How do YOU play?

Started by DeltaV, November 09, 2013, 01:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

*Emphasis on the 'you' in the title because otherwise it sounds like I'm asking how to play the game*

Anyways, this thread is basically just to satisfy my curiosity on how people play the game. Do you build a sprawling mega-fortress over days IRL of playing, or play one game for a few hours and then go to another? Do you build huge, elaborate killboxes to fight raiders, or do you build a defensive line and fight directly? Do you use a ton of turrets or no turrets? That kind of stuff.

Personally, this is what I do:
• Individual runs will last either until I'm overwhelmed by raiders, which doesn't happen much unless it's an RR or Kassandra game, or for a day or two, at which point I declare my colony a success and move on to the next.
• No killboxes. I go with 2-wall, 2-sandbag lines at the outskirts of my colony, which is usually mostly-outdoors, and fight from there.
• Average of three turrets, one on each cardinal direction (Since there's always a huge mountain on one side).

I was just wondering because, based off of the 'show off your base' thread, it seems like most people prefer to build huge bases with killboxes in the mountains and I was wondering how many people do it differently.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Showoff

I play a single Classic game until there's a version update, then I completely start over.

Even if all my colonists end up dying I like to stay in the same game until a wanderer shows up.

Amaror

Depends. Right now i am playing a challenge game of Kassandra Classic, without any Killboxes or turrets. It just get's too easy with those. It actually worked out really well. I had a lot of luck with my map and while it has been pretty damn difficult i now got to the point were i can defend against most raider attacks.
Plus: Fighting with your colonists is just way more exciting and way more fun than fighting with turrets.
I have 8 dudes right now with 2 snipers with M-24's, 4 dudes with M-16's and 2 with charge-rifles. And with the swws tactic i have done pretty well. What i have learned the hard way, though: When you set up a defense, ALWAYS put a blasting charge next to it, just so that you can blow it up, should the raiders ever land really near your base and reach the defense position before you. This cost me one of my starter dudes to learn. And: As annoying as grenades are when the enemy has them, they suck a lot when you try to use them.

zztangnr

I will always build comfortable bedrooms for every colonist, which means have at least 6*5 blocks of space. If the bedrooms are not ready I will not recruit them.

I don't build many turrets, one or two. Most of the time I send my men to the battleground. I will use dump area set up in front of my base as defenses, and yes I will not set up narrow places for the raiders and blast them when they are passing. Just fight in the open ground, M-24s are good enough for defence.

For Cassandra games if my colony is good enough I will start a new one. For Randy random, I will try to expand it as much as possible.

There was one time in a fight ten of my men died and only one scientist survived and she is incapable of social work, which means cannot be a warden. I have like four prisoners but she cannot provide food for them. What I did is I plant the crops in prisoners' room, when the crops are harvested, the prisoner will grab the raw food immediately and eat it. Quite a painful process, and three out of four prisoners died in starvation. However I managed to wait till a slave trader come and hire a warden. Then the whole colony revived.

Showoff

Quote from: zztangnrThere was one time in a fight ten of my men died and only one scientist survived and she is incapable of social work, which means cannot be a warden. I have like four prisoners but she cannot provide food for them. What I did is I plant the crops in prisoners' room, when the crops are harvested, the prisoner will grab the raw food immediately and eat it. Quite a painful process, and three out of four prisoners died in starvation. However I managed to wait till a slave trader come and hire a warden. Then the whole colony revived.

Here's a tip, you don't actually need a warden to just feed your prisoners. Place a nutrient paste dispenser in the room where you keep your prisoners and they'll actually feed themselves when they get hungry.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

zztangnr

Quote from: Showoff on November 09, 2013, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: zztangnrThere was one time in a fight ten of my men died and only one scientist survived and she is incapable of social work, which means cannot be a warden. I have like four prisoners but she cannot provide food for them. What I did is I plant the crops in prisoners' room, when the crops are harvested, the prisoner will grab the raw food immediately and eat it. Quite a painful process, and three out of four prisoners died in starvation. However I managed to wait till a slave trader come and hire a warden. Then the whole colony revived.

Here's a tip, you don't actually need a warden to just feed your prisoners. Place a nutrient paste dispenser in the room where you keep your prisoners and they'll actually feed themselves when they get hungry.

Yeah thanks for the tip. I realized that later, from some other posts. My way of doing that was kind of silly, but still without warden they cannot be recruited.

todofwar

I build into the mountains mostly because I get very frustrated by all the fires. I must not be very good though, I wind up playing till I die and that never takes too long. Lately I've been finding the closest steam geyser and making a geothermal plant my top priority.