[WIP] Medieval faction

Started by Grizzlyadamz, January 11, 2015, 08:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyadamz

I wonder what their flesh tastes like...vanilla?

Think I'll try to cobble together some weaponry today.

Grizzlyadamz

Hey, trying to decide on a second melee weapon for knights/lords.

Was thinking a two-handed maul would be the most distinct, but it looks like historical records for the kinda thing I want to make are sketchy to non-existant.

I could make a war-hammer(/pick) or a polearm equivalent, but I dunno, that seems like it'd be lame.
Especially when the lowly footmen are going to have winged spears & bardiches.

And then morning stars seem rather vulgar, barbaric. Not the kinda thing a respectable knight would use.

CB elite

Have you added a halberd yet? I always thought those were pretty cool. I don't think it would offer much, with the current game mechanics, but it would still look cool in my opinion :D I don't know if these really apply to knights, but...

Battle axes, daggers (although uncommon/unpopular), and I actually had an idea for a flail:

The game would recognize it as a gun, but as far as we're concerned it would act like a melee weapon
Low range (to simulate melee, but you can still hit people like a square in front of you or something)
Slow projectile speed (to simulate swing)
Projectile graphic is the spike ball thing
Damage could be blunt?
Oh, and making the "shot" sound effect into something melee-ish wouldn't hurt

I don't know, just trying to help out with some ideas :D I'll shut up now lol :-X

Grizzlyadamz

That's a pretty sweet melee idea! I feel obligated to try & implement it now.
I wonder if pawns would try to take cover before 'firing' it?

Knights were all about the halberds, but I feel like it wouldn't be distinctive enough from the other pawns.
Hehe, thinking Axes should be the Norbals' distinctive weapon.

Gotta go run some errands, so here's what I've got so far.

CB elite

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on January 15, 2015, 12:51:22 PM
That's a pretty sweet melee idea! I feel obligated to try & implement it now.
I wonder if pawns would try to take cover before 'firing' it?

Knights were all about the halberds, but I feel like it wouldn't be distinctive enough from the other pawns.
Hehe, thinking Axes should be the Norbals' distinctive weapon.

No need to feel obligated! :o

The main problem that I see with the idea is engagement... It wouldn't be a melee option, it would be a "fire at" option or something like that, and you wouldn't be allowed to if out of range... The frustration is real, because I didn't think about that until just now :(

I hear you on the Norbals and their axes.

Grizzlyadamz

Yesterday just made the guardsman's armor male textures, plus textures for a peasant's flail, an arming sword & a windlass crossbow. (so not much)

Today I've gotta work on that homework I mentioned.

apljee

Hey Grizzly, if you want any help with this at all I'd be willing to help.

Grizzlyadamz

That's very generous! Thanks, I'll keep it in mind & throw ya a msg if I need to! :D

I'm about 80% on the guardsman armor; need to make the female variant, apply the blur tool to all of them, then make the definitions for all the new weapons & the guardsman armor.
More errands soon, but I'll see about getting that stuff done today & will try to upload a new screenshot later.

CovertGhost7377

A cool idea would be to add in a catapult or trebuchet, so they could siege the colony

Grizzlyadamz

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. The trick'll be animating it.
(and, perhaps, somehow changing their siege behavior so they don't construct sandbags...)

Tried to throw together a screenshot, but the weapons need masks & blech.
Will get to it early tomorrow.

CB elite

The siege AI is defined in a .dll, so that will require some more advanced coding unfortunately. But, if you have the skills and time to make custom AI think trees, the custom siege structures would be very cool indeed :D

Grizzlyadamz

Hm, hopefully it's straightforward.

Here's that screenshot I promised.

The masks are acting up. They seem to be completely shielding the in-game graphics, but completely ignoring the gear icons. Strange.
Anyone have an idea why?

Aah, it needs _m for single graphics, got it. Workin now.

Oh and I haven't applied blur yet, so the textures look kinda choppy. Saving that for finalization.
Currently only the bastardsword, maul, and winged spear use the stuff system.

Just did a tiny bit of work on the jester textures, doesn't warrant an update post. After those I'll see about making the trebuchet.

Grizzlyadamz

Just a heads up, taking a long time mostly because this program I'm in is coming into full swing & seems to take quite a lot of study & practice. And errand-running.
Also had a computer hiccup, but I'm sorting that out now & mod's ok/backed up.

So I'll just edit this post with small updates in the meantime, will bump if there's a decent chunk of progress or other development.

Kolljak

i come bearing gifts :D medeival weapons not transparent or scaled yet but you can have em too :D

Grizzlyadamz

Ha, those are fine weapons, but I'm deathly afraid of details becoming noise in the teeny-tiny dimensions we've all got to work with.
So, I don't think I'll use them, but it is a gracious gesture and I appreciate it immensely sir.   :)

You did kinda give me an idea though, or rather remind me of something- you can make armor use the stuff system. It doesn't have an effect, (metals, that is), but you can do it. Might be a good way to have more colors.

Say, how does overwriting vanilla definitions work? Like, giving metal resources armor value offsets? Can't do it today, much homework, many errands, but I'm interested.

The 'update this post' rule still applies & will continue to do so into the future- unless I make progress I'll edit my most recent post for updates.

Reading and reading here. Program's no joke. Will see about putting in a bit more time tomorrow.

Redid/finished off the normal male jester textures. Trying to get funky colors working correctly, link.