[MOD] (Alpha 8) Ice Blocks (cooling) v1.1

Started by ItchyFlea, January 15, 2015, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Ice Blocks v1.1

Description:
This mod adds ice blocks to the game. Pretty much these are the opposide of campfires, and serve to cool down the location they are placed in. It melts and disappears after about a day.
The absolute lowest it'll drop the temperature to is -21oC.

As of v1.1: To build an Ice block you need ice cubes, which you can get using the Make Ice bill at the cooking stove. 75 potatoes will be turned into 25 ice cubes.

I made this because it was requested in this thread: Ice blocks

Mod Team:
Download:

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

ItchyFlea

15 Steel.

Although I don't know by what magic 15 steel can turn into a large block of ice...
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Iwillbenicetou

Maybe have a "freezer" or something to make the ice blocks.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on January 15, 2015, 06:53:30 PM
I considered adding such a feature, but didn't really feel like adding a small water economy into the mod for it.
Plus I can't code well enough so that water would turn into ice in a freezer. Perhaps another modder could do that though and improve this mod.

palandus

Why not make it require 25 food instead? Since most food (especially Agave or Potatoes) has a lot of water in it, you could say the colonists removed all the food bits and drained out all the water.

Igabod

I'm looking at the source here and it says if (temperature > -21f) but in your OP you said -21C. Also, why such a low minimum temp? I'd think a big block of ice would just barely bring the temperature down to tolerable levels.

[edit to add] Also, if I wanted to make this not decay over time but instead be permanent, would all I need to do be to remove the following bit of code?

if (num == 150)
{
this.Destroy(DestroyMode.Vanish);
}

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 15, 2015, 07:08:04 PM
Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on January 15, 2015, 06:53:30 PM
I considered adding such a feature, but didn't really feel like adding a small water economy into the mod for it.
Plus I can't code well enough so that water would turn into ice in a freezer. Perhaps another modder could do that though and improve this mod.
Make it even simpler. Use a simple thing, like ice cube water thingy, then craft something with it.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Igabod on January 15, 2015, 07:34:09 PM
I'm looking at the source here and it says if (temperature > -21f) but in your OP you said -21C. Also, why such a low minimum temp?
That's because that's a floating number.

Also, if I wanted to make this not decay over time but instead be permanent, would all I need to do be to remove the following bit of code?
Yes.

Igabod

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 15, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
I'm looking at the source here and it says if (temperature > -21f) but in your OP you said -21C. Also, why such a low minimum temp?
That's because that's a floating number.

Also, if I wanted to make this not decay over time but instead be permanent, would all I need to do be to remove the following bit of code?
Yes.

lol. I feel kinda stupid now.

ItchyFlea

Alright, made a new version. Now you need to make ice cubes before you can build the ice blocks. The cooking stove now has a bill for making ice.

Although I don't know by what magic 75 potatoes turn into 25 ice cubes when held over a hot stove... :)

RemingtonRyder

I was thinking of doing something like this but with dry ice instead. Not like there's a shortage of CO2, the trick is compressing and cooling it. For which you would need power.

The thing I couldn't think of was how to get it out if there's a solar flare.

chaotix14

Quote from: marvinkosh on January 15, 2015, 09:15:59 PM
I was thinking of doing something like this but with dry ice instead. Not like there's a shortage of CO2, the trick is compressing and cooling it. For which you would need power.

I'm not sure how easily this is coded, but how about you craft the ice(for now disregarding what magic we use) and then drop it down into the freezer(maybe a building that contains the ice, kinda like a hopper-nutrient paste dispenser situation). While the freezer is active and the temperature within the freezer is below the magic -21C the ice doesn't melt and tick down, but when the temperature goes above the magic threshold the ice will melt and cool the room until either the cube is completely melted or the room temperature drops below the 21C.

So basically what I'm proposing is a battery, but instead of storing electrical energy, it stores the ice. And loses it's 'charge' as it cools down the room. This would allow you to prepare in advance in case of a solar flare.

tuver

Quote from: chaotix14 on January 16, 2015, 10:19:11 AM
Quote from: marvinkosh on January 15, 2015, 09:15:59 PM

I'm not sure how easily this is coded, but how about you craft the ice(for now disregarding what magic we use) and then drop it down into the freezer(maybe a building that contains the ice, kinda like a hopper-nutrient paste dispenser situation). While the freezer is active and the temperature within the freezer is below the magic -21C the ice doesn't melt and tick down, but when the temperature goes above the magic threshold the ice will melt and cool the room until either the cube is completely melted or the room temperature drops below the 21C.

So basically what I'm proposing is a battery, but instead of storing electrical energy, it stores the ice. And loses it's 'charge' as it cools down the room. This would allow you to prepare in advance in case of a solar flare.
Honestly this was the first thought I had, but had no idea how to do the coding on it. then I thought about the camp fire, which I did know how to mess with. I made something for myself, but thought others could do better. if you can figure out the 'battery' idea go for it.

Kolljak

I would love to use this mod or have your assistance with a HUGE overhaul mod i am trying to make that was inspired by Tech tree Minimai would you be interested in helping me or allowing me to use this.