some thoughts

Started by stvnlee, March 05, 2015, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stvnlee

I'm new to the game and to the forum, so sorry if these points have been made already.

1)  I've tried playing in tundra in the far north, where there is NO growing zone.  All the trees & raspberry bushes die about a week after I start.  New ones spawn, but stay stuck at 5% because it's too cold and/or not ever brightly lit.  The thing is, if new ones never grow, then how did the trees and bushes there at the start ever do so?  (Just asking for consistency)

2)  There are times when I want a character to do a few more things before resting.  So when they are heading for bed, I prioritize another task for them.  Sometimes after a few of those things, they aren't interested in resting anymore.  Tiredness shouldn't just disappear, right?

3)  Nudists can wear jackets and hats and still be happy they're nude. Doesn't that defeat the penalty of being nude?

4)  Things should either spoil or deteriorate, but not both, especially since freezing stops both.  One stat is superfluous, since either they spoil first or deteriorate first.  For example, it doesn't make sense that corn takes a long time to spoil, but will deteriorate as rapidly as all the other fruits & vegetables -- so it'll never spoil.

5)  I miss that in an earlier version one could rotate through one's colonists stats with , and . WHILE the overview screen was up.

stvnlee

One more thing:  I like the new produce options, but while corn and strawberries are advertised as likeable raw, they still make my colonists unhappy when they eat them.

stvnlee

Ok, I take back my comment about spoiling vs. deterioration -- I didn't know that putting a roof over something would stop deterioration.  I was freezing everything!  As for roofs ...

Being able to add or remove roofs just by zoning, and not doing any work, allows the exploit of doing so briefly just to make sell stuff available for orbital trade.  I think some work should be required.

Also, solar panels should initialize unroofed by default.

It seems odd to me that someone would pick up a full load of something, drop what fits into storage, then take the remainder all the way back to where it was picked up, rather than just dropping the remainder.

One addition that I'd like would be a color palette to change the colors of storage and growing zones.

The following seemed odd to me:  I built a wall around where I was going to build a geothermal generator.  The interior was "indoors".  Then I built the generator.  Now most of the interior was "outdoors" except for the three squares next to the only door.  However, all the squares were still roofed.

stvnlee

Oh, orbital trade doesn't required unroofed anymore.  That obviates the zone/de-zone exploit.  Nevermind!

Keychan

1) Trees don't die, they just stop growing in cold weather, and the berries are just there to provide some other source of food, whether they make it or not doesn't matter.
2) I've also noticed after a few prioritizing of jobs to a sleeping colonies makes them uninterested in resting, but eventually they will after some work.  Never had a problem with exhaustion like that.
3) Some nudist just don't wear underwear to satisfy their habits in real life, and there is no underwear or bras in Rimworld, so off goes pants and shirts.  And having a nudist in cold and hot regions would be undesirable if they couldn't wear insulation clothing.  Now that Tyran will make them have negative moods if they're clothed with 'underwear', having no clothes at all would be a hassle if they couldn't wear parkas and torques in 5 F temperatures.
4) Answered
5) I've just used a mod for colonist managing so can't help you there.
6) Corn and berries shouldn't be giving the -12 mood debuff, if you're getting that then something is wrong.