Sharing rooms vs cramped environment debuffs.

Started by Sacarathe, December 03, 2013, 07:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Sorry for necroing an old topic but it is related.

People talk about the debuffs but there are other considerations to consider too. It's occurred to me lately that my 40 people colony takes a lot of space and it's a struggle to find where to put the next room that is as close as possible to the kitchen. So it occurs to me that if I had everyone in one large room everyone would be really close to the kitchen so they could have fast starts to the morning and it would save a lot of resources that I would have used on room walls, floors and doors (as well as the corridors to the rooms).

So I'm thinking of trying a communal living area on my next colony with maybe single rooms for problem colonists. What do you think? Makes sense? Does anybody already do this?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Pathing

Quote from: Rock5 on January 12, 2015, 09:55:43 PM
Sorry for necroing an old topic but it is related.

People talk about the debuffs but there are other considerations to consider too. It's occurred to me lately that my 40 people colony takes a lot of space and it's a struggle to find where to put the next room that is as close as possible to the kitchen. So it occurs to me that if I had everyone in one large room everyone would be really close to the kitchen so they could have fast starts to the morning and it would save a lot of resources that I would have used on room walls, floors and doors (as well as the corridors to the rooms).

So I'm thinking of trying a communal living area on my next colony with maybe single rooms for problem colonists. What do you think? Makes sense? Does anybody already do this?

You should keep expanding and build another kill-box, kitchen, workshop, kill-box, etc., if it is necessary.

If you have an effective small kill-box that can kill 60+ pirates, when you send colonists to clean up the mess, these colonists will suffer from observe corpse penalty so much. Their mood will gradually decrease so you may want the best bed room for them so they can rest. (colonists with iron-will and sanguine traits are perfect for this cleaning job (change to hauling in next build, I guess) )

Only room that you need to plan is prisoner room (most luxury room ever). Generally, you may want it to be at the center of the map so everyone can access warden activity while prisoners have a hard time to escape which increases the change of recruiting new colonists.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

Rock5

Quote from: Pathing on January 12, 2015, 11:15:08 PM
You should keep expanding and build another kill-box, kitchen, workshop, kill-box, etc., if it is necessary.
Wouldn't you have problems with people not going to the kitchen you intended them to go if you have more than 1 kitchen? Still the rooms take up a lot of space and waste resources.

Quote from: Pathing on January 12, 2015, 11:15:08 PM
If you have an effective small kill-box that can kill 60+ pirates, when you send colonists to clean up the mess, these colonists will suffer from observe corpse penalty so much. Their mood will gradually decrease so you may want the best bed room for them so they can rest. (colonists with iron-will and sanguine traits are perfect for this cleaning job (change to hauling in next build, I guess) )
You must play on a harder level than me. I think I'm playing Cassandra Builder mode. I get about 15 pirates at the moment after about 5 years and 40 colonists. My kill box handles 15 pirates easy, although recently they have been better armed and have been destroying a lot more of my turrets before fleeing. I've been thinking of a redesign. My colonists seem to handle seeing the dead bodies easy enough but I have a couple that have lower (or is it higher) cracking thresholds that would need their own room so they'd have 1 less thing to complain about.

Quote from: Pathing on January 12, 2015, 11:15:08 PMOnly room that you need to plan is prisoner room (most luxury room ever). Generally, you may want it to be at the center of the map so everyone can access warden activity while prisoners have a hard time to escape which increases the change of recruiting new colonists.
I already do that although I just stick a superior wood sculpture in there for the "Very pleasant environment" buff. I think this is the first colony that I've have separate prison rooms. They are off the hospital which is just of the kitchen. I have my best social colonist doing the recruiting. I assume they have the best chance. I only recruit another warden when I end up with too many prisoners for 1 to handle in a timely manner.

I just had a thought. I linked the prison rooms together without using a corridor because I was running out of space. Why do we even need corridors for the bedrooms? I doubt there is a debuff for people walking through your room while you are trying to sleep. That would save a lot of space and make adding rooms a lot easier. So I think I'll try communal living in my next colony but if I don't like it I'll build rooms without corridors in the next colony.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Rock5 on January 13, 2015, 01:50:31 AM
I doubt there is a debuff for people walking through your room while you are trying to sleep.

There is in A9, apparently.

Quote from: Changelog
Dec 22
  • Colonists are now bothered by people walking around inside the room while they sleep.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Pathing

QuoteWouldn't you have problems with people not going to the kitchen you intended them to go if you have more than 1 kitchen? Still the rooms take up a lot of space and waste resources.

No, because I had canteen+garden+kitchen+food storage room next to each other.
I had 30-33 colonists or less per this set. My colony could easily consume 2000 steel in 2-3 days and I needed to buy more blocks from traders. With many colonists I don't think you will have a problem about manpower. I always play on Cassandra which scales on the number of colonists+wealth on extreme challenge which gives me about 2x the number of colonists which yields great amount of profit for every raids that let me buy lots of steel, blocks and many goods in exchange of  pirate goods.

Since you play in builder mode, it may seem to be a problem that you can not find those resources easily but in extreme challenge mode, to acquire these goods, it is easy which, in this case, means less time consuming because of higher number of raiders.

QuoteI already do that although I just stick a superior wood sculpture in there for the "Very pleasant environment" buff. I think this is the first colony that I've have separate prison rooms. They are off the hospital which is just of the kitchen. I have my best social colonist doing the recruiting. I assume they have the best chance. I only recruit another warden when I end up with too many prisoners for 1 to handle in a timely manner.

You need some separate rooms for prisoners and may be more separate rooms. The problem is that they may get mad after seeing their old mates died after they are captured. They may attack other prisoners and may be killed by warden by punching or other prisoners are dead because of their psychotic thought. Abrasive trait prisoners are troublesome as well. You need to separate them to public abrasive prisoner room later but since you play on builder mode, it will take, probably, many many hours to reach that point.
Steel is RimWorld.

Rock5

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 13, 2015, 01:59:39 AM
Quote from: Rock5 on January 13, 2015, 01:50:31 AM
I doubt there is a debuff for people walking through your room while you are trying to sleep.

There is in A9, apparently.

Quote from: Changelog
Dec 22
  • Colonists are now bothered by people walking around inside the room while they sleep.
Thanks for the heads up. Oh well. I wonder how much the debuff will be. Does that mean if you use shared accomodation they will get 2 debuffs, "Shared bedroom" and "Someone walking in room"?

Quote from: Pathing on January 13, 2015, 03:56:50 AM
QuoteYou need some separate rooms for prisoners and may be more separate rooms. The problem is that they may get mad after seeing their old mates died after they are captured. They may attack other prisoners and may be killed by warden by punching or other prisoners are dead because of their psychotic thought. Abrasive trait prisoners are troublesome as well. You need to separate them to public abrasive prisoner room later but since you play on builder mode, it will take, probably, many many hours to reach that point.
Never had anything like that happen to me on the easier mode. I treat them right, feed them chat with them and they have never become psychotic on me. I might have to try a harder mode 1 of these days but the enjoyment in the game for me is the building so I'm not too bothered if the events are too easy.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Mihsan

Quote from: Sacarathe on December 03, 2013, 07:53:45 AM
Which is best, lots of small rooms or few large rooms?

I always go for small 2x2 rooms with one bed and door. Cramped debuff is ignorable because it does not stay. Easy to heat/cool through the main coridor.

Shared bedrooms are more likely will lead to mental snaps because of permanent debuff, but they are the most cost effective (less space and walls per pawn).

And large rooms are just a waste of resources. Hard to heat/cool, takes too much space, expensive on walls and floor. And all this for buff, that will fade away when pawn will go out of the room.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Leird

I normally do 1x3 room, 1 tile for the door to the room, and then 2 tiles for the bed. Bedroom sorted ^^ Leaves plenty of room for other stuff in the fortress.

Rock5

Good point, maybe I'll do that next time.

Leird, any reason why you have a square for the door? I assume you mean between the bed and the door. Can we use 1x2 rooms?

Maybe something like this.

6 squares per room on average.

But I like using vents to equalize the temperatures in the rooms so maybe something like this.

7 1/2 per room. Still not bad.

BTW is there a way to link to an attachment in the post so you can place an image where you want it?

Edit: Thanks. figures out how to add images in line.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

amul

If you're going to go with 1x2 rooms, then you might as well go the extra half step and make sure the pillows are facing the door, since pawns enter beds from the pillow tile. (Royal beds I believe it is always one specific pillow tile, but I can't figure out how to describe which.) Saves you the time spent walking at half speed over half the bed.

I've been designing "open floor plan" bases without hallways in them since The Sims, I think. I hate hallways. I would much rather have every bedroom open into a grand dining room or something.

My base layouts and and bedroom designs tend to have more to do with roleplaying thoughts about the desires of each colonist than they do with technical considerations of the game system. My most valuable colonists get the best rooms with the most stuff. Abrasive characters get little shacks on the outside of my perimeter defenses.

Rock5

Quote from: amul on January 13, 2015, 11:48:06 PM
If you're going to go with 1x2 rooms, then you might as well go the extra half step and make sure the pillows are facing the door, since pawns enter beds from the pillow tile.
You mean in the first picture, because they are both 1x2 size rooms? I see what you mean. Putting the pillow end near the door would probably be faster.

Quote from: amul on January 13, 2015, 11:48:06 PM(Royal beds I believe it is always one specific pillow tile, but I can't figure out how to describe which.)
With double beds it's definitely the side I used in the second picture but I haven't tested single beds to see if they have a preference as to which side they get on. I just assumed it's the same as double beds and set them up like that accordingly.

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

milon

Quote from: Rock5 on January 13, 2015, 10:36:05 PMBTW is there a way to link to an attachment in the post so you can place an image where you want it?

Sort of.  You have to attach your image to your post first, then go back and edit your post with IMG tags to put it in the body of the post.  It'll still show up as an attachment at the bottom.  Note that you can get a URL for the thumbnail or the fullsize image (or both).

^ Like so.  And speaking of which, here's a more efficient way of doing the same thing:

You could be more efficient by leaving out the "corner" wall blocks, and the middle of the "T" parts. On the left is the basic setup.  Doesn't really matter what the doors are since I'm going to prop them open at all times.  See the column on the right.  I've made a dumping stockpile for pants only.  It's still a private room, but with equalized temperature and no slow-down going between the bedroom and whatever it's connected to.

EDIT - Added my "full size" pictured from attachment to in-post.

Pathing

^^ If these doors were built in zigzag shape at center instead, you would have long line thick wall (5x wide, how awesome is that!?) that can be used for residential purpose.

And If you want more space for walk, just add more doors instead of wall and keep it open by using method above.... even though it may look unrealistic but it is really effective for small space.
Steel is RimWorld.

Rock5

Quote from: milon on January 14, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
You have to attach your image to your post first, then go back and edit your post with IMG tags to put it in the body of the post.  It'll still show up as an attachment at the bottom.  Note that you can get a URL for the thumbnail or the fullsize image (or both).
Thanks. Seems obvious now in hindsight.  :-[ I was able to edit my post the way I wanted to.

Quote from: milon on January 14, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
And speaking of which, here's a more efficient way of doing the same thing:
Nice. So basically it uses the same space as my first pic but with shared doors. I didn't know about that trick with the items holding open the doors although technically speaking your design has room for vents where I had the doors. So I could either use vents or prop the door open like you. Although your way you can use normal doors but get no slow down when going through like autodoors saving steel and power.

Quote from: Pathing on January 14, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
^^ If these doors were built in zigzag shape at center instead, you would have long line thick wall (5x wide, how awesome is that!?) that can be used for residential purpose.
Do you mean like this.

That is whacked!! That's 4 squares per person! Even with our best ones above you would have to include the corridors when calculating space used so they take 7 squares per person. Although I think you couldn't use it in alpha 9 because that would be classed as people walking in your bedroom. With milons version you still get your privacy.

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport