[A10] Mining&Co. Mining helmet (V10.0 29-04-2015)

Started by Rikiki, January 23, 2015, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Would these helmets make you more visible to enemies shooting at you? That would be a downside to them.  I usually have kill boxes with attackers in the light and defenders in the dark. These would defeat that. Still, could be useful if you have dedicated miners that don't contribute to defense.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rikiki

Yep, this is a work apparel, not a battle equipment so the light will be a disadvantage in your case.
You would need to drop it before entering the fight. :)

Rock5

Fair enough.

I was just thinking if you gave all your colonist one of these you wouldn't have to put any lighting anywhere in your base. :)
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rikiki

This would severly break immersion but this is your game, not mine! :D Do as please you!

Rikiki

Updated for Alpha 9.
CPU performance should be significantly improved.

Rikiki

Quotedeadmeat5150: I have a problem with the mining helmets. The light they provide seems to need to be calculated every single tick, when when night hits and my miners' lights come on, the game slows to a crawl.

Did you tested the M&Co. Alert speaker mod? Do you have lags too with it?
There seems to be huge performance issues with "dynamic" glowers rendering for some people.
Do you have a low-end PC or old video card maybe?
I don't think I can do anything about that, sorry... :( Buy a new computer? ::)

deadmeat5150

I put this computer together less than a month ago and it's a beast. I didn't try the alarm speakers until you asked and no, I don't experience any lag with it at all.

Rikiki

Did you tested the alert speaker during a raid with flashing lights? Are you using other mods?
This is quite strange and hard to debug as I never experienced those lags. :-\
The code is however really simple and should not take too much CPU (each tick: refresh the timer of an existing light or spawn a new one at current pawn location).

Haktrum

What would a "dynamic" glower be? Glowers that turn on and off unlike lamps?
Maybe you could move the building along with the pawn instead of spawning a new one whenever they move. You would have, for a pawn moving at 4c/s, 4 times less glowers created. If you do it, you should turn off and on the glower after moving the building or the glower will stay put. (If you're interested I actually did it and could give you the source)
Regarding lag, I'm on a shitty notebook right now and get a little lag with 12 helmet users on x3 but it's not that bad and I'm using GIMP and Firefox with 20+ tabs at the same time.

deadmeat5150

It may be some of the other mods I'm using interfering.

Rikiki

@Haktrum: I do not completely understand your solution but please send it to me so I can compare both versions. :)

@deadmeat5150: Let me know if you find a major incompatibility with another mod.

Haktrum

Attached. It seems to be less laggy but it might be more noticeable on lower end computers.
I'm actually new to C#, I began 6 days ago because of this modding stuff, please have mercy if something is too stupid :P

[attachment deleted due to age]

Instant must have. I was getting tired of having miners freak out on deep mining expeditions.

erg

Any way to make this give cave-in resistance? I'd love for it to provide extra protection against falling rocks.

Rikiki

Updated to V9.1: code enhancements thanks to Haktrum propositions. :)

@erg: this helmet already provides a protection against blunt damage (40%).
But... my M&Co. miners are too experimented to trigger a cave-in so I did not explicitely tested it... :P