Adding new levels to buildings

Started by xDahaka2012x, January 19, 2015, 07:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xDahaka2012x

So here's my idea basicly: adding more layers to the world so that you can use them for whatever you want. It would be nice to have at least the 1st 2nd layer (which would be the ground floor and the first floor) and the 0th layer (which would be underground). 0 level should be mostly rocky - you would find different stones and ores there which you could mine (yay, dwarfs xP)
Naturally, there should be some ways to climb on or descend from these layers. These can be ladders, stairs, elevators, ropes, and even teleport. They would have different times of climbing/descending (with teleport being instant).
There are much more ideas to add here, but this would be the base of it all.
So, is there even a smallest possibility to code it?

Shinzy

a very very slight small one yes, very very small like itsy bitsy tiny weeny winy
we're entering the scale of 'no' here ;D

Tynan replied to one suggestion thread about levels something in the lines of "Could but won't because <list of valid reasons>"
But in much more Tynanier way of saying it ...I couldn't find the original quote so you can take that as ramblings of a madmun!

But they're always hope, hey?!

Edit: and for a modder there was host of problems to solve to get this kinda thing to work
but I wouldn't know anything about that! I can only do textures

xDahaka2012x

Jeoshua

It's sad, really. The lack of multiple levels is one of the only things stopping this game from being a Dwarf Fortress challenger.

zachabobo

that would be... Weird. I think instead of more upper levels, we should be able to mine deeper. This would allow for more resource production, and would help people who want to build their colony instead of escaping.

vega666

I've thought about this too. It's really stupid on a grand scale that the world is a single flat plane. And I mean really stupid. It prevents so many things, like being able to see where your in-door area is lacking roof. SO many times I've been mining out a mountain, sealed off every exit, and the CLEARLY inside area is still designated as outside because somewhere, somehow there is a hole in the roof, and it's impossible to see where it is, aside from mousing over every single tile to see if it's designated as having a roof (this is obviously not a viable solution).

Not being able to build in multiple levels also prevents us from building turret towers, which would solve so many super annoying problems with security.

Tankh

Dwarf Fortress was only 2 dimensions for quite a while. Maybe sometime in the future he will add it, but adding a new dimension to a game isn't done overnight. It's a very big thing to develop, but definitely not impossible.

It might be impossible to mod it in though.