Dynamic Personalities?

Started by Draxis, January 13, 2015, 08:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draxis

I know this might be very difficult to do, but I'd love to see something that allows colonists to change or develop over time based on the events they have experienced. I think it would add a lot to the game if the characters changed over time because the pawns would grow with their experiences. The crash landed group of chumps would become hardened survivalists and we would becoming increasingly attached to each person and losing one would be a much more emotional loss.

For example, it'd be interesting to see a colonist who was not a cannibal become one over time or a colonist who spends a lot of time in combat eventually become a psychopath. The moodlets could be used as triggers for "personality points," where a person might becoming increasingly resistant to a moodlet and develop a new trait. My only problem with this system is that weak pawns would naturally get stronger over time and many flaws may disappear with time. I'm not sure how to resolve that part other than some pawns may not get used to something or could develop PTSD through getting an abrasive or pessimistic trait.

Not sure if it makes sense to everyone, but that's something I would like to see. What do you guys think?

Eleazar

Sounds good to me in general.

For it to work in gameplay, I think there would need to be a chance that good, bad and indifferent traits get added.  And I think they player should have some indirect influence (not control) on what new traits pop up.

Mihsan

Quote from: Draxis on January 13, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
I know this might be very difficult to do, but I'd love to see something that allows colonists to change or develop over time based on the events they have experienced. I think it would add a lot to the game if the characters changed over time because the pawns would grow with their experiences. The crash landed group of chumps would become hardened survivalists and we would becoming increasingly attached to each person and losing one would be a much more emotional loss.

For example, it'd be interesting to see a colonist who was not a cannibal become one over time or a colonist who spends a lot of time in combat eventually become a psychopath. The moodlets could be used as triggers for "personality points," where a person might becoming increasingly resistant to a moodlet and develop a new trait. My only problem with this system is that weak pawns would naturally get stronger over time and many flaws may disappear with time. I'm not sure how to resolve that part other than some pawns may not get used to something or could develop PTSD through getting an abrasive or pessimistic trait.

Not sure if it makes sense to everyone, but that's something I would like to see. What do you guys think?

Not liking this much. But you have some good point behind your post.

Psychopath is not something about acquired characteristic. Psychopath, that was in fight, is battle-hardened psychopath. Normal person, that was in fight, is battle-hardened normal person. Not the same.

It would be nice to see some acquires properties. Not just skills, inborn traits or temporal debuffs, but something intermediate, that will better describe acquired mental experience of a person. For example:
- "Was wounded before" (less debuff from wounds)
- "Used to cannibalism" (less debuff from eating people)
- "Seen too much gore" (less debuff from seen dead people)
- "Get used to heat" (less debuff from heat)

One time my colony was survived only by eating pirates (It was a really desperate situation). But it was strange to me that my pawns was still disgusted from eating humans even after 3 month of doing so. IMO it is more than enough time to accept such terrible thing as normal state of existance. People can adapt to everything.

Also some ideas:
- "I HATE potatoes!" (debuff from eating potatoes; to pawn that was eaten too much of them and want something different)
- "Fear of fire" (debuff from seen fire; to pawn that was burned hard)
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Likif

I like it. Total War games have this, it adds significantly to the characterisation of the, um, characters, because their history is written in their traits.

Johnny Masters

I like this, i like this a lot and agree with all the points made above (such as the difference between a normal or psychopath battle veteran). It kind of feels like deja-vu because i think i've commented on something similar a few months ago.
In fallout we had traits, perks and acquired free perks. All of those where really fun and changed your gameplay.

Traits in total war where for me like half the fun. Really, i couldn't care less about the battles (which is weird since i'm a strategy buff). I still recount to my friends, to this days, the tales of my ubber awesome french general Laurent, the old fucker had nothing less than 12 or so traits, all badass.

A case could be made in that how different situations would affect people differently. Perhaps a vat grown soldier is to be less affected by constant gore than a sheltered child.

Traits could be some kind of psychological trauma/learning or some professional specialization.

I also often wondered that some backgrounds have it "Sniper from x village", but there's nothing to put apart him from any other good shot. So perhaps a sniper is an acquired trait that gives bonus to sniper weapons only. So traits could also work like job specializations, say a crafter that is specially good at carving stone or a medic that is awesome at surgery while another is better at curing diseases. (on a side track: perhaps discovering what sickness ails your people would need a medic check?)

Shinzy

I'd like the age to be a factor in this kinda thing
as in very young colonists would be easier to mold
while elder ones would already be well set on their ways
(and possibly have more traits to begin with, if that isn't already a thing, I've never though to see if that's the case)

The-MathMog

+1 for this. It would definately be interesting to see pawns developing minor traits over a long period of time, if put in certain conditions. Especially the cannibal one, or even psycopath or bloodlust, if put in a situation where they kill wounded people.
There could be some really in debth game mechanics in this, but it's probably a very long and complicated integration. Let's just hope, that this will be in the Dev's consideration at least :)

darkless2015

I would also like to see some diverse and even extreme personality, emotion and mental condition. From time to time we stumble upon a psychopath who doesn't get much effected harvesting organs from prisoners and even executing them if he/she is convince that its for the best interest of the colony.

SuperCaffeineDude

I totally agree with the general premise of this post, right now the condition of a psychopath/sadist is incredibly desirable and is pretty much essential for a 24-7 trooper. I think there needs to be a point at which colonists harden there hearts, perhaps as a result the social/arts skills dip to accommodate traits like...
“Cold” (Fine with Slavery & Killing)
“Veteran” (Fine with killing and corpses)
“Vengeful” (Temporarily blood-lust)
“Solemn” (Temporarily unsociable)
“Broken” (Anything goes)
And in terms of just making in generally more dynamic maybe stuff like...
“Religious” (+negative effects of amoral acts, -negative effects of other hardships)
“Fat” (-movement speed, +warmth, +hunger)
“Malnorished” (-energy, -health, no hauling)

In terms of weapon familiarity, I think we could defiantly use this. For instance a really good Archer shouldn't be a good sniper by default, nor should a professional sniper be just as proficient as an assault.

Professor Cupcake

A big ol' +1 to this.

This is something that the game really, really needs.

(PS: Have a read. Pyschopathy is not something you can develop [though there is some debate about that], and PTSD is probably going to cause a lot more than an abrasive personality.)