remove name from world name pool after death.

Started by OldVamp, January 13, 2015, 06:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldVamp

I don't know how may times I have killed that hayhouse guy, but he keeps coming back for more..

but yeah. once a name has been seen and killed don't reuse it.
unless maybe its 'son of hayhouse'  ::)
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Johnny Masters

Or one of his 15 brothers. It might actually start explaining why the raiders are so insistent on taking you on every month or so, it's a blood feud!

Mihsan

Quote from: OldVamp on January 13, 2015, 06:27:37 PM
I don't know how may times I have killed that hayhouse guy, but he keeps coming back for more..

but yeah. once a name has been seen and killed don't reuse it.
unless maybe its 'son of hayhouse'  ::)

We just need more names on the list. Then they will not repeat so often.

Also i do not know how many times i have killed Val.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Evelyn

Until you have a graveyard dedicated specifically to Jon, next to 8 plots of Tynans, you have no right to complain.

Coenmcj

Might explain why Rimworld is so good. It's because we have 8 Tynan's working on it simultaneously!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Evelyn

Well, yes. Until I killed them. The long delay between Alpha 7 and Alpha 8 was because of me.

ZestyLemons

I'd like to see this happen. I don't think it's too hard to keep a list of all assigned names in the world and only assign ones that haven't been assigned before (in the case that all names are taken, it's probably okay to wipe the list and begin again).
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Mikhail Reign

The fact that everyone commonly sees the names come around time and again means that if a name was scrubbed out whenever the owner died, it would only be 10 or so raids before the game just ran out of names entirely.

Apophis

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on January 14, 2015, 12:09:59 AM
The fact that everyone commonly sees the names come around time and again means that if a name was scrubbed out whenever the owner died, it would only be 10 or so raids before the game just ran out of names entirely.

This ^

Also, there are multiple people with the same names in real life, why is it strange to see it happen in Rimworld?

Enjoyment

Quote from: Evelyn on January 13, 2015, 10:15:14 PM
Well, yes. Until I killed them. The long delay between Alpha 7 and Alpha 8 was because of me.
You know, that everytime you kill Tynan in game, one feature of Alpha 9 disappears from Rimworld changelog? So stop.

Quote from: Apophis on January 14, 2015, 08:07:55 AM
Also, there are multiple people with the same names in real life, why is it strange to see it happen in Rimworld?
It's strange to see so many Tynans (we all know that he's one of a kind) or Korish (which isn't a name exactly - it's cyrillic "buddy" inscribed in translit with a mistake (or I could be terribly wrong if this a real name)). And that leads us to implemention of names-selection-priority system with 'common', 'rare' and 'unique' lists.
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Evelyn

One of my friends has the last name of "Koresh"
His family is Bohemian/Czech.

SuperCaffeineDude

I think if you're "simulating" an entire galaxy of humans that are practically aliens to themselves the idea of sharing names so often becomes a little odd.

You know, that everytime you kill Tynan in game, one feature of Alpha 9 disappears from Rimworld changelog? So stop.

Lol, a scary thought indeed, will have to be on the lookout for now on.

Coenmcj

As Tynan, Bad magicican, rounds the last wall into the killbox of crashville, he sees the turrets powering off, the colonists throwing down their weapons and raising their hands in surrender.

'eh?' he asks in a state of confusion, lowering his weapon.

His raider buddies raise their own and fire into the masses, mowing down the inhabitants of crashville in seconds...
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Eleazar

Don't some of the characters have unique names and backstories?  Like whenever you meet Foo "Abritrary", his backstory, job and nick-name will be the same, and used nowhere else?  Those characters would make sense only appearing once.

Splinterbee

I have killed salt all to many times... It's like shadow of mordor where you don't cut off there heads and the come back
Video games, are pretty good