Ambiguity in Skills/Personality traits

Started by Bullfrog1, January 15, 2015, 03:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullfrog1

First, I want to say thanks for this pretty glorious game. It's been a blast so far.

One thing that I've notice that in my opinion takes a lot away from the game, is how personality traits and skill set is known up front. You know the skills/characteristics of people you've never met before, be it visitors, rebels, or people dropping out of space simply by checking their character tab.

This leads to a lot of min/maxing colonist. We can't have psychopaths, we need people with green thumbs etc. People with negative traits are used to store organs for the colonist with better traits* right out the gate or are just released/killed.

To me, this is a bit gamey. It encourage the game to become stale since you can control the domestic threats by simply not recruiting people with undesirable traits. I'd like there to be a psychopath/pessimist/abrasive person in the mix, and I want to be unaware to these traits, at least initially. Like wise for positive traits.

So to the point.

I think it would be nice to see all skills/personality traits as well as their history and maybe some internal health issues as unknown when you initially meet new characters. You would be able to "unlock" (at least visually) these 'traits' threw time and socializing. Colonist with a high social level will be able to unlock other character traits faster. Traits will be reveled individually and in random order, none of that: Surprise, you're an open book! magic.

Their traits will be there, they are simply unknown to you until they are uncovered.

An exception.

Prisoners can't have their traits unlock threw time (Only by socializing with colonist, it should take long enough to encourage you to attempt recruiting them before all is known rather than another mouth to feed)

Adhoc:
Additionally maybe some new traits, like shameful and proudful.
Shameful will only let traits appear threw time. (This will cause a interesting dynamic when you have prisoners who are ashamed of their traits)
Proudful will uncover all of their traits on the first conversation.

Thanks for your time.

*I use the word 'Trait' to cover general information you wouldn't have about a person initially.
I.e. History, Skills, Personality, Medical issues. so on.