has everything been made harder?

Started by heero yuy79, November 09, 2013, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heero yuy79

I am currently playing on the new AI that's supposed to fit between the normal one and the easy one
yet things are really nasty and hard
my entire colony just got facerolled by a group of 8 raiders (my colony only has 5 people (only one can actually use a gun but all did have guns) and some auto turrets)
before that in a different game (same AI) my colony got facerolled even worse because there was a solar flare meaning nothing worked and everyone was angry and one person had stormed off in a huff just before the attack and I had to put one person in jail due to mental instability

in a previous version I played on a friends computer the "normal" ai was pretty easy going and while it would send deathsquads at me I at least had a chance to defend against them
this new not as hard but not easy AI appears to be modelled on GLaDOS
(I think that there may be something broken when it comes to raiders because I get attacked by one and then I get attacked by two and then it just increases constantly without anything appearing to take into account that someone could have died or none of my auto guns work due to electrical fire (also sunlamp thingys catch fire in rain? I thought they were to illuminate outside and should be water proof) or solar flare)

ShadowDragon8685

Combat in RimWorld, if you don't want to lose (or at least take unacceptable losses,) is about manipulating the battlefield to your advantage. The enemy will always have a numbers advantage, and their shooters will always be more experienced than yours.

So do whatever you have to do to win. Build sheds to put your people on "Dark" tiles even at high noon, and build lights to illuminate incoming hostiles even in the dead of night during an eclipse. Use sandbag-wall-sandbag-wall bunkers, preferably with at least one more layer of sandbags out front of them

Build sandbag bunkers that are ideal for taking cover and shooting at your base, and combine them with perfectly-positioned demo charges to blast the raiders to kingdom come. Build one or two tile wide highways of concrete, line them with graves and plant explosives on every third square. You can wipe out entire raids without firing a single shot, and the replacement cost of the mines will always be less than the cost of repairing all the damage the raiders did, even if you use fifteen mines and detonate an entire kilometer of ground!

The AI won't throw fair fights at you, not even Chill Callie. She just takes longer to throw ridiculously unfair fights at you. Remember Maxim 31: Only cheaters prosper.
Raiders must die!

DeltaV

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 09, 2013, 06:44:02 PM
Combat in RimWorld, if you don't want to lose (or at least take unacceptable losses,) is about manipulating the battlefield to your advantage. The enemy will always have a numbers advantage, and their shooters will always be more experienced than yours.

So do whatever you have to do to win. Build sheds to put your people on "Dark" tiles even at high noon, and build lights to illuminate incoming hostiles even in the dead of night during an eclipse. Use sandbag-wall-sandbag-wall bunkers, preferably with at least one more layer of sandbags out front of them

Build sandbag bunkers that are ideal for taking cover and shooting at your base, and combine them with perfectly-positioned demo charges to blast the raiders to kingdom come. Build one or two tile wide highways of concrete, line them with graves and plant explosives on every third square. You can wipe out entire raids without firing a single shot, and the replacement cost of the mines will always be less than the cost of repairing all the damage the raiders did, even if you use fifteen mines and detonate an entire kilometer of ground!

The AI won't throw fair fights at you, not even Chill Callie. She just takes longer to throw ridiculously unfair fights at you. Remember Maxim 31: Only cheaters prosper.

This is where I have to disagree:

A.) I'm pretty sure it's been admitted that Callie's a bit over-difficult at the moment.
B.) You shouldn't have to funnel raiders around and abuse their cover system with blasting charges to take them out. The game is about the stories the events bring, not about the 513th raid that was ended immediately when they all got remotely blown up.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Spike

Quote from: DeltaV on November 09, 2013, 06:49:05 PM
This is where I have to disagree:

B.) You shouldn't have to funnel raiders around and abuse their cover system with blasting charges to take them out. The game is about the stories the events bring, not about the 513th raid that was ended immediately when they all got remotely blown up.

And in my opinion, the story should not be about endless waves of raiders besieging you until you fall.  The game is in alpha, and I'm sure gameplay will change a lot as more features are added.  Balancing needs to be done after those features are added.

Kender

QuoteAnd in my opinion, the story should not be about endless waves of raiders besieging you until you fall.

I agree. The endless raiders are all we facing so far.

In a perfect game, we shouldn't (and should not be able to)
Quoteabuse their cover system with blasting charges to take them out
but this is pre-alpha. Between live and death, and unfair fight, I don't see any reason why we should not take advantage we can find against them.

PS:
1) How did they find us in the first place, without a communication center been built yet, we did crush on a 'nowhere' place in the universe. and
2) why did they keep sending more and more raiders to raid this site with barely nothing in it.
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Stormkiko

Quotealso sunlamp thingys catch fire in rain? I thought they were to illuminate outside and should be water proof) or solar flare

Regular lamps do not catch fire in the rain.

I feel like I'm the only one finding Callie's AI to not be too difficult? Not against how I remember Cassandra's death squad snipers were.

QuoteBuild sheds to put your people on "Dark" tiles even at high noon, and build lights to illuminate incoming hostiles even in the dead of night during an eclipse

Do Raiders have a hard time hitting you in the dark? Could be useful and definitely use that to my advantage if it's true.

doom2024

ive been enjoying the raiders i have killed over 200 of them and i have 14 colonist and i never use turrets or demo charges just well designed fortifications and superior cover and i flank the enemy but i agree there need to be more to the story but remember its only in alph so don't get worked up about it for now bugs are the issue right now so just sit back and figure out the warfare so when the game steps forward you are not in the dark.

EarthyTurtle

lol Yeah right now I just need to get past day 40. Raider numbers definitely got amped up a bit, my old design isn't cutting it so I'm gonna have to think up a new concept :P.

I used a combination of turrets and colonists defense that was built into the side of the mountain. Usually, with a bit of micromanaging, I could get away with no damage to my base, some minor wounds and a simple repair job and clean up afterwards. But this new build, idk what it is but my defense just wont hold. I'm finding myself loosing half my structures and at least 1 colonist each time. It's certainly a challenge, to say the least :P.

nnescio

Quote from: Stormkiko on November 10, 2013, 02:35:19 AM... Do Raiders have a hard time hitting you in the dark? Could be useful and definitely use that to my advantage if it's true.

Shooting targets shrouded in darkness (that is, entities that are on a "dark" tile) has a 40% miss chance penalty. It's a significant bonus if you can get darkness on your side (build roofed areas, then sell most of the walls except for a few critical supports and cover).

Stormkiko

QuoteShooting targets shrouded in darkness has a 40% miss chance penalty.

Awesome. I will use that to my advantage and turn off the lights. I have the area they fire from under a roof and on metal tile, they use the supports as cover.

Pendryn

Well, to be fair, I haven't found any of the AIs to be too challenging. I usually keep things simple. Do my colonists have enough food and are they safe? Everything after that is secondary.
Reticulating all the splines.

Amaror

Tynan allready stated that there is a bug with chillie chally that makes her way too difficult.
Just play cassandra classic, it should be managable.