Changelog Question

Started by Reolos, January 14, 2015, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinzy

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 15, 2015, 09:10:09 AM
Suggesting piracy Mikhail?.. Tynan and the moderators do not approve of that...

More of pointing out the only option (only option for new players) =P

Mikky! I do recommend keeping the old versions on a usb thingie now when you have the chance to do so!
try to think of it more as a privlege rather than inconvenience so
then all of us who owns a usb stick with Alpha 8 cannot board an aeroplane at the same time or it'll be forever lost to future generations ...they'd never witness the glory that was A8.. *sob*

Some of us still has Alpha 4! *ahem* *cough* *beams with pride* it didn't even have apparel in it!
*stops following the thread before someone with alpha 3 or earlier show up to brag*

Mikhail Reign

Yeah, no idea how you read that as 'suggesting piracy'. You just search the forum for the word 'pirate' and then comment that? If I say the word 'homicide' do you think that I am suggesting killing people?

Tynan

Interesting. I never thought this would be a big issue for people. It was mostly just a bugfix, since now the faster AI calculations make the assumption that zones are contiguous.

I'll have to carefully consider milon's suggestion of multi-select config or settings copy/paste.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Milon, your voice has been heard by our Godeveloper. Let's wait for the decision by the Pantheon of Ludeon.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

esotericist

Quote from: Tynan on January 15, 2015, 12:28:23 PM
I'll have to carefully consider milon's suggestion of multi-select config or settings copy/paste.

Is it possible to let us 'parent' a zone to another zone, so that changes in the first zone affect child zones? That would restore most or all use cases that were lost here.

Drahkon

I'd have to guess that it was done as a simple expedient to correct a potential abuse/issue resulting from a performance improvement.  One example: by making the logic only check one square of a growing zone for suitable growing temperate a large number of checks are eliminated to improve performance. Since a single room is all considered a single temperature this normally works flawlessly, but growing zones being 'broken up' either makes this unreliable or exploitable.

Simply allowing zone settings to be manipulated as a group should remedy user issues for the most part.

Alternatively all zones with the same name could share settings from the users point of view, and still allow the game to see them as separate zones when needed.

Eleazar

In the many comments I've read about this changelog item only one person claimed to like non-contiguous growing zones.  The rest desire non-contiguousness in their stockpiles specifically.

Not all kinds of zones need to follow the same rules.  Home zones aren't going to be forced to be contiguous are they?

So if it's just about the plants, few would bemoan the loss of non-contiguous zones.  But be careful, currently zones can go through doors, so assumptions that both sides are the same temperature may not be true.

If the optimization is about all kinds of zones, then requiring that a zone not be in multiple rooms might do the trick.

milon

Quote from: Tynan on January 15, 2015, 12:28:23 PM
Interesting. I never thought this would be a big issue for people. It was mostly just a bugfix, since now the faster AI calculations make the assumption that zones are contiguous.

*insert shocked, jaw-dropped emoticon*

I'm honored.  But the idea isn't mine alone - many others have had this idea and other very similar & good ideas.

But mostly I'm honored!  ;D

Darth Fool

It ought to be possible to have non-contiguous zones as far as the AI is concerned, while still maintaining a single zone from the users perspective.  This would allow the best of both worlds.

The-MathMog

I too am sad to see this removed. It is very useful for managing several areas at the same time that isn't connected. Even selecting multiple would be nice.
Here's an example of how I use it. Managing what area I want to have chunks in my defence, and what chunks they are not to put there.