[Question] Rotatable Isometric Sprites (beds!)

Started by Threepounds, January 16, 2015, 08:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threepounds

So, more questions! (sorry!) ^_^

I noticed there seems to be a bit of a schism in the artistic direction of sprites, between 100% top-down and isometric. I just assumed it because an isometric sprite on its side would look silly, but then... Beds. Beds seem to have a separate sprite for front/side/back placement( "<graphicClass>Graphic_Multi</graphicClass>"?), which is great! Only... I can't find any examples of what one of those textures would look like because the textures for them aren't in my core folder.

Does anyone know where I can find an example to emulate?

Shinzy

Yes! https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2325.msg21038#msg21038
contains most of the vanilla resources including the beds!

you could get some reference images on the clutter mod
or More Furniture mod (it has multi texture sofas and tables only so it's bit easier to study when there isn't tons and tons of stuff like Clutter =P)

mrofa

Every thing that uses graphicType multi will have exackly like beds 3 sides.
Its easy when you look at them thrugh. You just need to make 3 textures front, side and back i.e. Mybed_front.png, Mybed_side.png, Mybed_back.png.
Then in xml in graphic path you link Mybed i.e. <graphicPath>Things\Buildings\Mybed</graphicPath>.
And you got the bed with 4 sides :D
In clutter most basic examples are cabinet and locker in furniture.xml :P
All i do is clutter all around.

Threepounds

Always to the rescue! Thank you both. ^_^

And that Tynan guy... Giving source with layers and everything. Very considerate!

---

So, just because I'm never happy unless I'm butting my head up against a wall (apparently) -- up next, Stuff-masks!

For science, I made the workbench recipes utilize 'stuff', and that introduced me to tint-masks(?). By default, the whole image is affected by the stuff's tint, which leaves default benches looking far too dark.
Vas' Modular Hydroponics helped me with the file structure "Name_Mask.png" and seems like a good example of what a mask might look like (Solid black, with red 'cut outs' for where the tint should be applied) ... except that his doesn't seem to work? Do we know what they might be doing wrong?

[MOD] (Alpha 8) Modular Hydroponics - Better power and growth rates. (v1.2)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8349

Oh, aaand just because random, what makes Trees so special that they can occupy some kind of 'overlap' layer? Could regular walls/buildings possibly be made to do that, too?

Shinzy

Threepwood!

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6942.msg68309#msg68309
this thread should explain everything about how the masks work!
and then you can check some more examples in Mrofsters Clutter mod (once again)
if you find the 'Research table' for example that one
Textures are in -> Clutter/Textures/Tables
and the def in -> Clutter/Defs/ThingDefs/ResearchTable_Replace.xml

I'm not sure what you mean with the overlap thing with trees! so that they overlap the colonist or so?
if that's what you want you could look at Rikiki's alert mod (M&Co. AlertSpeaker) I'm pretty sure the alert tooter in his mod is floating above like everything least it did that in the last alpha when I last played with it!

Edit: Oh and Mrofa! I know you'se gna read this thread so I just wanted to tell you
that you need to make proper isometric textures for all your chairs! =P (and a modular hydroponic pots! like how Itchy's table is modular. you know more like Snake, less like Tetris)

Threepounds

<Chin scratching intensifies>

I might be in the wrong sub-forum afterall...

But thank you again. ^_^

Oh, for the 'overlapping' I meant more the way Trees and Pawns 'stand out' from the grid, with their graphics overlapping the adjacent block above them.

Edit: Lol, isometric peer-pressure. :3

Shinzy

Quote from: Threepounds on January 17, 2015, 07:09:04 AM
<Chin scratching intensifies>

I might be in the wrong sub-forum afterall...

But thank you again. ^_^

Oh, for the 'overlapping' I meant more the way Trees and Pawns 'stand out' from the grid, with their graphics overlapping the adjacent block above them.

Edit: Lol, isometric peer-pressure. :3

Oh the overlap would then be the <graphicOverlay>true</graphicOverlay>
for this you need to stretch the background of your object extra 64 pixels or so (mrofa may be able to explain this better)
but the vanilla gunrack uses this! so you can check how that works

mrofa

QuoteEdit: Oh and Mrofa! I know you'se gna read this thread so I just wanted to tell you
that you need to make proper isometric textures for all your chairs! =P (and a modular hydroponic pots! like how Itchy's table is modular. you know more like Snake, less like Tetris)

Ugh i know you dont need to reming me X_X
All i do is clutter all around.

Threepounds

Babysteps!

Couldn't find the Sculptor's Table or Smithing Bench. I guess they were added after that source texture pack was released.
I maaay have inadvertently skewed the numbers. For example, using wood, like in the original recipes, brings their HP down to 90 (from 180).

Anyway! Helpful for people starting on an ice sheet at least, I hope. ^_^

[attachment deleted due to age]

Shinzy

Quote from: Threepounds on January 17, 2015, 11:37:05 AM
Babysteps!

Couldn't find the Sculptor's Table or Smithing Bench. I guess they were added after that source texture pack was released.
I maaay have inadvertently skewed the numbers. For example, using wood, like in the original recipes, brings their HP down to 90 (from 180).

oo this is nice one (can you get a screen from ingame with those?) I'm hesitating to activate it right now
don't know how the changes would affect on my ongoing game =P but they're ready for next colony

Threepounds

The stone-table looks a little 'off' -- probably should have  changed the blocks to something more neutral-black. ^_^;

Oh, and the 'lite' one doesn't change cosmetics at all, just the recipes to use stuff (and that effects stats).

Igabod

Quote from: Threepounds on January 17, 2015, 11:37:05 AM
Babysteps!

Through my magical skills of magical stuff I have produced the textures for the sculptors table and the smithing table. They are attached to this post.

[attachment deleted due to age]