Got this a few days ago. A few questions

Started by Cardbo, January 10, 2015, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amul

Quote from: Barney372 on January 15, 2015, 12:38:04 AM
1: whats up with the turbines??? whenever i make them, i make sure the back and front are clear (i also make sure the middle *gap* is clear too) but... they never reach full power, and sometimes, they dont even activate.

Turbines generate an amount of power based on the amount of wind, which is currently tied to weather. So you'll only max out power during fierce thunderstorms. This is going to get changed, I believe, in the next alpha.

Quote2: whats the best kind of map for *digging in* (building into the rocks so im betetr protected) 2a: when i make a new game on the same map i notice my old colony is still there, can i interact/trade with them?

There's a mountain terrain type. And no, advanced settlement interactions haven't been made coded in yet.

Quote3: I don't know what im doing wrong, but my longest survival is 64 days, i have even played 99% on the easy AI (the second one?) on *build mode*

No way to tell you without more information. What's killing you? Temperature? Pirate assaults? mechaniods?

In general, Rimworld is a game I like to die horribly in, rather than one where I beat the challenges. You might enjoy thinking of it from that perspective. I get a major thrill out of really painful colonist losses.

Quote4: can i sell anything APART from silver/gold? (it never seems to accept wood or ANY other material (they are *scored out*)

Depends on the type of trader. Figuring that out is part of the Fun(tm) of the game, I think. The wiki may be helpful. http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Trade

Quote5: final one, and this is a weird one... I have had 5 colonist before and every one has their special professions... why then are no  one working on my farms? (i have to click the farmer, and then the farm to *prioritieze* but guess what? Yeh, he stops worling the farm after ploughin 1-2 crops!

Sounds like you want to better understand the way the Priority tab works. I wrote this a while ago, you might find it helpful: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8795

Quote5a: When i start a new game, i only see the *randomize* button, for new colonists... is there any way to pick individual colonists? ( i know you cant set their skills unless you buy a certain version) but what i mean is, it is really annoying to keep clicking the button for at least 10 mins until you find a kick ass medic!!! lol

There's a mod called EdB Prepare Carefully that would let you do this. EdB Interface is also highly recommended.

Barney372

wow, thanks for the info... sorry i don't know how to filter quotes :/:

Yes... most of the time i die by raiders... the rest of the time it is due to injury/infection and the crypto-pods.... so ofc, i have learnt NOT to open the crypto-pods EVER... and ofc a maximum of 5 people isn't enough to take down 5-6 enimes... (tbh, i missed how similar this was to JA (Jagged alliance), so my survival rate (against raiders) has been upped slightly...

EDIT: its actually insane... because to be very honest i cant actually beleive how fun it is to lose a colony lol (Dungeon Keeper: fond memories :D)
As for mods/modmanagers, i am a complete noob... but thank you so much for the imvormative relply

Cardbo

Quote from: Barney372 on January 15, 2015, 05:34:44 AM

Yes... most of the time i die by raiders... the rest of the time it is due to injury/infection and the crypto-pods.... so ofc, i have learnt NOT to open the crypto-pods EVER... and ofc a maximum of 5 people isn't enough to take down 5-6 enimes... (tbh, i missed how similar this was to JA (Jagged alliance), so my survival rate (against raiders) has been upped slightly...

You need what's known as a killzone.  A way to funnel raiders into an area where they'll be hit with lots of lots of auto turret fire.  This minimizes the danger to your colonists while at the same time protecting you.

Barney372

well i have tried the natural route... where i start on a mountain map and i have found a spot right next to my LZ where i have bunkered down behind a natural bottle neck at the edge of the map... 6 colonists and 78 days in :D... i have also found a tone of metal and plasteel deposits... i built the majority of the structures on day 22... day 23 i captured a scientist from an escape pod, and his reaserch... i mean WOW!... i have researched 98% of my list within an hour and a half :D