[1.2-A8e] Rimfire - vanilla style gun mod (v2.6 / 12.01.2021)

Started by Alistaire, January 22, 2015, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POLL CENTRAL - 4 polls currently active, 3 closed

dd.mm.yyyy  [results] link to the poll

(30.12.2015) [results] Should weapons_guns.xml be split up into separate files for easy removal of weapons? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all? (closed)
(30.12.2015) [results] Which location do you prefer for polls?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all?
(30.04.2016) [results] !NEW! Which weapon types would you like to see added to Rimfire?

Ungrateful

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 19, 2015, 07:59:39 AM
Quote from: Beathrus on September 17, 2015, 05:57:48 PM
This Mod + another to make Guns, always makes me happy. Because my people end up with actual usable weapons, instead of like, a hodgepodge of equipment.

Same here. Only two weaponish mods I use anymore are the wep-crafting one and this. Oh and the tools one just because they're kinda neato hehe(albeit kinda pointless)
What weapon crafting mod If i may ask? I have yet to find a way to craft the rimfire variants, I just want to have all my pawns equipped with modern smg's  :'(

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Austupaio on November 25, 2015, 09:46:44 AM
Could be interesting, worth noting though that in trials it proved to malfunction quite frequently and did indeed have poor accuracy. It's too bad there's no way to model unreliability in Rimfire at the moment. I mean without making entirely new functions.

Honestly, I don't think this would be very hard to add. Just change the verb code on firing the next burst shot to include a random check against condition or whatever, then trigger some custom jamming behavior.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

toric

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 02, 2015, 05:06:55 PM
Quote from: Austupaio on November 25, 2015, 09:46:44 AM
Could be interesting, worth noting though that in trials it proved to malfunction quite frequently and did indeed have poor accuracy. It's too bad there's no way to model unreliability in Rimfire at the moment. I mean without making entirely new functions.

Honestly, I don't think this would be very hard to add. Just change the verb code on firing the next burst shot to include a random check against condition or whatever, then trigger some custom jamming behavior.

thats probably more your realm to add, however. maybe add in a few more variables? increase reliability if behind full cover? (they are standing straight up and not prone on the ground) decrease if they are outdoors, it is raining, they are in snow, marsh, water, etc? takes longer to unjam in the dark, in extreme cold, and depending on manipulation?

LittleGreenStone

I have a problem, unfortunately.

Weapons don't show up at all, checked using dev. mode.
I'm trying to play with the Combat Realism version.

I'm triple checked everything;
it's correctly placed in the game folderwise,
it's enabled,
I have the requirements and am using this order: CCL, CR, CR Enhanced Defense, CR+Rimfire (also tried with loading CR+Rimfire before CR ED),
I have made a new world and colony,
I've restarted my PC also,
and now I've ran out of ideas.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? Something I haven't tried yet?

Grimandevil

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 07, 2015, 07:16:50 AM
Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? Something I haven't tried yet?
what's your full mod list?

I'm probly posting in a wrong thread, but that's somehow related to this mod, as i want to see more guns variety while playing.
Is there a way to completely remove charge rifle from the game or forbid it to spawn, and how exactly can i do it?
i'm sick of every 2'nd raider armed with it.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

NoImageAvailable

Are there any errors or warnings in the output log?

Quote from: Grimandevil on December 25, 2015, 02:52:38 PMIs there a way to completely remove charge rifle from the game or forbid it to spawn, and how exactly can i do it?
i'm sick of every 2'nd raider armed with it.

Add the following tags to the gun to prevent it from spawning:

<canBeSpawningInventory>false</canBeSpawningInventory>
    <tradeability>Never</tradeability>

You'll also need to edit the pawnKindDef of the mercenary elite since it is set to spawn with charge rifles and nothing else.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 25, 2015, 03:39:27 PM

No, there was nothing at all, like I didn't install/enable the mod -which I did for sure.

I may or may not have found the (or a) problem. A fancy sniper rifle (forgot its name [first row third column on the picture on the first page]) was at fault for sure, I am uncertain about the rest;
I've removed over half the weapons, for I didn't need 6 pistols and sniper rifles.

Anyway, at first I tried merging the def with combat realism, which resulted in a "black screen", Rimworld refusing to start up.

Then I started adding the weapons I liked to the def of CR one-by-one (leaving out a few); when I reached that sniper rifle, the black screen occurred again.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 25, 2015, 07:47:53 PM

No, there was nothing at all, like I didn't install/enable the mod -which I did for sure.

I may or may not have found the (or a) problem. A fancy sniper rifle (forgot its name [first row third column on the picture on the first page]) was at fault for sure, I am uncertain about the rest;
I've removed over half the weapons, for I didn't need 6 pistols and sniper rifles.

Anyway, at first I tried merging the def with combat realism, which resulted in a "black screen", Rimworld refusing to start up.

Then I started adding the weapons I liked to the def of CR one-by-one (leaving out a few); when I reached that sniper rifle, the black screen occurred again.

I am guessing when you were doing this you left out the Rimfire DLL file?

Alistaire

The anti-materiel rifles do require an assembly for their extra damage to buildings and some additional effects. That's handled by the only assembly in Assemblies/ so you require that folder and file to use anti-materiel rifles. The source code download contains the source for it in case you want to change anything about it.

I wasn't aware that users would want to remove part of the mod so everything is in one file for convenience. Should I split it into one file per weapon to make it easier for those who want to disable parts of the mod? Alternatively people could add previously mentioned tags to the <ThingDef> to prevent it from spawning.

Grimandevil

You'll also need to edit the pawnKindDef of the mercenary elite since it is set to spawn with charge rifles and nothing else.
i see how it works now, thanks.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Alistaire on December 26, 2015, 04:48:30 AM
The anti-materiel rifles do require an assembly for their extra damage to buildings and some additional effects. That's handled by the only assembly in Assemblies/ so you require that folder and file to use anti-materiel rifles. The source code download contains the source for it in case you want to change anything about it.

I wasn't aware that users would want to remove part of the mod so everything is in one file for convenience. Should I split it into one file per weapon to make it easier for those who want to disable parts of the mod? Alternatively people could add previously mentioned tags to the <ThingDef> to prevent it from spawning.

I think you've misunderstood me.
At first I've tried to install the (combat realism version of the) mod, as intended, without as much as opening the defs, but it did not work out for some reason.
I do not know why, but as I said, I installed it, and no weapons (nor errors) showed up, couldn't even spawn any of them with the dev tool -but I checked it multiple times, and it was installed and enabled.

Only then I started trying to merge it with combat realism (hoping it'd work out).
Altogether, at first, which did not work yet again, one-by-one the second time, leaving out a few weapons in the meanwhile, which worked (I was able to spawn weapons) until I reached said sniper rifle I wanted to keep, when the same problem occurred; black screen, Rimworld refusing to load up.
After I removed it, it worked again.

Then I changed some stats also;
I have now 1 LMG, 2 grenade launchers (one EMP and your unchanged one) 2 pistols, 2 shotguns, 3 SMGs, 3 assault rifle(-like firearms) and 2 sniper rifles (including the modified vanilla ones) with diverse stats; e.g.:
I have sniper rifle with good range, rate of fire and bullet-count but medicore damage and penetration,
and another one with good range, horrid rate of fire, low bullet-count but very high damage and penetration; one useful against squishy targets, the other is useful against centipedes, mostly.

Anyway, it's just me screwing around with the mod, trying to make it work and customizing it to my taste, but for some reason, it didn't work to begin with, before I started changing and removing things.

Should you cut the mod apart? Perhaps it'd be convenient for others, but it wouldn't have helped me much. We're talking about my taste, after all...  ;D

Alistaire

Introduction of "Poll Central" and strawpoll polling

Since threads can't run several polls at the same time I have replaced poll options with links to their respective strawpolls. Every poll has a
"No opinion" option and of course I couldn't have created this without adding a poll whether you like it.

Alistaire

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 26, 2015, 02:53:11 PM

/ / / / / /

By the way I found why things broke. It was a problem with the assembly itself; its root namespace was different from the namespaces in
the classes, for future reference.

EDIT: Aaaaand all download locations should now have the correct Rimfire 1.8 + CR with a fixed assembly.

Alistaire

Weapon suggestions

A list of the previous suggestions and new suggestions has been compiled. Voting will help me prioritizing feature requests for the next Rimfire version. This time I have added google image links next to each option (in the thread itself) which I hope will increase the total vote count significantly because people won't have to spend as much effort to cast their votes! I'm sorry if the previous polling method deterred you.

A strawpoll was created to guide you in resurrecting denied suggestions (link) and one was created to show your support for any of the backlog items (link).

Implemented

Suggestion (author)Added weapon (in-game name, version)Reasoning
Grenade launcher (Loki88)Mikor MGL (multiple grenade launcher, v1.2)Did not exist yet in-game and add nice variation to elite raiders.
Marlin Camp Carbine (Loki88)Ruger PC-9 (police carbine, v1.5)Good side-grade of the survival rifle and makes sense to be on the Rimworlds due to their quantity.
Hecate II, KSVKUltima Ratio 'Hecate II' (SASR, v1.4),
Micor Defense MD 50 (heavy AMR, v1.4)
Relatively unique side-grade to existing weaponry and serves an actual gameplay purpose against buildings and for elite raiders.
LMG's (Mr. Cross)Type 73 (box-magazine GPMG, v1.9),
Madsen LMG (replica LMG, v1.9)
Vanilla is lacking in LMG's which are nice variety for elite raiders. Came first in poll results.
Taurus JudgeTaurus Judge (court revolver, v1.9)Quite interesting weapon which could nicely implement CombatRealism functionality once that's added (firing modes).
AK-47 (several)AK-47 (guerrilla rifle, v1.9)Came second in poll results.
RPG-7RPG-7 (RPG launcher, v1.9)Adds a cheap, inaccurate or otherwise alternative rocket launcher and looks cool. Came third in poll results.
.500 Magnum (Mr. Picard)S&W Model 500 (large-calibre revolver, v2.1)Fits well with Rimworld's theme and was probably gonna be added at some point.
Barrett .50 cal (Mr. Picard)Barrett M82A1 (police AMR, v2.1)There are already three anti-materiel rifles in Rimfire, though it's added to the backlog.
10/22 (Austupaio)Ruger 10/22 (varmint rifle, v2.1)Graphically different enough from other hunting rifle type weapons, makes sense for it to exist due to its quantity.
MG60 (Iwillbenicetou)Rheinmetall MG60 (replica GPMG, v2.1)Was voted on a lot in the 1st "Denied" poll. The base game light machine gun is basically this - but now with the MCM it's easy to add additional weapons and just make people pick and choose. It was also voted fourth place in the 2nd "Considered" poll.
Carl-GustafCarl-Gustaf M3 (MAAWS, v2.1)Additional rocket launchers to beef up the heavy gun selection. Maybe a disposable version of the RPG-7 or one with more specialized ammo.
Rimfire calibre weaponry (several)Ruger Mk III Standard (rimfire pistol, v2.1),
Ruger 10/22 (varmint rifle, v2.1),
Spencer Repeating Rifle (repeating rifle, v2.1)
Got top voted option in the 2nd "Denied" poll.

Considered (POLL)

Suggestion (author)Backlog (ETA?)Reasoning
[pic]P90 (Arigas)YesI personally liked this gun in a Counter-Strike spinoff where it had a long reload time and great firing rate, felt bulky and was actually outstanding for those reasons.
[pic]6P62 (123nick)NoProject Armory contains one. Looks cool though it's similar to any machinegun and its function as an anti-materiel rifle is not easily conveyed for that reason.
[pic]Glock (Iwillbenicetou)NoVery common, every mod adds this.
[pic]AK-12NoGraphically similar to the Galil though it's a possible addition.
[pic]Thompson (Jessi)NoThe guns have a characteristic and dissimilar design and would fit in mostly due to their aesthetic and due to them being easy to manufacture (more simple crafting content).
[pic]PPSH (Jessi)No"" ""
[pic]Sten M2 (Jessi)No"" ""
[pic]BazookaNoAdditional rocket launchers to beef up the heavy gun selection. Maybe a disposable version of the RPG-7 or one with more specialized ammo.
Mikor MGL buff (zenfur)No (code)Haven't tested it myself and I don't know if people would enjoy multiple elite raiders with 3-shot grenade launchers.
Non-lethal weaponry (several)NoWas voted on a lot in the previous poll. Several mods exist for this, it's unbalanced in terms of gameplay and hard to implement to both satisfy its real-life use and in-game balance. The upcoming CombatRealism release contains non-lethal bullets.
[pic]Designated marksman's rifles (Mr. Cross)NoWas voted on a lot in the previous poll. No interesting difference between assault rifles and modified assault rifles, no gameplay differences and merely a slight increase in fluff variety.

Denied (POLL)

Suggestion (author)Reasoning
[pic]Kel-Tech sub 2000 (Loki88)Gun shape is not obviously a carbine, kel-tec shotguns have similar shape and are more interesting.
[pic]Dual peacemakers (Othobrithol)Too gimmicky and the concept would work better as an artifact weapon in my opinion.
[pic]Vulcan cannon turret (Mechanoid Hivemind)This is not a turrets mod.
[pic]Smith&Wesson M&P15 (CaptOdee)Too similar to the vanilla assault rifle in terms of function, graphics etc.
[pic]M4A1, M4A4 (Iwillbenicetou)The base game assault rifle is basically this.

Thanks for your interest in Rimfire and a happy 2016!

Grimandevil

hey Alistaire,
have you thought of moving away from generic gun names (hunting rifle, military rifle) and use actual names instead? Because, with more weapons variety, generic names dont really fit. Atleast you could make a poll ;)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]