Tech Level

Started by zachabobo, January 22, 2015, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachabobo

I had a really long document, but then accidentally hit the back button on my mouse and it proptly took me back to the forum homepage where I had to log in again. It is gone  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(. Anyway, this is an idea for a system that will pick the tech level of the planet. I will go over my idea in brief. I will note that the numbers in between do mean things, as changes will happen at the intervals But will be reinforced as the numbers go up. I will note again that this is just an idea, and if it is implemented into the game anything is changeable.

0 Tech level:No humans. Super boring.
1-10 tech level: Just hostile tribespeople. No trade ships, except for the stray one. Tribes are very focused near the equator.
10-30 tech level: Based off Biblical times kinda. Poorly crafted swords, and bows. and traveling merchants who sell wood and simple meals. Goodwill can be made by choosing a religion, which will strongly reinforce alliances while slightly alienating others and sometimes even your colonists. Still no trade ships.
30-40 tech level: Siege parties galore. You will start to see better crafted swords, crossbows, bows, as well as battering rams. Trade carts sell herbal medicine as well as all other things.
40-60 tech level: Many less sieges. Based off the renaissance in Italy. Art can be sold and bought at high prices. You also start to see inaccurate guns with low range, and cannons that shoot non-explosive ammo that breaks down walls. Also, maybe a blunderbuss that does tons of damage. It would basically be a melee weapon with a  long cooldown and requires shooting skill to shoot, if that makes any sense. Introduction of pirates. At 45 tribespeople are completely gone.
60-75 Tech level: More accurate rifles, and 0
After this is basically it is the base game in my mind. Increasingly, people will come in drop pods instead of from the ground. with decreasing amounts of less advanced factions. Maybe at higher tech levels people will have new guns like laser weapons.
This is not a final concept, just a few thoughts.

Side note: Factions are very often below tech level, but very rarely you will see someone above.
The tech levels will not affect your starting gear or your ability to craft things.

Professor Cupcake

Someone hasn't read the backstory.

You're on a rimworld. There is no unified tech level. Groups from all levels of sociological and technological development are present. If you were on any other kind of world, a governmental organisation would have likely picked you up (probably discounting tribal, but then, tribeworlds are just a few visitors away from becoming the same sort of situation as the rimworlds so there's no real difference).

zachabobo

Well, you see, then the tech level shouldn't be unified but an average with not too many outliers.

To me, it doesn't seem plausible that there would be some factions with guns, and, considering the amount of times the tribespeople attack, not one has fallen into their hands.

It doesn't have to be the planet, then. Maybe there could be a maximum tech level on the planet, and then different ones in different areas?

In the link you posted, this already exists minimally. The article says the worlds aren't varied each time (in other words), but also says that it is an industrial-age world. This reinforces my point rather than degrading it. One thing that could be changed is tribes all the way to the top.