Ice blocks

Started by tuver, January 15, 2015, 02:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuver

So I have mainly been living in the cold, where if you get hit by a solar flare you run and build camp fires to keep the heat up. But I started playing in a tropical biome and temps outside have hit 150°F. When a solar flare hits, there's nothing you can do to keep cool, or food frozen.

I was thinking a solution to this would be ice blocks. similar to camp fires, but they reduce temp instead of increase it. Can be stored in a freezer until needed and melt when above freezing.

While I might be able to do something with re-writing the camp fire code. I was wondering if someone else could do better. adding water as a resource might also improve this, but I am not sure how I would go about adding water collecting to the game.

ItchyFlea

Since I've got a lot of free time today, I'll see what I can do.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Darth Fool

You can always set a room up as a freezer with a ridiculously low temperature.  When the solar flare hits during a heat wave, first thing you should do is get everyone inside, and lock the outermost door.  This will prevent your likely largest source of heating -- open doors.  After that, if necessary, you could lock them in the freezer.  This should easily last you for a day as long as no psychotic squirrels come knocking down your doors.

Still, +1 for ice blocks.  Maybe you could mine them in cold environments and use them to make ice walls.  Igloo anyone?

Igabod

it's really easy to make an item identical to the fire but which pushes negative heat. The problem is there is no temperatureMin cutoff like there is with the temperatureMax. This means that as long as the item lasts (assuming you make it a temporary item like the campfire) it will continually drop the temperature in the room and not stop. While I was playing around with cooling I got a room down to -200 in no time. If you can do the C# programming to add a temperatureMin that stops the pushHeat function from pushing anymore until the temperature goes above that set temp then this would be very helpful to me in my Temperature Control mod though.

ItchyFlea

Sorry Igabod, I haven't created a tempMin cutoff comp. It's all controlled in the C# code. You'll see what I've done to stop it dropping the temperature.
No <comps> at all on this IceBlock actually (mainly because they didn't work for some reason), yet it still behaves like it has them.

I'll include the source code with the mod when it's done. I "borrowed" the code from the cooler code using ILSpy, then spent the past few hours yelling at the screen.
I'm almost done yelling though. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

ItchyFlea