I see brewing, asking now Tynan if we could get grapes for wine!

Started by Ramsis, January 22, 2015, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Sorry, not much of a beer person myself but I'm sure a lot of people would be quite happy to see some additions of wine and the mixing of fruits if you get a wild hair.

Also hey, different alchohols would be marvelous because we could add qualities to it and sell them for higher prices/ship them to allies and enemies to buffer our friendships instead of wasting all our silver!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

JonoRig

http://youtu.be/z570J471aSI

I don't know how to embed, but this is what you made me think of, when saying other, non-beer, alternatives

vagineer1

This way our colonists can get pissed to all hell and still be fancy.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

loc978

I see your grapes and raise you honey. Let us brew mead!
Of course, then we'd need bees to pollinate our crops... also war axes and longboats.

Hmmm... also rice for sake.

Dr. Z

Even if different alchohols don't make it in Alpha 9, I'm sure it will be a future feature. And till then we have the modders :D
Prasie the Squirrel!

milon

With poisoned meals, alcohol, vomiting, and a Tales System to forever capture it in artwork, Alpha 9 is going to be a blast!  ;D

Dr. Z

James vomited on January 13th, 10 pm.
Frank vomited on January 13th, 11:30 pm.
Tina vomited on January 14th, 1 am.
James vomited on January 14th, 2 am.

The piece portrays a group of colonists vomiting on the floor. The overall composition is triangular. The overall composition is square. There is no overall composition.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Dr. Z

This method of sentece creating alongside the bugs have so much potential you just can't ignore that.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Mihsan

Quote from: Ramsis on January 22, 2015, 04:23:49 PMnot much of a beer person myself

Same thing. As russian i do not understand this "beer" thing. In 1985 we had our dry law and homemade alcohol became part of our culture. But beer? Come on, guys: for beer you need to grow special ingredients and then go through long and complex process to get this light stuff.

The better way is making moonshine (spiritus, hooch, samogon...). Distillation, right? All you need is heat, cold, water and fermentation product. Fermentation product from any stuff with sugar in it. Any sugar. Potatoes, berries and agave have sugar in them. Chop some potatoes into water, leave it in warm place for some time, then distillate and then BANG: strong alcohol, that will really make you drunk.

IMO moonshine can fit well in RimWorld.

But wine is fine too. I can imagine the luxury merchant ship, which will trade good wine.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: Mihsan on January 23, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on January 22, 2015, 04:23:49 PMnot much of a beer person myself

Same thing. As russian i do not understand this "beer" thing. In 1985 we had our dry law and homemade alcohol became part of our culture. But beer? Come on, guys: for beer you need to grow special ingredients and then go through long and complex process to get this light stuff.

The better way is making moonshine (spiritus, hooch, samogon...). Distillation, right? All you need is heat, cold, water and fermentation product. Fermentation product from any stuff with sugar in it. Any sugar. Potatoes, berries and agave have sugar in them. Chop some potatoes into water, leave it in warm place for some time, then distillate and then BANG: strong alcohol, that will really make you drunk.

IMO moonshine can fit well in RimWorld.

But wine is fine too. I can imagine the luxury merchant ship, which will trade good wine.
Hrmm... But don't forget that such a process may also produce the kind of alcohol you don't want. There are Ethanol and Methanol (I think Ethanol is the bad kind), one of them is good to drink and won't have a permanent affect on you body but the other one is HIGHLY poisonus and may kill you.
People with experience can make purely the good kind, while others just make a mix from both (there are many stories about some greedy ppl "thining" their good "healthy" brews with the waste bad alcohol just to make more money and through that kill ppl), that's why most governments have regulations for brewing and such.

If we get high % alcoholic stuff may we get "fuel" as a byproduct (maybe for generators, lamps etc.)? Unless you wanna serve your visitors "surprise" brews that may make them blind, have liver failure etc. ;P

Feniks

Mihsan I agree potatoes are the most commonly grown plant already so we are 1 step away from making some home made spirits.

Scotty

im looking forward to seeing colonists passing out in the middle of a booze session.
"adds in cartoon sound effects for the drunkards"

milon

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on January 23, 2015, 05:28:01 PM
If we get high % alcoholic stuff may we get "fuel" as a byproduct (maybe for generators, lamps etc.)? Unless you wanna serve your visitors "surprise" brews that may make them blind, have liver failure etc. ;P

Side note: I wonder if this "fuel" could be burned in a generator of sorts to provide a crude source of electricity in the annoying event of a solar flare...

Also, we need to be able to craft beer mugs, steins, wine bottles...

Xayl

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on January 23, 2015, 05:28:01 PM

Hrmm... But don't forget that such a process may also produce the kind of alcohol you don't want. There are Ethanol and Methanol (I think Ethanol is the bad kind), one of them is good to drink and won't have a permanent affect on you body but the other one is HIGHLY poisonus and may kill you.
People with experience can make purely the good kind, while others just make a mix from both (there are many stories about some greedy ppl "thining" their good "healthy" brews with the waste bad alcohol just to make more money and through that kill ppl), that's why most governments have regulations for brewing and such.

Short notice just to make that clear since it is actualy dangerous. Ethanol is the good stuff. Methanol is the stuff that makes you blind and kills you due to the building of dangerous formic acid during the digestion.

On topic, jeah I would like to see different types of alcoholic drinks too. Met might be more complicated because bees but high%-stuff? Or high-quality stuff for the snobs of the colony?^^
Edit: By high-quality I mean stuff that needs some months to get good. Like whine or Wiskey or what have you.