Added power switch

Started by EscapeZeppelin, January 16, 2015, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EscapeZeppelin

"Added power switch donated by Haplo (greatly simplified, without auto-switching functions)."

Yessss. Definitely necessary if colonists have to turn equipment on and off manually. Now they won't have to walk into the killbox to turn all those turrets on as the attack comes in. And banks of batteries are suddenly a lot safer and more practical to use.

skullywag

I was hoping this wouldnt be a breaker switch like haplos which stops all power going through it but a turn off all buildings that require power on this network, so allowing batteries to still charge.

After writing the above i see how fiddly that could get....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

milon

Just put the batteries on a separate "circuit".

I haven't used Haplo's mod before.  Does this replace the need to connect/disconnect batteries if they're on their own "circuit"?

REMworlder

Aw yisssss. I can finally have sick battery backups without having to manually construct cables to them!

RIP 1x1 metal stockpiles: http://i.imgur.com/BVf2Uu5.jpg

evrett33

what is needed for Ludeon to absorb a mod into the game?

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: evrett33 on January 16, 2015, 02:48:05 PM
what is needed for Ludeon to absorb a mod into the game?

Tynan thinks it would be a good addition to the game.

loc978

Quote from: milon on January 16, 2015, 01:13:25 PM
Just put the batteries on a separate "circuit".

I haven't used Haplo's mod before.  Does this replace the need to connect/disconnect batteries if they're on their own "circuit"?
It just streamlines the connect/disconnect process. Instead of deconstructing and reconstructing a power conduit, you flip it on or off with a UI button... though the switch does cost 25x what a power conduit costs.
Example:
off
on

There is one autoswitching feature I wish he'd include... I use the "automotion" or more accurately "pawn in room" autoswitch to simulate my colonists simply turning off a lightswitch when they're the last to leave a room. Makes it easier to tell which ones are in bed at a given moment as well (I give them all blue autoswitching nightlights).

harpo99999

i do use the auto (pawn in room) switch for that exact function except that I use a standard light, and there is an issue when there is not enough  power available

jasta85

how does the switch work?  does it turn off an entire network or does it just turn off individual components?

Arenji

Will this compensate for all my turrets having to be switched on/off manually by pawns in the next release? Ie will I be able to put the turrets on a separate circuit and have one single on/off switch?

fraz

I hope the power switch acts as a circuit breaker in the event of a "short circuit."

I currently rely on geothermal and wind (not solar), and avoid building more than a couple batteries, because the risks associated with batteries seem to outweigh the benefits, and I don't want to repeatedly build/deconstruct power conduits to manually connect/disconnect battery banks (too fiddly). If we can now build battery banks safely isolated by switches, I might finally make use of some solar + batteries again.

milon

@loc978, thanks so much!  That makes sense to me.