Farm Designs

Started by thestalkinghead, November 09, 2013, 08:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solemn

Well this has been illuminating.

In all seriousness, though, thanks gentlemen.  This information is keen stuff, and I'll be making use of this in future layouts.
QuoteYou people.

Stickle

Quote from: nnescio on November 15, 2013, 12:12:20 AM
Quote from: Stickle on November 14, 2013, 09:58:23 PM
Quote from: nnescio on November 09, 2013, 10:57:00 PM

Since the above is symmetrical, you can rotate the whole thing:

Are you sure that's right? I just built two adjacent standing laps against the short edge of a growing area, and the far tiles (6 tiles away) are not brightly lit and won't grow. But according to your graphic there, they should be...

Hmm... strange. I could have sworn it used to work. Maybe the lighting has changed a little between versions. It looks like the outermost edge doesn't get promoted to "brightly lit" despite being in the overlapping areas of two standing lamps.

I'll doublecheck things and draw a new template when I figure things out. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: So the "brightly lit" area template seem to change slightly depending on when, where or how (the order) of how I build the standing lamps, even when I built them in the same relative positions (one left and one right). Fiddling around with the wiring seem to change the lighting radius rarely. I can't find any rhyme or reason to what causes what changes. Maybe there's a background lighting value and not all "dark" tiles have the same lighting value, and far away light sources can affect this by a tiny amount.

Sometimes I get a symmetrical lit area. Sometimes I don't. I'm getting a bit cross-eyed here.

All the changes seem to be very slight, however. Maybe I can identify the "stable" brightly lit areas.

I wonder if maybe you can't have a brightly lit tile adjacent to a dark one? So, as per your graphic, the bottom and top 4 tiles should be brightly lit, but the next tile down/up would be completely unlit, so the game demotes those sets of tiles to just lit. Because as far as I can tell your graphic for a single lamp is fine, so unless the lighting algorithm is a little wonky this is the best I can come up with.

Reinhardt64

Quote from: Stickle on November 18, 2013, 01:07:28 PM
I wonder if maybe you can't have a brightly lit tile adjacent to a dark one? So, as per your graphic, the bottom and top 4 tiles should be brightly lit, but the next tile down/up would be completely unlit, so the game demotes those sets of tiles to just lit. Because as far as I can tell your graphic for a single lamp is fine, so unless the lighting algorithm is a little wonky this is the best I can come up with.

This seems the most logical explanation. While it does break parts of the farm design I prefer that the light transfers this way.

collider1

I think the regular light intersection for brightly lit has been removed as it isn't working for me. So here's my farm design. It has 16 hydroponics tables per sunlamp so they actually use slightly more electricity than the sun lamps.