The Demands for Human Breeding (Discussions)(Poll)

Started by elStrages, January 20, 2015, 06:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you Pro or Con Breeding

Yes i want breeding
I couldnt care less
No i don't want breeding

ZestyLemons

Baby dwarves and kids are a thing in Dwarf Fortress.

They're annoying and useless from a gameplay perspective. They're pretty much prisoners you can't recruit for 15-18 years (or 10 years in Dwarf Fortress's case, but good luck surviving that long).
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

elStrages

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 20, 2015, 06:29:10 PM
Baby dwarves and kids are a thing in Dwarf Fortress.

They're annoying and useless from a gameplay perspective. They're pretty much prisoners you can't recruit for 15-18 years (or 10 years in Dwarf Fortress's case, but good luck surviving that long).
This is a good point. If your playing on Builder mode you may just survive long enough for your colony to flourish into a metropolis, but as it stand playing on anything bellow challenge, is well, not very challenging.

Sartain

I certainly don't see babies and children as being an impediment to an "Escape the planet" endgame, they're just another factor. By the way, why is it we don't just catch a ride on any one of the number of ships we trade with? :)

elStrages

haha that is a very good point, for some ships rather than other. Cant see me hitchin with a slaver ;)

Utherix

How the hell are babies going to grow if the game is intended to last no more than a few years at most?

elStrages

Quote from: Utherix on January 21, 2015, 01:45:34 AM
How the hell are babies going to grow if the game is intended to last no more than a few years at most?
This is the discussion we are having. I'm saying time would make them pointless others are saying they are needed for depth of play.
As for how would they grow. I would imagine like moving plants. With sprite manipulation

Sartain

I'm going to ahead and assume that in the final version of the game, end-game might easily take longer than one or two in-game years to achieve. I'm not sure what time frame the developer has imagined but I'd guess it could easily take more than 10 years to establish a colony with enough materials and support to build a spaceship, but I suppose I might be wrong.

During that time, babies would grow into children who would have limited usefulness (simple hauling and such) and might even grow up to be skilled colonists. Considering all the other advanced tech in the game, a Growth Enhancer build project wouldn't be out of the question either, allowing for children to age faster and thus become useful members of the colony faster (but maybe less skilled since they haven't had as much time to learn).

elStrages

Quote from: Sartain on January 21, 2015, 05:36:45 AM
I'm going to ahead and assume that in the final version of the game, end-game might easily take longer than one or two in-game years to achieve. I'm not sure what time frame the developer has imagined but I'd guess it could easily take more than 10 years to establish a colony with enough materials and support to build a spaceship, but I suppose I might be wrong.

During that time, babies would grow into children who would have limited usefulness (simple hauling and such) and might even grow up to be skilled colonists. Considering all the other advanced tech in the game, a Growth Enhancer build project wouldn't be out of the question either, allowing for children to age faster and thus become useful members of the colony faster (but maybe less skilled since they haven't had as much time to learn).
This time frame may be a stretch, maybe 5 or 6 years, the problem is with the way the ramp of raids goes, that by time you reach that time the raids are so bad that you will need to escape or be annihilated. That being said it depends on what difficulty you play as to how long the game will actually play out.

erdrik

I wouldn't be opposed to colonist offspring, but I don't think it is particularly needed.

I would like to have relations between colonists tho.
Like Bob is Jacks friend, and hates Jill.
Having them 'fall in love' would be interesting, and add the potential for a new function for the Double Bed.
Allowing two people to share a double bed, but have large moral penalties if they are not in a relationship.

Endoric

Quote from: Sartain on January 20, 2015, 08:06:30 PM
I certainly don't see babies and children as being an impediment to an "Escape the planet" endgame, they're just another factor. By the way, why is it we don't just catch a ride on any one of the number of ships we trade with? :)

Lmao.  We can sell ourselves to an exotic goods ship.  Take us and you can have all our stuff for free!  Like buying a ticket!

Wolfen Waffle

Implying I want to leave.  ;)

Sartain

Quote from: Wolfen Waffle on January 22, 2015, 06:44:24 PM

Implying I want to leave.  ;)

Well as far as I understand, it's the developer-stated goal of the game.

Klitri

I think everyone against the idea is missing the point- The game is meant to be a storyteller game, while you should be able to win, it is not a huge priority to add action packed features and ensure that players always win.

Children add a new aspect to the game, how does this child affect your colony's story? How can it add to the story, perhaps the child is loved by everyone and given all the care? Maybe your colony is barbaric, and sends them to fend for themselves in the wild. Personally, I'd love to have children in the game, and for those who don't, maybe make it an option so it's not required. It's just not fair to say no to children because you think it'd make the game harder/annoying/etc.

Sartain

Klitri is right on the money here. With the whole focus on the stories that emerge from the games, and the Tales system, children seem like a natural addition to the game.

Mihsan

Quote from: Sartain on January 20, 2015, 08:16:41 AMSo everyone's all "no, babies are useless because the game doesn't last long enough for them to grow up and be useful, contributing members of society" and I can't help but think that's exactly why they'd be awesome :D

100% representation of my opinion. Сhildren bear great potential for interesting ingame events.

They must be there not because they are good, but because they are bad and useless. And because they can add 500% more drama for this game. Just think about all this possible stories!
Pain, agony and mechanoids.