[A12d] More Mechanoids (v1.07b - updated 31.12.2015)

Started by Orion, January 11, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

That would make sense, I mean, the centipede looks like a giant battering ram. It should certainly be good at digging(or more like smashing down mountain walls :P) Though, it should probably have a pretty good mining level to make up for the slow movement speed.

Hey, what about removing the mining and plant cutting ability from scythers, and giving it to the centipede instead? The scyther could get jobs like planting or construction or something.

Think about it, a centipede is a lumbering, heavy (armless)mechanoid. It shouldn't be able to do precise stuff, but it'll be great at 'dumb labor' digging, cutting down plants, etc. On the other hand a scyther will have  a easier time doing things that need finer control, like harvesting crops, building things, etc.

Orion

I agree on the centipede.
With the scypher I was going with the image that it's essentially made of claws and guns, so most precise jobs don't make sense either. I tried hunting, which looks funny, but violates the idea that their weapons are disabled.

Boboid

Quote from: Orion on March 18, 2015, 04:56:10 AM
With the scypher I was going with the image that it's essentially made of claws and guns, so most precise jobs don't make sense either. I tried hunting, which looks funny, but violates the idea that their weapons are disabled.

Just how de-weaponed can you make a scyther? They're covered in blades and made of metal O.o
There's no version of a Scyther that would be ineffective at hunting unless you removed 100% of its capacity for movement/articulation.

The same goes for a centipede really, it probably weighs upwards of 5T -it's the size of a car and presumably denser-, weaponless or not it'd crush you like a bug if it ever went rogue :P
And it'd be capable of killing just about anything in the animal kingdom except for maybe an elephant :P
Or a bulldog ant because frankly those things just aren't squishable :D
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

T-Wrecks

Hey, I have been having issues with the mod due to some serious conflicts between this and edb interface. At least I am pretty sure that is the mod that it is conflicting with. Please try and fix it! I really want to subjugate all the crawlers!!! D:

Orion

I'm using EDB Interface too, can't reproduce any problems here...

Quote from: Boboid on March 18, 2015, 05:22:04 AM
Just how de-weaponed can you make a scyther? They're covered in blades and made of metal O.o
There's no version of a Scyther that would be ineffective at hunting unless you removed 100% of its capacity for movement/articulation.

The same goes for a centipede really, it probably weighs upwards of 5T -it's the size of a car and presumably denser-, weaponless or not it'd crush you like a bug if it ever went rogue :P
And it'd be capable of killing just about anything in the animal kingdom except for maybe an elephant :P
Or a bulldog ant because frankly those things just aren't squishable :D
Semantics...
They just take out the part of the AI that's for fighting and replace it with something like... cleaning the floor :P

T-Wrecks

Quite odd. I was almost certain it was edb interface. I noticed that some of my guys pawn models started disappearing and turning into purple squares. If I copy and past the errors will you fix it if you can? Also how do I copy and paste the errors. Lol. I tried earlier and the interface wouldnt let me for some reason.

AllenWL

Quote from: Orion on March 18, 2015, 04:56:10 AM
Which is why they won't be cooking and doctoring :P

Growing won't need that precise a skill, just enough to harvest(which, with the crops we have, will simply be cutting or digging out the crops, simple enough) and plant(get a seed, shove it in dirt-not exactly brain surgery)
Constructing won't need much skill either, just get the resources, pile it up, hammer in a few nails/slather mortar over it, perhaps do some wielding(I think a modified plasma gun can do that), and perhaps some cutting/folding metal(which would be simple enough. They aren't making refined circuitry after all.)

Orion

Quote from: T-Wrecks on March 18, 2015, 09:35:47 PM
Quite odd. I was almost certain it was edb interface. I noticed that some of my guys pawn models started disappearing and turning into purple squares. If I copy and past the errors will you fix it if you can? Also how do I copy and paste the errors. Lol. I tried earlier and the interface wouldnt let me for some reason.
I'll try my best, is all I can promise.

There are two things that help:
1. Click each error, so the whole message is showing. Then press the print screen key on your keyboard. F12? Or somewhere around there... Haven't looked at the key I'm pressing for a while. Then paste it in Paint and crop it to what is relevant.
2. In the game's data folder is a log text file. This one is particularly useful if you get a black screen or can't get to the message. Just attach the file to your post after the error occurred (close the game first).

Latta

I digged into your code and deleted every animation related method, re-compiled, replaced dll and bang! Failed.
So I built every single PAL buildings one by one and found out that I was wrong from the very start. It was a PAL core causing it, and not some animation related problem. I'll look again.

EDIT: Well okay, I... fixed this problem by deleting whole ScribeCollections.LookList()... I think there is something very wrong with saving list.
I'll attach modified dll for ones like me.

WARNING: There is a downside: Controlled mechanoids will change every time you load your game. Example: You have Steely and Wingy but you can only control one mechanoid, currently Steely. Next time you load this game, the controlled mechanoid can be both Wingy or Steely.

[attachment deleted due to age]

AllenWL

Ok, I think we really need a way to repair broken mechanoids somehow.
My crawler short-circuited, and her legs got burned off. She's quite slow now, and while I can kill her and re-chip her to fix her up, that's just so... wasteful. Not to mention I have no resources to do it anyways.

rexx1888

considering the fact that bashing her brains in then results in that same mech being rechipped, isnt that the same as repairing it :\ like, its abstracted, and annoying that we need to bash the robot instead of using the shut down operation that other mechanoids have, but its still the same thing

Orion

You do need a new chip then - but otherwise you'd need spare parts or something, so I guess it comes down to roughly the same. I'll think about it, though.

Orion

Quote from: Latta on March 21, 2015, 04:35:05 AM
I... fixed this problem by deleting whole ScribeCollections.LookList()... I think there is something very wrong with saving list.
I'll attach modified dll for ones like me.
Sorry you had to put so much effort into it, but also thanks for locating the problem!

I made an attempt to handle it gracefully. I'd like you to try it out and see if you still have the problem.

Released Version 1.03d
- Better failing for loading reference list

Latta

I don't see any problem at chip part. But bashing it to turn off has a minor problem. One of my crawler had lost its plasma cutter thus no manipulation. My soldier bashed it and it started to attack back! Wasn't a big deal but the soldier was scratched by that crawler's front leg.

I couldn't check if PAL is fixed or not because my colony suffered greatly by Mechanoid Rebellion. Two men killed while sleeping and one died fighting. I'm now afraid of using scythers. It was a memorable event, at least...

EDIT: I'm sorry to say this but its not fixed yet. It's not null causing the error; list is there. But the game, it can't instantiate or something from the given list. Would it possible to make bool isControlled at individual mechanoids and save value to there, instead of a list? As I can't live without this mod I'll continue with deleted LookList now.

AllenWL

I noticed a bunch of textures in the mod that doesn't seem to be used. What are those for?

Oh, and just met some flamebots. I must say, I panicked for a bit when they shot their flame. That was epic. But then my colonists took them out pretty quick. Still, if there where more of them, I could have been in trouble.