Suggest-a-game

Started by BokaliMali, January 14, 2015, 12:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BokaliMali

For me, or anyone else who wants to try something new!

I'll give you some deets to work with: I've realised the reason I love rimworld has a lot to do with the slow gameplay. I can sink hours into this game without noticing. (I've literally had to set alarms when I start playing) I also like the simplistic graphics and the sense of excited exploration I get whenever I scope out a new embark site.

Same reasons I love Terraria. (Granted, it takes more reaction time etc. but you can still take your time, spending in-game-days to collect that armor upgrade just exploring around if you want to)

Now here's a kicker: I've checked out Dwarf Fortress and the unintuitive UI kills it for me. I've also looked at Gnomoria and... well, I like simple graphics but just the style of it bothers me.

SO I'm looking for a game that moves slowly, gives a sense of exploration, has fun, simple graphics and a not-infuriating UI. Not neccesarily in the colony building or crafting genre. (though those are the games I've enjoyed most in the past)

Not minecraft. I've played it to death.

SUGGESTIFY ME CAPTAIN!

Like.. like crunchify? Like the cereal? ... Captian... captain crunch? I'll let myself out...

Evelyn

Mount and Blade: Warband. I will say nothing more, because it needs no further explanation.

milon

Elona (the RPG, not Shooter).  You control 1 character and you can pursuethe story line or just do your own thing (become a shop owner, a notorious thief, etc).  You can even keep playing after you beat it.

Facepunch

Quote from: Evelyn on January 14, 2015, 01:10:18 AM
Mount and Blade: Warband. I will say nothing more, because it needs no further explanation.

This. Ive burned ~300 hours into this game, never run outta stuff to do.

Viajo

Have you tried Towns? Its on Steam, but it comes with issues. While it is very enjoyable in its current form, its mechanics have a steep learning curve. Alas production has kinda stagnated. So many hours dumped into that lol.

kic

Quote from: BokaliMali on January 14, 2015, 12:58:07 AM
Now here's a kicker: I've checked out Dwarf Fortress and the unintuitive UI kills it for me.

Silly question, but have you tried the Lazy Newb Pack for DF? Dwarf Therapist (in addition to some of the other stuff) helps address some of DF's UI peculiarities (how's that for a neutral word?). Granted, you're still mostly left with the original UI, but I found some of those tools/changes to be enough to help me enjoy what is an otherwise fun (and ridiculously complex) game.

Also, not quite the same genre, but you may enjoy FTL. Fun, fun game that you can play in an hour or two, yet find yourself sitting and playing multiple rounds without realizing how much time has passed.

putsam

how about Rimworld perhaps?

milon

Spiderweb Software just released their remake of Avernum 2: Crystal Souls.  I played the series back when it was called Exile, and it was pretty phenomenal.  The Avernum series is pretty great too.  There's free demos if you want to try them.

Darth Fool

Chaos Reborn by the designer of the original X-com.

Coenmcj

Quote from: milon on January 30, 2015, 11:52:20 AM
Spiderweb Software just released their remake of Avernum 2: Crystal Souls.  I played the series back when it was called Exile, and it was pretty phenomenal.  The Avernum series is pretty great too.  There's free demos if you want to try them.

The remake of a remake.. Heh...
I used to love that game so much I went and set-up a VM just for Exile 1 through 3, The originals.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Evelyn

Post redacted, I'd rather not start this.

milon

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 31, 2015, 06:07:27 AM
I used to love that game so much I went and set-up a VM just for Exile 1 through 3, The originals.

You too, eh?  ;)

hesoyam

it's possibly a stretch but did you try King of the Dragon Pass? It has simple but cool graphics, slow gameplay and a great story that you uncover taking care of your clan and exploring the world

Then there are Majesty kingdom sims and both the cyberlore original and the paradox sequels are good, their ui can be a pain  :D

You can try Space Colony by firefly, it's colourful, interesting, has aliens and is just complex enough to be fun

Now if you can read Japanese or don't mind trying older games or even using dosbox I could have up to a few dozen games that you prolly never heard of but fit
Quote from: BokaliMali on January 14, 2015, 12:58:07 AMSO I'm looking for a game that moves slowly, gives a sense of exploration, has fun, simple graphics and a not-infuriating UI.
*and that's just the
Quote from: BokaliMali on January 14, 2015, 12:58:07 AMthe colony building or crafting genre

Darth Fool

Also, Battle For Wesnoth, an open source turn based strategy game with lots of campaigns and mods.

Daemoneyes

hoi

@Gnomoria
well yes graphics and ui are not its bigges point but once you get over that it becomes really good, so maybe give it another try

@Games
Prison Architekt
Icewind Dale series
Wasteland 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Fallout tactics, bad reputation but imho a good game
This War of mine
Project Zomboid
Banished, i suggest mods once you learned the basics
Dwelvers, didnt play much but looks promising (didnt finish it so halfhearted suggestion only)
Dont starve together, beta but very polished for one and imho really fun with a friend or more
A game of dwarves, simpler but better looking gnomoria (didnt finish it so halfhearted suggestion only)
The Guild 2: Renaissance, less bugs than the other Guild 2 versions but still some nonetheless really good, especially in multi
Kenshi, hard to suggest at its current state but worth to keep an eye on
Life is Feudal: Your Own, you need a bunch of people to have fun playing it but then its really fun
Majesty 2, simple yet challenging

to lazy for more right now