Uranium-powered hydroponics

Started by RemingtonRyder, January 18, 2015, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Already done it, tested it out, it's immune to solar flares. Although understandably, it can't do anything about the blackout caused by power loss, at least your plants will survive if you've got sufficient heating. :)

So the costing for each basin is three Uranium on top of the existing steel requirement. I pulled that figure out of the air, really. What do you think is fair?

Boboid

I've played a bit with your hydroponics kits in a version of Winter is Here, where I think the cost was 150 steel 60 uranium, which seemed reasonable to be frank.

Uranium is pretty worthless in the base game, not just in terms of useage but actual *worth*, you can buy it in fairly large quantities quite cheaply. When you compare it to the cost of losing a Devilstrand crop or a food shortage it's pretty insignificant on the scale of things.

Not only that but if you continue to use your kit system ( which I really hope you do, since that's essentially how all structures/furniture ought to be when de-constructed ) then the cost is effectively even less since you can easily move them about without fear of resource loss.

If you consider the modded hydroponics just in the context of Devilstrand growth then you're essentially paying for better armoured colonists with Uranium, any way you look at it that's a pretty good deal.

For me personally if the cost was 150 steel and 150 uranium, I'd still be making as many kits as uranium permitted without hesitation.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

RemingtonRyder

Okay then. I may consider tweaking the recipe from three uranium cells per basin (which is the cost in the new version). It does seem a bit cheap. Or, I might introduce more things which can use uranium, which increases the colony's demand for it. We'll see. :)