Late Game Content Suggestions

Started by amul, January 12, 2015, 01:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amul

I saw a discussion elsewhere suggesting a particular improvement for late game challenge. I'm curious to here other ideas about late game content that people have.

What I'd like to see is multi-stage story elements, in addition to a lot of the one-off events that we currently see.

For example, right now a random event might spawn a cryopod that has crash landed with a colonist inside that you can recruit.

A two-stage variation of this would be a cryopod crash lands, and then about 4 months later, a special trade ship arrives that is looking to buy that one particular crash survivor, because it's the colonist's family, and they're willing to barter to get him/her back.

Or possibly the crash survivor uses the comms to send for reinforcements to rescue him by force.

---

Another idea might be an NPC that comes for a visit and starts collecting resources and building a temple. First cuts down trees, builds a wooden building with an art craft table in it, then builds a wooden statue which he installs in the building. Next, creates a butcher table and starts killing animals and leaving the corpses in front of his statue.

Perhaps something weird happens if there is no fresh meat in the temple.

Kinakin

Based on the kickstarter page. We can assume there will be some kind of religion system added. With warp/void monsters and whatnot.

So a religious ending is likely.

What Id like to see is controlable endings in the same way as the ship is now. By that I mean you can choose when to end the game.

And then add more of them. And the game becomes a story of how and if your colonists got to that ending.

I like the escape ending but would very much like a founder ending whete the goal is to found a permanent colony.

Haplo

I would suggest an invisible count of members per faction.
And if you have all members of a faction disabled, it will never send you raiding parties again.
If you have no more enemy factions with a positiv member count, you have a friendly environment and the game ends.
If you then want to continue, all counters will be reset to an impossible high value, so that you can continue your fight :) 

Johnny Masters

I think there were a couple of posts on the same subject a few (or more) pages back, might be worth checking it out and putting up some kind of list.

Now, as for the post, as soon as i find my txt with some ideas or have the time i'll gladly put them down here, end game and goals is something i'm very interested in being developed.

Might be neat to have some sort of fallout ending, with some deep-voiced narration (who knows, might even be Ron Perlman) and still images of the after, based on your decisions. So there might even be some hard-coded trigger-able events to weave some sort of story.

Reolos

Thanks for plugging my post Johnny. I put a lot of love into it.

Mihsan

Quote from: amul on January 12, 2015, 01:52:20 AM
I saw a discussion elsewhere suggesting a particular improvement for late game challenge. I'm curious to here other ideas about late game content that people have.

What I'd like to see is multi-stage story elements, in addition to a lot of the one-off events that we currently see.

For example, right now a random event might spawn a cryopod that has crash landed with a colonist inside that you can recruit.

A two-stage variation of this would be a cryopod crash lands, and then about 4 months later, a special trade ship arrives that is looking to buy that one particular crash survivor, because it's the colonist's family, and they're willing to barter to get him/her back.

Or possibly the crash survivor uses the comms to send for reinforcements to rescue him by force.

---

Another idea might be an NPC that comes for a visit and starts collecting resources and building a temple. First cuts down trees, builds a wooden building with an art craft table in it, then builds a wooden statue which he installs in the building. Next, creates a butcher table and starts killing animals and leaving the corpses in front of his statue.

What does it have in common with "late game content"? I see some quests, that i would NOT like to see in Rimworld. Because we have no FLT: nobody will travel ~forever to find family members or send reinforcements. And that temple story is just raw and weird.

Quote from: Kinakin on January 12, 2015, 05:15:07 AM
Based on the kickstarter page. We can assume there will be some kind of religion system added. With warp/void monsters and whatnot.

OMG there really was such thing. I hope this was a joke... Because come on! We have no FTL and no aliens, but we will have "void gods"?
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

mipen

Something I'd really love is if you could transcend the colony stage and become a fully fledged town. Have it's focus on what ever you want, like manufacturing / military / trade, whatever you want. And then be able to interact with other peoples on the planet - send out exploration teams, wipe out other towns, make an empire. It would be so much fun :D or setup imports/exports of bulk items to other places, maybe even take control of the planet and send troops/goods to other nearby planets. I don't really like currently the end goal being to end the game, for me it makes building a big nice looking colony a bit pointless if you're just going to leave it behind at the end. I'd love something that adds continuity and potential for expansion

Coenmcj

Quote from: Mihsan on January 12, 2015, 08:59:13 PM

What does it have in common with "late game content"? I see some quests, that i would NOT like to see in Rimworld. Because we have no FLT: nobody will travel ~forever to find family members or send reinforcements. And that temple story is just raw and weird.

Quote from: Kinakin on January 12, 2015, 05:15:07 AM

OMG there really was such thing. I hope this was a joke... Because come on! We have no FTL and no aliens, but we will have "void gods"?

I'd like something like that, I already set up 'Temples' around ship-parts and have my colonists leave offerings of gold and silver.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SuperCaffeineDude

At the risk of derailing I'd like to see religion play a part, or more advanced social simulation, although I hope there's no outright god stuff.

On topic, I think implementation of multi-stage quests could never be a bad thing, regardless of the examples given.

In terms of lore we know the core-worlds are more suitable for interplanetary empires/federations, but there's not necessary a reason why a rim world's planetary system wouldn't house additional habitual worlds or even be a part of small star system. Because of this i'd say its not impossible to invent scenarios involving more than one world, after all who's to say the dudes in cryostasis didn't send out a distress signal years prior. Think "Interstellar" with colonisation efforts being made and dudes going into stasis for generations, while their machines terraformed the planet or they waited on further assistance.

Although I'd like to see actual quests first :D, I posted a while ago about my thoughts.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Reolos on January 12, 2015, 08:11:56 PM

Not familiar with the expression. Is it good or bad?  :o

I see to have misread the topic a little, multi-staged events sound cool. Might to lead to multi-staged missions into some kind of a proto-campaign / missions.

Reolos

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 12, 2015, 09:45:17 AM
I think there were a couple of posts on the same subject a few (or more) pages back, might be worth checking it out and putting up some kind of list.

One of those posts you referenced was mine. I was saying thank you for drawing attention to them and for suggesting a compilation. Compiled lists are much easier than tons of random posts.

Eleazar

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 13, 2015, 06:45:54 AM
Quote from: Reolos on January 12, 2015, 08:11:56 PM

Not familiar with the expression. Is it good or bad?  :o

"Plugging" here means "promoting".

kingtyris

I'd really like to see some kind of government system implemented. Nothing too complex, but once a threshold of colonists has been reached, maybe a new research is unlocked, 'Townhall' or something, and colonists will vote(or randomly select, really) a colonist to be the colonies 'Mayor' once a room is zoned as town hall after building a podium or ballot box in it. The colonists can receive passive buffs, or even debuffs, based on the traits and skills of the mayor. For instance, if the player has a high social skill, the rest of the colonists will have a constant better mood, while if he has the psychopath trait, they will live in constant fear. High mining makes the colony a more efficient mining colony, etc.

Eventually the colony can work on improving diplomatic relations with the surrounding settlements to the point where they agree to form a confederation under a single unified rule, leading to an ending where the colonists decide to remain on the world and form a new society instead of escaping. A pretty happy ending, I think.

Also, a lot of discussion has been had about out-of-colony missions for colonists to go on. I like the idea, but I don't think we need an actual map to go to. We can simply send colonists off map on a mission, and the storyteller will determine their chances of success and they return after a given time. For instance, a 'raid' mission will have a higher chance of returning all colonists alive if they have high combat stats, good weapons and good armor. Or a diplomatic mission will provide better results if the envoys have a higher social skill. A good series to look to for an example of this 'unseen mission' model would be the Rebuild series.

Eleazar

Quote from: kingtyris on January 13, 2015, 10:23:53 PM
Also, a lot of discussion has been had about out-of-colony missions for colonists to go on. I like the idea, but I don't think we need an actual map to go to. We can simply send colonists off map on a mission, and the storyteller will determine their chances of success and they return after a given time. For instance, a 'raid' mission will have a higher chance of returning all colonists alive if they have high combat stats, good weapons and good armor. Or a diplomatic mission will provide better results if the envoys have a higher social skill. A good series to look to for an example of this 'unseen mission' model would be the Rebuild series.

Good idea-- that would fit the game better, and could be added much quicker.

EDIT:

Generally speaking, I'd like to see the difficulty keeping your pawns happy increase as the number increases, especially at high populations.  This would counterbalance the current "bigger is always better" dominant strategy.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Eleazar on January 14, 2015, 09:02:47 AM
Quote from: kingtyris on January 13, 2015, 10:23:53 PM

Good idea-- that would fit the game better, and could be added much quicker.

As already discussed somewhere, fire&forget "missions" are good in that they are simple to introduce, but has the collateral disadvantage of having some potentially frustrating drawbacks, namely the loss of control and loss of pawns. I bet most people here reloads a game when someone or someone important dies, at least once.  Having random stuff happens to your people would just further this, or make you feel cheated.