Building bases inside mountains

Started by Barney372, January 15, 2015, 07:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney372

ok, this seems the best thing for survival (read title)... But...

When building in a mountain, how do you vent the heat, efficiently? (i know, place a cooler etc...)... So you dig into your mountain, you build 5 rooms, 3 of them have an outside wall... how do you vent the heat from the other 2 rooms, which do not have an outside wall? do i just mine a chanle to the outside and then place my cooler? or is there a more space efficient way??

Thanks

christhekiller

You could build exhaust tunnels that surround the base, though mining those out would take a bit of time.

Enjoyment

I solve it like that - all my corridors are outside zone )
like this
or this
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Barney372

thats what i thought... thanks for the insight :)

Coenmcj

Oh nice one there Enjoyment.
I personally do something similiar or if I'm turtling hard I'll vent directly into my killbox. Gets the heat in there pretty high if you can do it right.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Enjoyment

Oh, the killbox, yeah.. You see... I.. haven't one... Not of any kind )
Played my challenges long enough in A6 and A7, so for now im playing on Phoebe Builder's just for  figuring out the best base/rooms structure... And trying all those fancy mods that I just started to use (Played only vanilla before A8)...
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

JimmyAgnt007

I did the tactic where you make corridors outside, but that was after I built the whole place.  If i were to do it again I suggest having the heat dumped into tiny 1x1 rooms that dont connect to anything.  Though it would be nice if we had a 'vent' type structure.  Something that lets us dump the heat without opening the base up to drop pods.

Coenmcj

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 15, 2015, 08:50:24 AM
I did the tactic where you make corridors outside, but that was after I built the whole place.  If i were to do it again I suggest having the heat dumped into tiny 1x1 rooms that dont connect to anything.  Though it would be nice if we had a 'vent' type structure.  Something that lets us dump the heat without opening the base up to drop pods.
It's all apart of the pro's and cons of turtling. although the outside corridor definitely helps with that cabin fever.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Bunnie

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 15, 2015, 08:50:24 AM
Theres a mod that adds this feature :) [MOD] ( Alpha 8 ) Central Heating (includes vents)

Mikhail Reign

I just exhaust heat from rooms at the rear forward thought the rooms and then out the front door. its takes extra electricy, but you dont need any heaters, except in the very back room.

JimmyAgnt007

I like to do testing so I cant use mods.  The thing with cabin fever, I have NEVER had it as an issue.  I always used to turtle, before the heat and after.  It just never come up.  That being said, Im trying outdoor colonies lately.  The thing that gets me out of the mountains is the patches of thin roof that drop pods can break through. 

RedTheHusky

rooms near the room that your using as a freezer can get cold, mostly if the freezer is set below 0 °C
also , opening the doors allows heat to be transfered to the next room . The heat transfer is much slower by door than if it was a hole to the next room

Geertje123

I got airducts next to every room. Keeps every room always at a perfect steady temperature.

Barney372

O.o that is INSANE! I love your mountain... and i also now see how you dig in like that without it all falling on you... pillars ever 4 or every 6 squares?

Eleazar

In my experience, you don't need to heat/cool every room.  Control the temperature of the room/hall the bedrooms connect to, and the bedrooms will end up at a pretty similar temperature, especially if you don't use auto doors.