Show us your killbox

Started by OldVamp, January 14, 2015, 03:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldVamp

Show us your killbox  :o

Please keep the images small or host them off forum so we don't take up all the storage / bandwidth and or anger the hardworking moderators.

This image is a cropped,
re-sized to 600 pixels wide,
128 bit color pallet,
no dithering,
.png (portable network graphics)
54kb before upload

I have 30 colonists in this colony
they are armed mostly with R4 charge rifles and m-16's
I keep around 3 with m-24's for picking off sythers that tend to loiter outside the base without attacking.
this killbox started off on the left with 2 wide turrets and expanded right
it is currently handling around 60 pirates with minimal repair
2 - 5 turrets, 0-5 sandbags, 2-3 granite walls

[attachment deleted due to age]
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Arenji

Does having double-wide sandbags decrease the accuracy of your pawns? I don't know how it works but would have assumed that every sandbag except the one you're directly behind would decrease your accuracy? Actually it occurs to me I have no idea how much protection a sandbag gives you.

OldVamp

they decrease accuracy closer to the end of the fire, they seem to shoot over them just fine.
the ones closer to the pawns are mostly to keep raiders out of melee range.
when they are standing 'on top' of the sandbags they provide little cover, standing 'behind' the sandbags is what provides cover.
which is why the turrets are surrounded, it absorbs some of the fire so they last longer drawing the raiders in close, close + turret explosion = shredded raiders.
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

kasimirtlw

for shredded raiders I make tiny kill rooms. room size of 2*3 tiles with one turret in it and 2 doors
1 in  and 1 out to the next small kill room  . Works great on the red carpet of death (Crazy squirrels overrun )

Arenji

Quote from: OldVamp on January 14, 2015, 03:56:52 AM
they decrease accuracy closer to the end of the fire, they seem to shoot over them just fine.
the ones closer to the pawns are mostly to keep raiders out of melee range.
when they are standing 'on top' of the sandbags they provide little cover, standing 'behind' the sandbags is what provides cover.
which is why the turrets are surrounded, it absorbs some of the fire so they last longer drawing the raiders in close, close + turret explosion = shredded raiders.

Thanks. What with turrets now needing to be turned on and off by colonists in the next version, I reckon I'll need to use less turrets and a kill box more like this one. My concern was always the flood of raiders reaching melee range.

Gonorejus

milon

I thought turrets and other buildings no longer benefited from sand bags, but I can't find that in the change log. Maybe I just made that up in my head?

Utherix

Quote from: milon on January 14, 2015, 07:17:04 AM
I thought turrets and other buildings no longer benefited from sand bags, but I can't find that in the change log. Maybe I just made that up in my head?

They don't.

The-MathMog

This is mine. With an inner an outer perimeter. Normally they don't even reach the inner, as they are focused on the outer, and are eventually beaten. Even smaller groups of mechs succumb to it! :)

Oh, and the hardest challenge it has faced yet!!

bullwinkle

may be in the wrong thread, but i want to post some sreenshots but would like to turn OFF the UI, how do i do so?

thanks

Enjoyment

I really think that the right place for this topic is in the "Story" thread... Cause you have nothing with suggestion or discussion...
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Tankh

Quote from: bullwinkle on January 14, 2015, 02:09:58 PM
may be in the wrong thread, but i want to post some sreenshots but would like to turn OFF the UI, how do i do so?

thanks

F9. and F10 for screenshot.

postm00v

Quote from: Gonorejus on January 14, 2015, 07:04:42 AM
You might want to check out this thread
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5936

Wow! That Pacman defense system looks awesome. Do you know which video he shows it in action?

Scotty

Simple killbox.
Double layered wall with sandbags. Designed to stop long rang snipers/mechs from picking my turrets off

Endoric

I use rock chunks to slow enemy approaches.  Are sand bags better?