Mods ruined this game for me

Started by iSagan, January 11, 2015, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iSagan

The game isn't fun with them, because you have this relentless feeling of "there is no reason not to get others" while you play. I also feel like I'm just cheating.

But.. the game isn't fun without them. Now, I can't play without an additional colonist and UI tidy up because the game is so slow and I've already reduced it to methodology.

To everyone out there considering them, just don't do it. They have totally disenchanted this game for me and now it has no addictive nature at all.

Izure

Well I kind of agree the game is stale and very very repetitive once learned.

This is not the mods faults, this is game mechanics.

And mods are good it will break up that repetitiveness once they have complete overhaul mods. Like starwars, warhammer40k, zombie overhaul that is a whole different game, and the mods that add new content to the vanilla game.

But I think this game needs a lot more content for sure, to break up the repetitiveness.

milon

Why not take a break for an alpha or two?  Then come back and experience it fresh again.  And like the OP said, don't over do it on the mods - any kind of cheat in any game will run it for you.  (No, I'm not saying that mods are cheating. Just that certain combinations of mods make it too easy and kill the challenge/fun.)

milon

So good and spot-on. (Well, I don't agree with the middle part. I'm glad i bought it!) It's worth a double-post!

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 11, 2015, 07:40:50 PM
The framework for RimWorld is absolutely fantastic (the cover and shooting mechanics, the consequences of injuries, and the new weather system, to name a few), and I can't wait to see what other kind of content Tynan brings to the game.

With that being said, at this point in time, I doubt I would've purchased as early as I did without the sheer amount of mods that available and being added every day.

As a final note - try playing with killboxes and underground building. Play in the open, with multiple approaches, and see how well it does; try playing EdB's Scenarios in the mods. This is a sandbox game of sorts, and the fun - and challenge - will often come from your own experimenting and creativity. If you keep repeating the same formula - tunneling and making killboxes - then, of course it will become repetitive.

Voqar

Quote from: Izure on January 11, 2015, 11:19:31 PM
Well I kind of agree the game is stale and very very repetitive once learned.

This is not the mods faults, this is game mechanics.

I wouldn't say it's the fault of game mechanics either.

If you do anything excessively or exhaust anything it's going to get stale.  Do you read the same book twice in a row?  Do you watch the same TV show twice in a row?  Probably not.

Rimworld has a ton of replay value as is and there is likely to be more content/features/mechanics by the developer himself (the best kind, IMO, as I buy games because I like the game as developed, not for its modding potential), so maybe take a break as somebody previously suggested.

I also think how you approach a game can make a difference.  If you reduce a game to a spreadsheet by min/maxing everything, exploiting every AI flaw, etc, you're going to get bored with a game faster.  Spreadsheets aren't really all that fun.

To me Rimworld is more like Civ - excellent replay value but even so, you could still get a bit burnt on it, especially if you fully master it and play it the same way all the time.  I've done ~1600 hours of Civ 5 (and the only mod I use is for interface) but these days I only play a game every few weeks - I'll never uninstall it or abandon it entirely (til civ 6 comes out) - compared to a game like Tomb Raider that I thought was excellent but I uninstalled it right after I finished it and I'll never touch it again.

REMworlder

Remember it's an alpha, there's still lots to see.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: milon on January 11, 2015, 11:46:05 PM
So good and spot-on. (Well, I don't agree with the middle part. I'm glad i bought it!) It's worth a double-post!

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 11, 2015, 07:40:50 PM
The framework for RimWorld is absolutely fantastic (the cover and shooting mechanics, the consequences of injuries, and the new weather system, to name a few), and I can't wait to see what other kind of content Tynan brings to the game.

With that being said, at this point in time, I doubt I would've purchased as early as I did without the sheer amount of mods that available and being added every day.

As a final note - try playing with killboxes and underground building. Play in the open, with multiple approaches, and see how well it does; try playing EdB's Scenarios in the mods. This is a sandbox game of sorts, and the fun - and challenge - will often come from your own experimenting and creativity. If you keep repeating the same formula - tunneling and making killboxes - then, of course it will become repetitive.

...I think this is the first time that I've ever seen someone quote me elsewhere before. I may cry.  ;D

This IS how I feel about the game, but - simply because of the mods - it feels well worth my early investment. I do recommend, however, that if anyone's feeling that the game is getting repetitive, they should take a break for a few alphas, just as Milon stated above. It's actually what I'm doing with Prison Architect - another great game,  but I've simply played it so much that I know every mechanic and technique by heart.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Mihsan

Quote from: iSagan on January 11, 2015, 10:37:01 PM
The game isn't fun with them, because you have this relentless feeling of "there is no reason not to get others" while you play. I also feel like I'm just cheating.

But.. the game isn't fun without them. Now, I can't play without an additional colonist and UI tidy up because the game is so slow and I've already reduced it to methodology.

To everyone out there considering them, just don't do it. They have totally disenchanted this game for me and now it has no addictive nature at all.

I just want to cry every time i see all this mods. Most of them are so bad, cheap and out of this game, that i even do not know, why people bother to show them to other people.

There is only just a few mods, that can make this game just better and not spoil it in process.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Cat123

I'd say that my impression is totally the opposite: some of the mods really do expand and flesh out RimWorld and show what's possible with the engine. There's at least three that I consider to be excellent.

Current issues:

1) Most mods aren't balanced at all. This is where your sense of "cheating" comes from. e.g. TTM is great, but fundamentally unbalanced (atm); same goes for Shinzy's Apparello.

2) Many of the mods, while good, are overly full of fluff. e.g. weapon mods with 100+ variants of essentially the same gun.

3) They're all using the existing framework of code that is in the alpha. Tynan has no issue with people adding code directly (.dll rather than XML), but this raises a whole new issue: adding code isn't so much modding as game creation. A few of the modders are happy to add code directly, which unfortunately makes their mods "non-customizable", which isn't great news (however much of the code itself is brilliant - looking at you miss JuliaEllie). I've held off finishing a mod I know would be good because it would require additional code, and there's no reason to imagine that the beta / gold product wouldn't have it included anyhow.

4) New features are being added, but sadly some of the changes aren't expressed in XML (I'm thinking temperature here). Ideally, core functions should be able to be modded via XML rather than pure code.

5) Some of the mods are just plain silly: vastly over-powered teenage fantasies that break game mechanics - but they're still viable if you like that kind of thing.

All in all it's still an alpha: the modding community here has some serious talent and many of them show what is possible with the engine.

TL;DR

You're doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying out the mods - however, I think that it will be beta / gold before they really come into their own.

DarknessEyes

Mods are good because:
* They add missing features that the game will have in future.
* You can change the game once you get bored :)
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

Diplomatti

Give yourself some challenges to try to complete. like, create 3 fully bionic, power armored super soilders on a hard difficulty. or make 1000 lavish meals or something.

milon

Sir Wagglepuss III

Still waiting on a clever modder out there to make a Hadley's Hope scenario. :p

Noobshock

Playing games with cheat codes on has never been very fun and tends to spoil it for most people.

Most mod makers don't worry too much about balance and their mods more or less become cheat codes even if it wasn't their intent.

Then you're bored.

I tend to stay away from mods that look like they trivialize this this and that too much for that very reason.

Romi

It's hard to have all the mods.At first i didn't liked mods,i hated them because they are soo cool funny,but one problem: There are thousands of awesome mods and is hard to get them all and play with them.But after a while i beggin liking them so i started getting the best mods for rimworld.