[1.2-A8e] Rimfire - vanilla style gun mod (v2.6 / 12.01.2021)

Started by Alistaire, January 22, 2015, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POLL CENTRAL - 4 polls currently active, 3 closed

dd.mm.yyyy  [results] link to the poll

(30.12.2015) [results] Should weapons_guns.xml be split up into separate files for easy removal of weapons? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all? (closed)
(30.12.2015) [results] Which location do you prefer for polls?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all?
(30.04.2016) [results] !NEW! Which weapon types would you like to see added to Rimfire?

Mr.Cross

I was thinking about asking you to add in some DMR's (Designated marksman rifle's for those who don't know) But the more I think about it, the more I wonder. How would this be a better alternative to assault rifles or sniper rifles in rim world? I don't think it's there would be a big enough difference in the range for Assault Rifles, or would be better in accuracy at closer ranges for a sniper rifle. Both of which would be better suited at the opposite. Especially since you can switch optics.

Claims to know most things.

Alistaire

@Havan_IronOak

Short answer: There probably won't be non-lethal weapons in Rimfire.

Long answer: I'm not planning to add a non-lethal weapon to Rimfire. The aim of the mod isn't to change vanilla combat; I'm rather trying
to beef up gun variety while keeping the guns balanced and similar enough to vanilla's "Modern" tech level. Unless Tynan decides to add
non-lethal weapons in the base game's Modern tech, I'm not gonna add such weaponry.

@Mr. Cross

The problem with adding a DMR is that the term is used to describe slightly modified assault rifles rather than actually specialized, factory
produced designs for the purpose they serve. A way to introduce such rifles in Rimworld would be to allow players to add scopes and modify
barrels on their guns. Adding them through Rimfire would mean the addition of a scoped variant of some rifles with a different name, which
would make it harder and more frustrating to sell each variant of a rifle to traders, deny specific guns in stockpiles etcetera for only a small
increase in gun variety in a category that most Rimworld players will never need to use - You already gave good reasons why it wouldn't
work, and if you look at the amount of rifles specifically designed to serve as a DMR it should be obvious there's no market for them.

Mechanoid Hivemind

You should get some turrets going to since there is a very limited choice on turrets right now. I would love to see the return of the vulcan cannon from more vanilla turrets mod. Food for thought :D
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Rafe009

Quote from: Zerg HiveMind on July 07, 2015, 04:20:05 PM
You should get some turrets going to since there is a very limited choice on turrets right now. I would love to see the return of the vulcan cannon from more vanilla turrets mod. Food for thought :D

I hope not. The Mod author seems to have an intent of finely balancing his mod with the game and what can you do to turrets besides amp up their damage/range? Such a change which would throw balance out the window.

Also glad he didn't go for non-lethal weapons. While it's a realistic addition it's not a system that's built into the game with how the game is intended to be played. My understanding is if you want to capture enemy you should be using melee and preferably blunt instruments like riffle butt or a baton (which you can make yourself). In this sense the benefit of obtaining captives, to sell, harvest organs or recruit/liberate is balanced by the increased risk of having to close a distance to them or smart base-building that requires you to funnel your melee/brawlers behind the advancing waves of enemy to cut them off when they attempt ot retreat.

If instead we had non-lethal ranged those considerations wouldn't be as needed and base building(which is the core aspect of this game) as well as strategy could be discarded for massive fire-teams.

Mr.Cross

If instead we had non-lethal ranged those considerations wouldn't be as needed and base building(which is the core aspect of this game) as well as strategy could be discarded for massive fire-teams. -Rafe009
While that may be the case, Even then with your point, All you would need to do is only add a tazer or stun gun (give it a short range) and put it at a decent price range for one of them, say 2000+ silver? (I'm no good with pricing) and vola, balancing issues some what controled. And if that weren't enough, just make the shot accuracy 50% with a long 'reload' and if they screw it up... Well it won't be pretty.

@Alistaire - Yea, I figured. I essentially just wanted to see your thoughts on the idea's. However, some more LMG's might be nice, even if it's for the Aesthetic appeal,

Alistaire

@Mr.Cross

LMG's have been on the todo-list for a while now. I'll work on them at some point™.

@Rafe009, @Mr.Cross

The thing with non-lethal guns is that Tynan is asking for artifacts over at his Mod requests for vanilla topic, and this idea would be much
better as an artifact. Balancing it according to @Mr.Cross' suggestions would make it even more of an artifact.

@Zerg HiveMind

I would much rather see the author of More Vanilla Turrets update his ones. They are already good and I wouldn't want to spend time on
something that someone else has both already done and done better than I would like to invest time in.

@Othobrithol

I like the idea of a "Jim's Gun" (the gun from Earthworm Jim which fires a lot of shots but hits something only very occasionaly) in Rimworld,
but once again rather as an artifact than a standard gun. Not that it would be too overpowered, but it's a bit too gimmicky in my opinion.

Mr.Cross

I may just try to mod this in. However one big snag... I don't know how to mod. however I will try.

kaptain_kavern

There is an old tuto on the wiki for that. Some things may have changed with the tags (check in up-to-date mods) but it'll give you more than the basics.

Also props goes to Alistaire, RimFire's creator ;) so...
I take this occasion to say thank you for that tuto

Alistaire

The tutorial was made after the Alpha 11 launch, and Alpha 11b has no changes from the normal version so you should be good.

I don't believe you can make a non-lethal gun using only XML though, you're probably gonna need C#.

Mr.Cross

Well shit, I'm learning C# ( Slowly ) I think I might be able to do it. Just let me look at that tut first. Any help with C# or pointers would be appreciated.

Alistaire

Start off by reading the tutorials on the wiki. Decompiling source code is really important; it helps you get a feeling for Rimworld's code base
and you can copy existing code whenever it's close to what you need. To start writing custom code you need to set up your project, and the
first tutorial explains that.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials/Writing_custom_code
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials/Decompiling_source_code

If you ever want to know how others made their mod work you can check their source code (if provided) or ask them on their mod's topic.

Mr.Cross

Othobrithol

Quote from: Alistaire on July 08, 2015, 11:53:48 AM

@Othobrithol

I like the idea of a "Jim's Gun" (the gun from Earthworm Jim which fires a lot of shots but hits something only very occasionaly) in Rimworld,
but once again rather as an artifact than a standard gun. Not that it would be too overpowered, but it's a bit too gimmicky in my opinion.

I was thinking more along the line of Yosemite Sam, but it's probably a generational thing :P

Alistaire

Someone told me I should add more common weaponry to Rimfire. Therefore I ask you guys, what do you want me to focus on?

The poll will be open till I feel like I've gathered enough opinions. Feel free to comment and elaborate on your choice.

Othobrithol

I think that would vary by what is meant by "common".  One aspect of this mod that is superior to the bigger collections is that it is rather concise. Having 15 variations of assault rifle each only marginally different all suffering from balance creep doesn't necessarily mean "better".

I guessed I'd choose to interpret "common" to mean "average" and "non-specialized". As I have mentioned before I find many of your weapons to be a bit too good so I'd think the collection would be improved by some cheaper, but less optimal weapon choices. A Kalzashnikov on par with the vanilla's clearly M16ish assault rifle, some rifle variants less powerful than the survival rifle, maybe a few more variations on SMG or shottie (or a pair of bigass pistoles. :P)

Completely contrary to this ideal, I've been playing with the Jaffa mod and I'd love a p90.

Regardless, less is more in this case. Maybe if the collection was broken into 3-4 files sets like Apparello..