[A17] More Vanilla Turrets (v1.8.5 29/5/2017)

Started by Marnador, January 21, 2015, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marnador

Had to be done, Devastators felt a little too easy to maintain considering you're getting a burst of 5 shells with tighter spread of 8 cells instead of 12.
Even with the ammo disadvantage cells are still more safe.
That said, I looked through the numbers again and 2 components is a bit expensive, I'll drop it down to 1 component instead.

faltonico

Quote from: Marnador on April 04, 2017, 11:06:51 PM
Had to be done, Devastators felt a little too easy to maintain considering you're getting a burst of 5 shells with tighter spread of 8 cells instead of 12.
That said, I looked through the numbers again and 2 components is a bit expensive, I'll drop it down to 1 component instead.
This is your mod, i'll just take the bits i want and leave the rest untouched.
But i have to say that I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Devastator mortars were barely useful already with their HUUUge cooldown, the only setup i found them to be bearable were with at least 2 (up to 4 later on), turned off when not in use, together with a bunch of regular mortars and an AMP mortar. I usually get to apply one spray on top of a "preparing" raid after they start to move, by the time i'm able to volley the second round they are already moving or almost getting to my base, and the effectiveness of any mortar after the target starts to move is severely limited so most of the times i don't even bother to spray twice.
They are more useful though for ship parts, and that is until mechs starts to move, so i use them in conjunction with an AMP mortar to stun them and spray some more (i have to make sure my pawn is well fed and in a good mood cause that usually takes a while), the downside is that you lose a lot of the loot (blades and bodies).

Changing their power consumption to 0 means nothing if you have to have the crafting station that uses even more power, now, for me making them more difficult to maintain will not worth the effort to even spend that ludicrous amount of time researching them, i would rather spray the whole area with a dozen of regular mortars even if the spread radius is bigger, they are cheaper and more importantly, the ammo is way easier/faster to craft.

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico on April 05, 2017, 05:34:50 AM
But i have to say that I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

+1
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Igan

Quote from: Marnador on April 04, 2017, 11:06:51 PM

Why don't repurpose the old mortar shells? By the time you got the Devastator Mortar, usually you already have been using the normal mortars for a while, and possibly have a nice amount of shells stored. Even more, possibly obtained them either by buying them from pirate merchants and looting from failed sieges.

In the late game, components are somewhat scarse and a pain in the ass to fabricate from scratch. Mortar shells are more abunants.

It could be 1 mortar sheel + a nice amount of silver to produce the cells, since practically the 5 kW of power we are consuming is spent in "overcharging" the shells.

mykys

Is there an available A15 version? Or will this also work enough ?

Topper

Andy_Dandy

Someone tested if the mod works for Alpha 17 Unstable?

McGuffin

thank you very much for the A17 update.

Quicknote: could you consider to use a specific research tab for the mod?

thx again!

JohnDoe

Not sure if this is working as intended, but things like Vulcan cannon gun and Gun complex gun can be found as individual items in item caches.

Traditionology

Hey! Love your mod, been using it for a while now. Thanks for the quick update. Why'd the moats change to mud moats?

Love

Quote from: Traditionology on May 30, 2017, 07:11:05 PM
Hey! Love your mod, been using it for a while now. Thanks for the quick update. Why'd the moats change to mud moats?

Probably the introduction of rivers.

TOWC

The last time I had this mod, the work amount for every turret construction was only 1. Are those variables fixed in this version?:

Dimbledorf

is there any chance that we can get a combat realism patch?
also if someone tried it with Combat Realism, can you tell me if it works/is balanced
When will Tynan add goats, I wonder?

Ignoral

I got an item cache located at X message, one of the items included was a gun complex, however, it's just the heavy machine gun from the complex and not the entire item itself. I can't place it so it's currently just taking up storage space.

kd5crs

To further balance this mod, I changed GunTurrets and GunComplex to require Machining. It seems to work pretty well, keep the early game challenging.