[A9] Biodiversity v3.0 A9 Don't Bug Out! Mar. 09, 2015

Started by Igabod, January 22, 2015, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: Boboid on February 05, 2015, 07:40:43 AM
Yeah I can imagine that being a bit of a nightmare, you're doin' a great job though.

Obviously the scale makes it difficult, if you're doing a 1-1 on a reasonably small animal you're always going to struggle to fit in detail - take the Alphalo's horns for example, nice smooth detailing is made a lot easier because there's just so much more room to work with.

Push comes to shove you could always make your Quadhog 2-3x the size and make it into a real terror ;D

Hah, it actually was about 20% larger before. It was way too big though, like to the point of ridiculousness. We also had to scale down the spindlecrib a bit too. But yeah the tusks are only 2-3 pixels wide so it's really impossible to do any detail work on them. All you can do with them is play with shading and variation of the colors in a pattern that tricks the eye into filling in the rest. But even that's difficult with 2-3 pixels of width to work with.

I would like to point out my favorite part of the Quadhog. I gave it pink ears. They're not pink enough in the side view and I'll probably improve that in the next update too. But the back view shows them off perfectly.

[edit to add] Also, I am considering doing a true giant creature that takes up a 2x3 tile space but I'm not sure what the creature will look like yet and I'm not sure if it'll actually go in this mod or just be an add-on that people can choose to download. That's probably not going to happen very soon either way though. It's just a passing thought.

Boboid

Oh I wouldn't rule the size out - think about it. Quadhog! Terror of Rimworld! Destroyer of Colonies! Devourer of forests! Snuffler of Truffles! General bullet sponge! Player of tennis on Tuesdays! Fighter of Criminals! Dispenser of Justice! Harbinger of Doom/Many hog-hide cowboy hats! Slayer of Centipedes! Saviour of the Universe!

I may be losing my mind.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Igabod

Updated to alpha 9. A huge thanks goes out to Haplo for updating the .dll faster than I managed to update the XML. The compatibility patch for Xtra Plants has also been updated even though Xtra Plants has yet to be updated. I've got everything done for that though and am just waiting on Tynan to release another hotfix to fix a bug with loading leafless tree graphics. So I'd wait to download the patch until after Xtra Plants is updated.

Vonholtz

Great another mod ready that I like. Now just need the Xtra Plants as soon as that get up to date and i am will be good to go. thank you.

Xyereth

Any chance I could steal this mod for my pack? :P It seems to fit in with the style of rimworld quite well, with the darkness mod, sending your colonists out at night could be terrifying, they may be mauled by a pack of wolves in the night.

RemingtonRyder

I added a compatibility patch for Harsher Tundra & Biodiversity over here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

(scroll down!)

Igabod

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 22, 2015, 05:41:38 PM
I added a compatibility patch for Harsher Tundra & Biodiversity over here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0

(scroll down!)

Okay, link added to the original post. Thought you should know that your link on your thread has a bit of a mess-up with it. I think you might have done the [/url] tag wrong with that particular link.

RemingtonRyder

Vonholtz

Ok I am a bit thick headed so I want to make sure I am doing this right. I want Biodiversity with Xtra plants. So I get the XP-Biodiv_biomes.xml and put it in the Blodiversity folder as the first post said. Then put them in the order of Xtra plants then Blodiversity in the mod order? Is this right?

Igabod

Quote from: Vonholtz on February 23, 2015, 08:07:27 PM
Ok I am a bit thick headed so I want to make sure I am doing this right. I want Biodiversity with Xtra plants. So I get the XP-Biodiv_biomes.xml and put it in the Blodiversity folder as the first post said. Then put them in the order of Xtra plants then Blodiversity in the mod order? Is this right?

All you have to do is open the Mods/Biodiversity/Defs/BiomeDefs folder and delete the Biodiversity_Biomes.xml file. Then you put the XP+Biodiv_Biomes.xml in its place. Activate Xtra Plants and then activate Biodiversity. Or if you have EdB's Mod Order mod just move Xtra Plants above Biodiversity. Close the mods menu. Click the Quit to OS button. Start rimworld up again and start a game. New games are preferable, otherwise the plants won't spawn on the map except where you plant them with stockpiles and the animals will take a long time to migrate to the area.

Vonholtz

Quote from: Igabod on February 23, 2015, 08:24:04 PM
Quote from: Vonholtz on February 23, 2015, 08:07:27 PM

All you have to do is open the Mods/Biodiversity/Defs/BiomeDefs folder and delete the Biodiversity_Biomes.xml file. Then you put the XP+Biodiv_Biomes.xml in its place. Activate Xtra Plants and then activate Biodiversity. Or if you have EdB's Mod Order mod just move Xtra Plants above Biodiversity. Close the mods menu. Click the Quit to OS button. Start rimworld up again and start a game. New games are preferable, otherwise the plants won't spawn on the map except where you plant them with stockpiles and the animals will take a long time to migrate to the area.
Ok it looks as if I got the right idea from your OP to get passed even my thick skull. Thank you ;D

evrett33

I think I asked this in A* but is this mod compatible with T's crop/cloth mods orexpanded woodworking?

Igabod

Quote from: evrett33 on February 24, 2015, 02:18:08 AM
I think I asked this in A* but is this mod compatible with T's crop/cloth mods orexpanded woodworking?

Yes and yes. Neither of those modify the same files as this does. The easiest way to find the answer is to try it and see for yourself though. I actually don't play with T's mods active most of the time because I've got my own Xtra Plants mod which adds lots of food options. I do turn on his floors mod occasionally though.

Giraffe

Those Quadhog tusks look just perfect for hauling.
The kind of hauling I don't want to do. Like hauling metal during a mechanoid invasion. Or hauling fire things that are on fire and surrounded by fire during a heat wave on the sun.

Or maybe that would be better for a mod all on its own, taming animals and the like. Though I don't imagine the code would be all that different from the dog taming mod that this mod already draws some assets from. Could even incorporate a little T's husbandry so that you can raise non-aggressive versions of the ani--

Dwarf fortress.

Igabod

Quote from: Giraffe on February 24, 2015, 04:18:27 AM
Those Quadhog tusks look just perfect for hauling.
The kind of hauling I don't want to do. Like hauling metal during a mechanoid invasion. Or hauling fire things that are on fire and surrounded by fire during a heat wave on the sun.

Or maybe that would be better for a mod all on its own, taming animals and the like. Though I don't imagine the code would be all that different from the dog taming mod that this mod already draws some assets from. Could even incorporate a little T's husbandry so that you can raise non-aggressive versions of the ani--

Dwarf fortress.

For one, T didn't do that mod that you're thinking of, that was Minami. For two, that code is out of date and needs updating. For three, I don't have the talent necessary for updating it. However, I do hope to possibly add in some tameable critters in the future. But it will have to wait for now.