[A12d] More Mechanoids (v1.07b - updated 31.12.2015)

Started by Orion, January 11, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

I've been meaning to try this mod since A8 and finally got around to it, loving the new threat profiles and there is something oddly mesmerizing about watching an army of murderous Roombas run back and forth to haul the latest batch of raiders to the corpse pile. I noticed two bugs however: The first was a skullywag that was disabled but didn't do the usual waggle around with an exclamation mark routine, looking like it was dead instead. The second, see attachment.

[attachment deleted due to age]
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Orion

Quote from: Redshadow on April 11, 2015, 04:22:07 PM
Just thought i'd report that the mechanoids can be psy-waved. I think it's a pretty cool feature though.
Yeah, I had it too and decided it's cool enough to stay. PAL does recover them after a small delay (long enough to do some damage, especially if you have lots of them or your PAL is not very strong).

Again, making PAL do smarter stuff (like going against the colony) is fairly difficult and a lot of work which I don't have time for, unfortunately. Also, I expect A10 to be released soon which will also create a lot of new work just to make things work again.

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 12, 2015, 04:19:41 PM
I noticed two bugs however: The first was a skullywag that was disabled but didn't do the usual waggle around with an exclamation mark routine, looking like it was dead instead. The second, see attachment.
Hm. Both weird. Not sure how I'd reproduce them. If I stumble among something when fixing things for A10 I'll look into it.

neadlak

This mod doesn't seem to be getting as much love as Hospitality, but I loved having an army of crawler-haulers (and that one bot I would rename to 'Roomba' and set to cleaning my base). I hope that you find updating it to A10 not-painful!

Kolljak

Does it work for 10? ive been wanting to play this agian bad.

Orion

Quote from: neadlak on April 23, 2015, 07:37:49 AM
This mod doesn't seem to be getting as much love as Hospitality, but I loved having an army of crawler-haulers (and that one bot I would rename to 'Roomba' and set to cleaning my base). I hope that you find updating it to A10 not-painful!
I'd like to give it the same amount of effort - but unfortunately it's also 50x as much work to maintain than Hospitality. So, sorry for that.

I'm also using activity on this thread as a bit of a measurement of how much interest there is from people to get an updated version.

HBKRKO619

If you want to know if people are really interested by this mod to know if it's really worth to update it, that's what I think. For me at least, it's BY FAR your best mod and the one I love the most ^^

And I don't think waiting for posts to updade a mod is a good idea because exept some posts like "when will this mod be updated ?", "Will this mod be updated or is it dead ?", their is not really much to say and for me at least, I hate writing this because I think it's a lack of respect for modder who just want to take their time to update their mod correctly with all the problem every people can have in their live. Everybody have a life, IRL is more important so take your time and when the mod will be updated, you will have true and smart posts to thank you, to propose you some upgrade to your mod or just bug fix but honestly, it's more correct for you than some "when will you update this ?" xD

AllenWL

I agree. Unless you want to spam 'is this being updated' posts, there isn't really much to talk about. I've seen plenty of good mods not get any posts simply because there wasn't really anything to talk about.

That said, I was thinking, and I think a low-budget PAL might be nice. It could just use steel and a little plasteel or something, and it would take less room than a PAL(just a single tile), but it would only control one mechanoid, and while it won't really prevent anything, it will lower the chances of the mechanoid short-circuiting or going rouge a little, and remove the need to cool the cpu. However, unlike a PAL, a rouge mechanoid will have to be put down, since the control unit won't be good enough to put it back under control.

I just thought it might be nice to have a few cleaners and haulers without needing a supercomputer the size of a large building.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: AllenWL on April 26, 2015, 07:34:25 AM
I just thought it might be nice to have a few cleaners and haulers without needing a supercomputer the size of a large building.

I thought the resource requirements for PAL were pretty ridiculous anyway, considering it only provides a minor boost in productiveness and protection from events that aren't a big problem anyway. Out of curiosity I actually went into god mode and tried out what it would take to get all my Mechanoids linked and I ended up with this monstrosity.

A computer this size I would expect to be able to sweep the landscape near a pirate base with a psychic wave and wipe it out with crazy boomrats, not just give me a slight increase in productivity that isn't really useful on anything but haulers anyway. With the resources required to build this thing I could have built multiple spaceships and escaped the planet several times over. As it stands I really don't see a reason to even build PAL, the construction costs and power requirements are just insane.

Latta

But... you can build another core instead of all those blocks, can't you?

Kasdar

Quote from: Orion on April 26, 2015, 06:40:43 AM
I'm also using activity on this thread as a bit of a measurement of how much interest there is from people to get an updated version.

Well I for one, would love an update

Orion

Quote from: HBKRKO619 on April 26, 2015, 06:49:09 AM
And I don't think waiting for posts to updade a mod is a good idea because exept some posts like "when will this mod be updated ?", "Will this mod be updated or is it dead ?", their is not really much to say and for me at least, I hate writing this because I think it's a lack of respect for modder who just want to take their time to update their mod correctly with all the problem every people can have in their live.
You do have a point. Although my other reason still stands... sheer lack of time to look into it. I expect to be busy on it for a week straight, or at least one or two 100% focused weekends. So far that opportunity didn't show up.

HBKRKO619

No problem Orion ^^ Like I said, real life is way more important, take your time, I know you will do a good job when you'll be ready to :)

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Latta on April 26, 2015, 09:31:06 AM

Can you? If that's the case it makes even less sense to require such huge investments.

Orion

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 27, 2015, 11:00:07 AM
Quote from: Latta on April 26, 2015, 09:31:06 AM

Can you? If that's the case it makes even less sense to require such huge investments.
Hm... if it is possible, it shouldn't actually work. Sounds like a bug :P