[WIP] Medieval faction

Started by Grizzlyadamz, January 11, 2015, 08:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

By the by on the subject of the mercenaries - Mercs became a lot more common after the invention of the Crossbow, the simple reason being that anyone can learn to fire a crossbow after about.. 20 minutes whereas learning to use a standard bow -or a sling, or a javelin-  years.

If you're still struggling to find a niche for the merc weapons, crossbows are it.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Grizzlyadamz

Ha, I think I'll be calling them 'guardsmen' and shifting back towards a mostly-peasant combat force. Playing fast & loose with the realism here, (no horses, pike walls are boring). -e but thanks for the info!

Anywho, making a new post to ask if anyone has an answer to my question here concerning apparel textures & masks, before I go to convert the 3 I have into a black/white version that can take on colors.
Well, actually I guess I'll be asking & doing at the same time..

Hm, did the front & took a look.
I think it'd be easiest & best if I just went with a red & black color scheme, nothing else.
If the masks worked, it'd be different though.
Time to get some work done.

It needed something. Bells. yeeeeess muahhaha

blah, just did the math, takes me ~20 minutes to get from a template to the exported (untested) texture. So at 15 textures/apparel, that's...5 hours per article of clothing.  :|
At least for this jester piece..

Grizzlyadamz

Here're some jesters marching in formation.

I think the fem model needs work, but NO, tired of textures for now.
Tried a couple white dots on the hat sides & back in an attempt to increase fidelity, but I think I'll remove those at some point.

Next up:
Siege engine
Armor with metallic modifiers
Mucking around with siege camp scripting, (small wooden 'fort'/siege camp I'm thinking)
Make fancier armor/weaps for lords

I'd be satisfied with it enough to release it after those first two, and at that point I'd be receptive to texture/script help, (though I'd be a meddling producer about it, editing textures n whatnot).

In the meantime, Question here concerning the Metallic armor, thinking I'll have to make a separate mod to add the metal attributes, and then branch this one. :[

Also noticed the stuff-fied weapons were 100% steel in the last couple test-colonies I ran. Though I did want to get rid of the *Plasteel* weapons at one point, I don't remember actually setting this up. Further, I couldn't figure out why it's doing it when I took a look.
That's well & good for now, but it might be a problem when it comes to fancy lord weapons.

Shinzy

stuffed weapons costs like millions =P they can't afford to spawn with them (But I think this is something that gets fixed in the next alpha?)
and for metals you'll only need to overwrite the old metals with your new ones, just find the
vanillla ones defs and change them, that shouldn't cause any conflicts unless there's another mod that
also changes them somehow

Grizzlyadamz

Heh, they were spawning with them when I first made them, there's a screenshot on the last page with a silver bastard sword.
(they have oodles of cash dolla for weaponry)
I'll try upping it again though- mighta been that I changed their equipment quality, so the price exponentialized.

Well, yep. Sounds like something that might be better off in instruction format- conflicts on core files, (especially resources, I'm thinking), are gonna be inevitable.

-e 2/13
Busy busy busy.

-e 2/15
Opened up the siege engine stuff today. Things I learned:
-The base graphic isn't scaled
-Graphic dimensions & in-game tiles don't match up very well
-The superstructure (gun-part) graphic IS scaled, so I can't make it the size of a house
-The projectile graphic is also scaled, so no giant flaming balls of pitch. Just normal flaming balls of pitch.
-Besiegers spawn the trebuchet without any mucking with the siege behavior- they must just spawn random 'turrets'

I was going to make it a large circular 'mechanical' trebuchet, claiming they'd scavenged gears to let it rotate 360*.
But given the size restrictions on the graphics, I might have to invent something.
Perhaps some kinda grapeshot-launcher, except with flaming pitch..hmm
-OOH! I know- It'll be a large metal tank they've cobbled together, filled with pitch- it spews the stuff, like, pretty far. Since they'll still be spawning with normal mortars as well, this'll be an area-denial for your typical sniper tactics, BUT it'll be at the cost of:
1. Weakened long-range capability &
2. A large flaming, fragile bomb right in the middle of their siege camp.
You'd want to box with them at range, nail that sucker and watch the fireworks, then deal with the survivors when they charge your gates.

Huh, but I'd need to muck around in the behaviors anyway, else regular raiders will siege with it as well..

2/24
Busy busy busy
Since I'd have to muck around in the siege stuff no matter what, might disable sieges and put out what I have.

apljee

What's the progress with this mod?

Grizzlyadamz

Nothing, just been chugging away at school.
This next week is spring break, figured I'd make a few more textures & see what else I can add before getting it ready for A-9 and releasing it as a no-frills, no-sieges faction. Messing with the code stuff will have to wait till the summer. On second thought, I might be busy then too. :\

But anyway, plan is small changes, update for A-9, release it & then stick around to do balance updates. (woo!)

Grizzlyadamz

Hey, What's the basecooldownticks->meleeweapon_cooldown conversion?

Hm, got rid of all the errors loading up, but can't seem to get a group to spawn- says I've got a Statrequest for a null def.
Was that a common problem?

Mk, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, not enough for a 'release'.
But I could probably put out what I've got and start doing balance changes & such, (though slowly..).
It'd be a beta & more suited for testing than playing. Anyone want?