Gameplay feedback first four hours

Started by Sire, September 28, 2013, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enystrom8734

He might have forgotten they weren't dwarves...  ;D

Also reading this makes me realize I didn't do a feedback post. I should write one up tonight or tomorrow if I have time at home...
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Tynan

Now handling players walling themselves off from raiders. Here they are trying to knock the wall down as colonists repair it. Hopefully I'll have them setting it afire soon.

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Will that allow the creation of hand to hand weapons?  :P

enystrom8734

Will the Grenadier pirates user their grenades instead?

Tynan

Hand weapons - definitely want it, but I'm going to wait until I have time to make a better inventory manager AI.

Grenadiers - yes, I should put this in. Good call.

enystrom8734

Will they work through the shortest path in? Will doors be easier to hack open? Will there now be reinforced walls, shields (too advanced?) etc.?

Tynan

They don't care about the shortest path. I'm not sure they ever will.

Turns out that finding the shortest path through obstacles was really, really hard. I was dreading doing this and dealing with the long-term bug factory is would become until I realized that there is actually no way for a player to wall themselves and all their buildings in (well, there is a way, but I'll let you guys think about what it might be :) ). So the buildings will always be exposed. If you wall yourself off, I think it's okay for the raiders to:

-First, destroy any threats (turrets etc).
-Second, randomly smash up and light the place on fire

After all, they don't know the layout of your colony so there's no real reason or need for them to find the shortest path. Does that make sense?

Note that none of this applies if there are doors. They still go straight after doors if there is one. Though I may change this and have them do some more broad-based destruction if you're hiding behind closed doors.

enystrom8734

That would make sense. Of course they wouldn't know the layout.

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 30, 2013, 03:00:34 PM
They don't care about the shortest path. I'm not sure they ever will.

Turns out that finding the shortest path through obstacles was really, really hard. I was dreading doing this and dealing with the long-term bug factory is would become until I realized that there is actually no way for a player to wall themselves and all their buildings in (well, there is a way, but I'll let you guys think about what it might be :) ). So the buildings will always be exposed. If you wall yourself off, I think it's okay for the raiders to:

-First, destroy any threats (turrets etc).
-Second, randomly smash up and light the place on fire

After all, they don't know the layout of your colony so there's no real reason or need for them to find the shortest path. Does that make sense?

Note that none of this applies if there are doors. They still go straight after doors if there is one. Though I may change this and have them do some more broad-based destruction if you're hiding behind closed doors.

How's the fire fighting situation coming along?

Tynan

They've fought fires since last Thursday by beating them out. It's pretty simple, but it fills the basic role. There's a firefighting work type and any fires in your designated home zone (also used for cleaning) will make all firefighter colonists come over and beat out the flames one by one until they're all gone.

Update: I walled myself in so they're burning my colony. I can keep my walls not on fire from the inside, but that's it.

Hypolite

The fire-fighting is now working fine, no colonist has been set on fire, and they don't go extinct fire outside of a Home Zone you define. That Home Zone was used only for cleaning before, but its uses have been expanded, and I find the concept wonderful. :)

Edit: Cross-post, Tynan already answered.

enystrom8734

I would think to prioritize destroying power buildings if possible. Destroy power and potential food production. Siege them essentially.

Could be left to higher tiers of raids. Like more advanced intelligent raiders?

Hypolite

Ly ideal priority targets list:
- Turrets
- Colonists
- Power generator
- Power conduit
- Grown areas
- Doors
- Walls
- The rest

And it should be by distance. If a power generator is closer than the turrets, they should be targeted first.

rhysfaulkner

Traps....maybe being able to hide turrets and set them off with some kind of tripwire?

convertidor video a mp3

rhysfaulkner

That's absolutely hilarious. I mean, less funny at the time I'm sure, but damn those colonists are like why the fuck are we building foodtables like this.

convertidor video a mp3