Propagating Raspberries

Started by igpron, January 10, 2015, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

igpron

I saw that there were seed values and grow times on raspberries. Will the wild ones grow on their own and spawn new ones?

Could I keep cutting non-raspberry-plants until I had an untended field of the useful bush?

Also, what causes these bushes to lose health? Five trees around them blocking the sun would do it?

Thanks!

Goo Poni

Wild agave and raspberry bushes do not spread seedlings. Just grass/trees.

milon

They may not spread "seeds", but the wild berries and agave certainly do spread on their own.  At least they used to - in Alpha 6 and 7 most of my food came from cutting all non-wild-food plants and letting it grow all around the base.  Then I'd just harvest occasionally, and I had a blight-proof food source.

In Alpha 8 I've been playing in tundra & ice sheet, so I haven't tested this.  But I haven't read anything in the change log saying it was nerfed/removed.

skullywag

Yeah its work intensive but deffo doable. All plants spread. Ive done it a few times but it ends up not really being worth it. Easier to just have inside growing regions.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Goo Poni

Ah, then it's never been something I've observed. A three year colony on a desert, all the agave that was on the map at the start is still in the same places. Don't have any agave infestations anywhere.

milon

I'm guessing agave doesn't grow/spread much in a desert biome.  Haven't played desert much, myself.

Wex

The agave grows only on farmable land. And the sand is not.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Goo Poni

Well it's a good thing the naturally occurring agave from map generation only occurs on dirt where it can grow and potentially spread. ???