Gun-smart colonists

Started by Chibiabos, January 16, 2015, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I think we all scoff at suicidal colonists who, in the middle of a gun fight, decide that's the perfect time to run out into the crossfire to harvest potatoes, or dash between a hunter and the prey they are shooting at.  How about some logic for colonists to ignore any task that puts them within range of combat, and for hunters, avoiding shooting from or into high-traffic areas.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

FridayBiology

Quote from: Chibiabos on January 16, 2015, 07:56:23 AM
I think we all scoff at suicidal colonists .... and for hunters, avoiding shooting from or into high-traffic areas.

> hunters using mini guns to hunt herds deer ... :"(
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

erdrik

While I agree with the existence of the problem I disagree with your suggested solution.
Ignoring tasks is a bad idea that can cripple your colonies production.

Instead I suggest units place a friendly only "Don't Move Here" line shaped zone between themselves and the their target.
The line shaped zone could have variable thickness and overshoot depending on the threat.
(gun fights are big thick lines that zone off large areas, while hunters zone off thin precise areas)

That way colonists can still work around the hunter, but will avoid the gun fight.

Johnny Masters

Hunter should disable firing for allies to pass

Pawns should avoid danger in a certain radius around him, when undrafted.

Would work better with fog+los and automatic "stances" perhaps. You know, the usual bread of RTS and tactic games. Cautious, defensive, aggressive...

FridayBiology

psychopath trait colonists (and non-social types) may not care and fire anyway :P
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Professor Cupcake

Quote from: Feirfec on January 16, 2015, 09:07:35 PM
psychopath trait colonists (and non-social types) may not care and fire anyway :P

If this thread ever gets added as a feature, I so want the above quote to be a part of it.