discussed with this game seem to make it easier, and the spirit of this game is challenge, and I prefer to keep it more vanilla and true to the developer's vision.  But everybody has their own style and preferences.

I use EB Interface which I'd have a hard time playing without and I don't think it makes the game easier (UI tweaks only).

I use EB Prepare Carefully which lets you customize your starting colonists.  This mod is somewhat of a crutch and undoubtably makes the game easier to start, although one could restart/reselect your starting colonists 1000x until you get people you like, so I consider it a minor "cheat" and time saver since I prefer to get a starting 3 I like for a game I hope to play for days than "go with what you get" (which some enjoy and I do not).  I could see ditching this once I suck less at the game too, since it doesn't make that huge a difference once know how to play and creating a custom group takes me forever since there are bazillions of traits, backstories, etc (I save and use presets, just sayin').

Cardbo

Thanks for the help.  I restarted my colony, since I was unprepared for a major attack.  Anyway, I was able to do things a little better this time, but I noticed a popup that mentioned I need to prepare for winter, since crops won't grow then.  My question is this.  Can I make a heated room with either normal crops or hydroponics, so that my crops won't freeze then?

REMworlder

Definitely! You'll just need to make sure the rooms are warm enough for the plants to grow.

christhekiller

Quote from: Cardbo on January 10, 2015, 06:54:30 PM
Thanks for the help.  I restarted my colony, since I was unprepared for a major attack.  Anyway, I was able to do things a little better this time, but I noticed a popup that mentioned I need to prepare for winter, since crops won't grow then.  My question is this.  Can I make a heated room with either normal crops or hydroponics, so that my crops won't freeze then?

Under the same temperature tab you can set up a Heater which does exactly as it says and heats an area. The only difference is it doesn't need to be directly connected to a power conduit AND it doesn't need an exhaust port. So you just set up an area heater and if you keep the room small enough just the one should be fine enough for it.

Also, you'll need a sun lamp if you're using hydroponics or crops with a roof over them (you'll need a roof if you want to keep them alive over winter), the sun lamp is in the misc tab.

Cardbo

So my currently colony is more successful than my current one.  I've lasted nearly two years, only lost two colonists(one them an initial colonist :( ).  One of the things I've been wondering is whether colony is directly proportional to the number of raiders sent against.  Would I be hamstringing myself if my colony grew too fast?  Or does the size ramp up regardless of what I do?

I'm building my spaceship, and what seems to be my major limiting factor is the amount of plasteel I've got available.   It seems to be pricey, and I think I need 900? for the remaining ship parts.  Wondering whats the best way to make the cash?   I've been considering making good quality golden shivs and selling them.  That works somewhat, but frequently the trader doesn't have money to buy my full stock, and I'm currently out gold.   My area has plenty of marble, so I've considered make sculptures, but wondering if run into the same problem with the gold shivs.   Was thinking of selling herbal medicine, but I haven't really had a chance to try it yet.

Anyone know of good trading strategy?

The-MathMog

Selling sculptures of Stone, Metal and Plasteel seems to work fine with how their prices are. Gold statues are often too expensive.
Another way, which I use alot, is growing alot of cotton/cloth. It's easy to sell the amount that you wan't and it is easy to produce high amounts if you have the growing capabilities for it! :)

And yes, the more colonists you have, the more raiders can attack you. From what Ive read, it also has to do with colony wealth and time spend on the colony + some random factors.

amul

I'm surprised that folks haven't mentioned that devilstrand is the most effective armor that you can make yourself and has very high resale. Of course, in practicality, you'll usually get swamped with armor options once you get your killbox nicely set up. But I do lovely how easily I can spot my pawns in that glorious shade of red.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Clothing

Barney372

Hi guyts, complete nooib, a friend showed me this game earlier today, and im thinking of getting it (i took over his game for hours lol) anyway, here is a few things i would like to know.

1: whats up with the turbines??? whenever i make them, i make sure the back and front are clear (i also make sure the middle *gap* is clear too) but... they never reach full power, and sometimes, they dont even activate.

2: whats the best kind of map for *digging in* (building into the rocks so im betetr protected) 2a: when i make a new game on the same map i notice my old colony is still there, can i interact/trade with them?

3: I don't know what im doing wrong, but my longest survival is 64 days, i have even played 99% on the easy AI (the second one?) on *build mode*

4: can i sell anything APART from silver/gold? (it never seems to accept wood or ANY other material (they are *scored out*)

5: final one, and this is a weird one... I have had 5 colonist before and every one has their special professions... why then are no  one working on my farms? (i have to click the farmer, and then the farm to *prioritieze* but guess what? Yeh, he stops worling the farm after ploughin 1-2 crops! 5a: When i start a new game, i only see the *randomize* button, for new colonists... is there any way to pick individual colonists? ( i know you cant set their skills unless you buy a certain version) but what i mean is, it is really annoying to keep clicking the button for at least 10 mins until you find a kick ass medic!!! lol

Thanks guys