[MOD] (Alpha 10) Caveworld flora (V10.0 29-04-2015)

Started by Rikiki, January 13, 2015, 05:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: lude on February 25, 2015, 08:25:50 AM
Such a beautiful mod.
Also I'm completely okay with it being full of invasive species, would even love to see a hard version where some are dangerous to be near (to varying degree, from positive/bad hallucinations to infections and other things, perhaps mobs spawning from super rare cave plants)

Thanks for this great aesthetic depth adding mod.

An exploding shroom that blows up when a pawn comes near it would be neat. One would hurt a little but be no problem, 5 in a cluster might kill you.

Dragoon

Quote from: Igabod on February 25, 2015, 12:52:28 PM
An exploding shroom that blows up when a pawn comes near it would be neat. One would hurt a little but be no problem, 5 in a cluster might kill you.

Id prefer spawning mobs or even infection to exploding plants, pawns are so dumb they won't avoid it if they need to get something and just seems like a big troll.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Rikiki

The gleamcap has already a fun effect. Never noticed the spore spawned by mature ones? Look carefully when the next eclipse hits. This adds a small mood bonus to nearby pawns due to hallucinogen gas. :D

Hazardous plants may be interresting. I did not worked on it as Skullywag had his purple ivy mod.
I may go this way in the future but not for now. I am still working on another mod. :P

Been impatiently waiting for this to be updated, TYTYTY, its such a cool mod :D

Leif

Quote from: Dragoon on February 21, 2015, 09:14:36 PM
Yeah.. you have to restart the game when ever you go into mods otherwise it bugs out :p

As I said in my previous post, it does this regardless of whether you restart.  It has something to do with zoom levels.

Leif

Quote from: olvido on February 21, 2015, 02:49:30 PM
Quote from: Leif on February 17, 2015, 04:57:07 AM
There are major problems with this mod. The plants spread far too rapidly. Within a month or two they will completely overwhelm any non-lit area.  Far faster than your colonists can handle. Even with five starting colonists, my base becomes a mishmash of brightly colored fungus. Smoothing stone doesn't necessarily work, because they spread to tiles like sand, soil, etc.   Any cave tunnels you mine out immediately are overrun with the fungus. Forget about tweaking growth durations -- you need to fix it from becoming a kudzu-like menace that completely takes over the entire map within a year.  Why does it even spread like that?  Just let it spawn naturally and allow colonists to plant it where they want.

Also, the sprite/tile for the fungus has an annoying glitch -- it gets replaced with several square blocks that seem to be miniature versions of the plasteel bed from vanilla. It does this regardless of whether you clean install, restart your game after loading mods, etc.  It does this after zooming in to a certain level.

Frustrating, because this adds a DF-like element that is nice, and the glow is a nice touch when mixed with the Darkness mod, but in it's current state it's unusable and unplayable.

I suggest you to read first, older posts can help you, and for you final quote this mode its playable and usable dont degrade other peoples works because you dont like the CURRENT VERSION of this mod.

sorry if i misunderstand your post but complains and suggestions are to different things cheers and good luck reading  ;)

Wait, you're going to pull out the "try reading" card when you clearly missed every relevant point I mentioned in my post? LOL. Grow some thicker skin; constructive criticism by pointing out major gameplay problems and unfixed bugs in a mod is not "degrading" it, you're the only person who took it as such, and nobody asked you to white-knight for the mod-maker here.  Now please, go back and point out exactly which "older post" has the solution to my problem? Actually don't waste your time, because none of them do, because had YOU actually read MY post, you would have seen that I'd tried all of those things.

Igabod

Quote from: Leif on February 26, 2015, 01:41:45 AM
Quote from: Dragoon on February 21, 2015, 09:14:36 PM
Yeah.. you have to restart the game when ever you go into mods otherwise it bugs out :p

As I said in my previous post, it does this regardless of whether you restart.  It has something to do with zoom levels.

It has nothing to do with zoom levels because I've never seen the problem at any zoom level. However, now that the Alpha 9 update has been released maybe you should try it again and see if it persists. If it does please let Rikiki know (in a nicer manner than you did last time, which was kinda rude) about it and maybe tell him (I assume it's a he) which mods you are running so he can either fix the compatibility issue or make a note of it on the original post.

Also, in the future, when you have criticism about a mod please make it constructive and not destructive. Rikiki put a lot of effort into this mod and I'm sure he is very open to suggestions. But ranting about how "unplayable" it is does nothing to make the mod any better and Rikiki doesn't deserve anybody being rude. I am sure you didn't intend to be rude, but you were. So please try to tone it down a little bit in the future.

Leif

Thanks, but I don't need a lecture.  Just because "I never had a problem at any zoom level" (i.e. anecdotal) doesn't mean that it's not the problem. Clearly something about zoom levels was triggering the bug, because it did it every single time, 100% repro rate, repeatable across multiple instances of the game, upon passing a certain zoom level. Whether the problem lies within the mod itself, or in interaction with the game's mod system as a whole, or something entirely different isn't the point. Saying "it has nothing to do with X" when you actually have no idea what it has to do with because you didn't encounter the same problem, is unhelpful to the extreme.

As for the rest, I'll continue to give whatever kind of criticism that I please, in whatever kind of tone that I please. If Rikiki has a problem, he/she can take it up with me directly. And if you think that's "destructive" criticism, simply because I said that the mod was unplayable in a prior version, you definitely need to grow a thicker skin (not that it was directed at anyone other than the modmaker in the first place). I've got 15 years of game development experience; I can tell you that I've heard far harsher criticisms than "I can't recommend this."

Nobody benefits when you try to shut down criticism with tone arguments (look it up). Feedback is feedback; a good modmaker will take it and do what they want with it.

As for the current version, I'll give it a try now that it's updated and see if the bed glitch persists. Hopefully the invasiveness/speed of spread has been toned down as well (as it makes food a complete non-issue).

Igabod

Quote from: Leif on February 26, 2015, 03:20:23 AM
Thanks, but I don't need a lecture.  Just because "I never had a problem at any zoom level" (i.e. anecdotal) doesn't mean that it's not the problem. Clearly something about zoom levels was triggering the bug, because it did it every single time, 100% repro rate, repeatable across multiple instances of the game, upon passing a certain zoom level. Whether the problem lies within the mod itself, or in interaction with the game's mod system as a whole, or something entirely different isn't the point. Saying "it has nothing to do with X" when you actually have no idea what it has to do with because you didn't encounter the same problem, is unhelpful to the extreme.

As for the rest, I'll continue to give whatever kind of criticism that I please, in whatever kind of tone that I please. If Rikiki has a problem, he/she can take it up with me directly. And if you think that's "destructive" criticism, simply because I said that the mod was unplayable in a prior version, you definitely need to grow a thicker skin (not that it was directed at anyone other than the modmaker in the first place). I've got 15 years of game development experience; I can tell you that I've heard far harsher criticisms than "I can't recommend this."

Nobody benefits when you try to shut down criticism with tone arguments (look it up). Feedback is feedback; a good modmaker will take it and do what they want with it.

As for the current version, I'll give it a try now that it's updated and see if the bed glitch persists. Hopefully the invasiveness/speed of spread has been toned down as well (as it makes food a complete non-issue).

Sorry that you felt like that was a lecture. I didn't intend on lecturing you. I meant that only to point out to you what you may not have seen. Rudeness is not called for. This is a close community and we try to keep things friendly here. I agree that feedback is a good thing. But rude feedback is uncalled for in any community. Out of 5 posts, you have been rude to 3 different people. This isn't the kind of thing we like in this forum community. Please just try to keep your words friendly. I'm not trying to be unfriendly toward you when I say that.

As for my statement regarding it having nothing to do with zoom levels. That stands true. It has to do with a compatibility issue with another mod more likely. If it had to do with the zoom levels then it would be present in EVERYBODY's game when they zoom past a certain level. That's not the case though, so the cause has to be something else. I say this not to shut down your criticism, because I know that bug reports are important. I say it simply to try and help Rikiki narrow down the causes.

Please try to read this with the tone that was intended. I am not trying to lecture you or be mean or shut you down. I'm merely trying to be helpful here.

Zeta Omega

Idea: Mushroom people? Maybe a neutral faction or a new species of colonist?

Wastelander

olvido

Quote from: Leif on February 17, 2015, 04:57:07 AM
Wait, you're going to pull out the "try reading" card when you clearly missed every relevant point I mentioned in my post? LOL. Grow some thicker skin; constructive criticism by pointing out major gameplay problems and unfixed bugs in a mod is not "degrading" it, you're the only person who took it as such, and nobody asked you to white-knight for the mod-maker here.  Now please, go back and point out exactly which "older post" has the solution to my problem? Actually don't waste your time, because none of them do, because had YOU actually read MY post, you would have seen that I'd tried all of those things.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 19, 2014, 08:11:57 PM
These instructions are on how to download mods.
1. Download it! If you are having trouble, it may be your internet, your computer, or just spamming the download button because it wasn't loading... Maybe not the last one...
2. The file you get will most likely be zipped (compressed), use your decompression tool of choice (winzip, winrar, 7zip) to extract the files. And for macs, use The Unarchiver
3. Move the folder into the mods folder, located in your Rimworld install location, make sure that the mods files are 1 level deep (for example /mods/modname/defs. not /mods/modname/modname/defs as sometimes happens, or /mods/defs/
4. Start Rimworld and select "mods" from the menu, here you can activate and deactivate mods. Some mods are buggy when you open mods folder and exit it without quiting the game. These include Clutter, Animal Rugs (?) and some others. If you're unsure, then quit the game and start it up again. I recommend quiting and restarting the game, as it's always nice to be safe.
5. If you add a mod which adds factions, create a whole new world. Not colony, world. So remember your seeds!
6. If you cannot start your game after enabling a mod, navigate to your user folder (c:/users/username) make sure you have "hidden folders and folders" on and go to "AppData" then "LocalLow". In here you should see a ludeon Studios folder, navigate to Rimworld/config and remove the offending mod from the "modsConfig.xml" file. I hope you understand that last point :P

Good way to make mod downloading easy:Edb Mod Order
Updating Mods:
Simple by just replacing the old folder with the new one, (keep the name of the file)
Some sadly might require new worlds or colonies.  :'(

If you are having trouble, restart your game and restart your computer. Or make new worlds...
If you have any more problems, PM me and if you still have trouble try support (Located in the main menu of the forums).

Alpha 9! *Cue singing* A whole new update!

Available since Alpha 6!

always old saves/worlds cause problems delete them that can work, and the sprite ''bug'' happens in other mods too its a mod/load relate problem

Juujika

Ill get texture problems and error messages  :-\

Rikiki

Check your mods order. ;)
I see you use the EdB interface. Be sure you use the last version and it is the last mod loaded.
Have you quit the game after activating mods?
Do you use JabbaMonkey textures? If yes, please check their name are correct and they are placed in the right folders

Good luck, I am sure this is just a matter of mod order! :)

Juujika

Problem solved, for some reason i didnt have the latest version of the game. :/