Oil Lamps

Started by Splinterbee, January 10, 2015, 11:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinterbee

I thought of an idea where you can dig oil and use it to fuel oil lamps for when the power goes out. These oil lamps will be able to burn for 3 days before going out from one bucket. It would require a little more metel then a regular lamp but it would be able to light up you colonists homes during solar flares or if you would like to divert power to other machines. You would find oil in little pockets and they would be extra frequent in deserts and plains and would yield 10 buckets of oil, that means you would be able to power a lamp for 30 days with one pocket of oil.

Tell me what you think, thanks :D
Video games, are pretty good

Anduin1357

Where did oil generators go?
Crude oil needs refining into many different components.
The world has to be seeded since the time equivalent of the dinosaur age till now.
Oil is quite deep under the surface.

Oil generators run on a stored 200 buckets of oil and gives off 2000 Wd of energy. Uses 25 oil per day.
Oil is not usually found in small pockets if you dig deep enough, there are some mods that has drillers so maybe incorporate their drillers as oil rigs and draw the oil out from there?

Johnny Masters

If you don't mind the more complex system (and you shouldn't!), you should check techtree minami on released mods, it's got exactly what you described. There's even an oil refinery that produces refined oil and power. It's a bit OP for now, to tell the truth, but it works fine.

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 11, 2015, 12:16:53 AM
The world has to be seeded since the time equivalent of the dinosaur age till now.

Not necessarily. There's plenty of surface- occurring petroleum since ever.

As long there were fauna there could be oil. I think it's irrelevant. If it's too much trouble, just call it xeno bio-mass that happens to work exactly like oil. Except maybe it's green  ;D

Anduin1357

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 11, 2015, 12:49:48 AM
If you don't mind the more complex system (and you shouldn't!), you should check techtree minami on released mods, it's got exactly what you described. There's even an oil refinery that produces refined oil and power. It's a bit OP for now, to tell the truth, but it works fine.

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 11, 2015, 12:16:53 AM

Not necessarily. There's plenty of surface- occurring petroleum since ever.

As long there were fauna there could be oil. I think it's irrelevant. If it's too much trouble, just call it xeno bio-mass that happens to work exactly like oil. Except maybe it's green  ;D
For the sake of simplicity and ease of implementation, let us just use the drillers and not worry about map generation since this change will break saves.

Johnny Masters

alphas already break saves. Shouldn't be constrained by such things. I'd like some kind of xeno-bio-mass more than oil though.

Mihsan

Quote from: Splinterbee on January 10, 2015, 11:59:28 PMoil

I just want to remind one thing from Rimworld lore:

Rocketrees - These trees form rocket fuel in their cores over many years. They were created as a fuel source and are extremely dangerous in a fire.

So why bother with oil (should it even be in terramorfed world?), when we can grow up rocket fuel?
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Anduin1357

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 11, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
alphas already break saves. Shouldn't be constrained by such things. I'd like some kind of xeno-bio-mass more than oil though.
You don't get it, map generation is hardcoded by Tynan.

Quote from: Mihsan on January 11, 2015, 05:22:32 AM

Rocketrees - These trees form rocket fuel in their cores over many years. They were created as a fuel source and are extremely dangerous in a fire.

So why bother with oil (should it even be in terramorfed world?), when we can grow up rocket fuel?
Don't try it, please don't. It would make a lot of things OP to have trees spontaneously combust in an explosive manner. Eg, Lighting Strikes and incendiary mortar.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 11, 2015, 05:38:35 AM
Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 11, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
You don't get it, map generation is hardcoded by Tynan.
And this is the suggestions board for the, you guessed it! Vanilla game, coded by the one and only Tynan Sylvester

Quote from: Anduin1357 on January 11, 2015, 05:38:35 AM
Quote from: Mihsan on January 11, 2015, 05:22:32 AM

Don't try it, please don't. It would make a lot of things OP to have trees spontaneously combust in an explosive manner. Eg, Lighting Strikes and incendiary mortar.
This is canon already, Tynan has just not put it in yet.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Johnny Masters

He likes things that go boom apparently

Coenmcj

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 11, 2015, 06:46:47 AM
He likes things that go boom apparently
Mortars, Boomrats, Rocketrees, doomsday rocket launchers and batteries among other things
explosions for the explosion god!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Johnny Masters

...sentries, lamps, FIRE

Well, it should all be very apparent after he prefixed "boom" in rat.

god i miss the dynamite

Eleazar

For what it is worth, historically oil lamps would usually run on animal or vegitable oils. (Olive in the Roman Empire, sperm whale in the Victorian era) There are also candles, torches, and fires and windows.  Drilling for oil seems an overly complicated route to get a non-electric ligt source.

Johnny Masters

Well they could always be used for plastic as well

Splinterbee

OH GOD! forgot to change the title of the suggestion, it was originally generators but i decided lamps are good I:
Video games, are pretty good

Johnny Masters

Makes sense. Anyways, you should check techtree minami, it has oil, oil pump, oil refinery, lamps and generators.