Will there be a way to donate to the kickstarter through Paypal?

Started by Yarkista, September 28, 2013, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarkista

Title explains most of it, I don't have a credit card but I do have a paypal account, is there any way I can contribute to the game?

nomadseifer

Kickstarter does not allow PayPal payment but most projects will allow separate contributions via PayPal and then show the progress in the ks updates and include it in the totals for stretch goals.   I can't speak for rimworld but that's typically how it goes.
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Yarkista

Quote from: nomadseifer on September 28, 2013, 03:37:12 PM
Kickstarter does not allow PayPal payment but most projects will allow separate contributions via PayPal and then show the progress in the ks updates and include it in the totals for stretch goals.   I can't speak for rimworld but that's typically how it goes.

Indeed, I was refering to the method you described and if rimworld was going to use it.

Tynan

Quote from: Yarkista on September 28, 2013, 01:40:53 PM
Title explains most of it, I don't have a credit card but I do have a paypal account, is there any way I can contribute to the game?

Good call. I'll set up a Paypal system for RimWorld.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 28, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
Quote from: Yarkista on September 28, 2013, 01:40:53 PM
Good call. I'll set up a Paypal system for RimWorld.
Ah very good, should get you a few more contributions.

williamknox

Thank you Tynan for doing something a lot of people don't do on Kickstarter.

Tynan

I hope it's worth it!

My only concern with this is diverting people away from KS. It would suck to get $5000 through Paypal and somehow miss the KS goal by $2500.

Conti027

Quote from: Tynan on September 30, 2013, 12:02:59 PM
I hope it's worth it!

My only concern with this is diverting people away from KS. It would suck to get $5000 through Paypal and somehow miss the KS goal by $2500.

Well you already nailed the KS goal so thats not a problem but Thank you for setting up a PayPal. I'm not a big fan of sites I have to put my card info into.

LittleMikey

I hope it's worth it!

I came here right after watching Quill18's video and wanted to participate! I'm thinking of putting down for the Pirate tier, but I wanted to ask; if I donate via PayPal or Kickstarter, which gives you the larger share? I am happy to do either, but I'd like to make sure you receive the most possible!

Tynan

Quote from: LittleMikey on October 06, 2013, 08:29:34 AM
I hope it's worth it!

I came here right after watching Quill18's video and wanted to participate! I'm thinking of putting down for the Pirate tier, but I wanted to ask; if I donate via PayPal or Kickstarter, which gives you the larger share? I am happy to do either, but I'd like to make sure you receive the most possible!

Thanks man! I get 5% more through PayPal. Choose whichever you prefer, it's no biggie to me.

SpaceEatingTrex

Tynan, just as a heads up you should leave the Paypal and other pre-order venues up even after the Kickstarter is over. That way people who find out about RimWorld too late to make the Kickstarter can still pre-order it. Kaiju Combat gets ~$500 a month from Paypal pre-orders after the Kickstarter ended without even having a playable pre-Alpha. I'm sure having the LPs and other gameplay videos will make more people aware of RimWorld after the Kickstarter ends.

Dejix

Wait... Paypal takes 35% of total pledge/payment amount!? I remember reading somewhere that Kickstarter and Amazon combined take about 30% of total pledge amount much like other online markets.

Tynan

Quote from: Dejix on October 07, 2013, 08:19:17 PM
Wait... Paypal takes 35% of total pledge/payment amount!? I remember reading somewhere that Kickstarter and Amazon combined take about 30% of total pledge amount much like other online markets.

No, Kickstarter itself takes 5%, and their payment providers take 3-5%. Paypal for me takes around 3%.

Dejix

So doesn't that mean you get 5% MORE through Paypal and not less like your other post stated? I pledge on Paypal thinking you would get a bigger chunk of the pledge. To be fair I'm also pledging on Kickstarter for a second copy of the game and updates.

Tynan

Quote from: Dejix on October 07, 2013, 10:51:46 PM
So doesn't that mean you get 5% MORE through Paypal and not less like your other post stated? I pledge on Paypal thinking you would get a bigger chunk of the pledge. To be fair I'm also pledging on Kickstarter for a second copy of the game and updates.

Ah! Yes, you're correct. That was a typo, I've fixed it.

So: Kickstarter I keep 91%, PayPal I keep 97%.

Thanks for targeting to get me that extra couple bucks :)