Capturing wounded Enemies

Started by Stormkiko, November 10, 2013, 12:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormkiko

(Colony has 16-18 people, day ~145)

Later on in the game you stop getting slave traders (Haven't seen one at all this colony) and wanders are few and very far between. This leaves the main source for acquiring colonists as capturing raiders. I was wondering if there were ways to increase the chances of wounding them rather than killing them or if it is just completely random. I tried it out a few times reloading the same battle, and there were many times I got no survivors, several I got one, a couple I got two, and one where I even got three.  This was on a raid of 35. As I think of it, if capturing them was more common I'd be hard pressed to always have enough houses, but I'm still curious as to how the system decides if a raider is incapacitated or wounded. Colonists seem to simply get wounded far more often than killed (Which is nice)

Addendum: It seems that the first raid of one raider, it always allows you to capture them. Truth or luck?

Showoff

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it really is just a random chance. It seems to happen more often when you melee raiders, but I think using a weapon that doesn't do a ton of damage might work too. Another way to acquire colonists is to trap the raiders until they give up and randomly start to "wander" (there'll be a message), or they collapse from starvation and you can capture them then.

But yeah, reloading works. I know for a fact that you can target someone when you're near them, pause, save, and just reload if you kill them. Eventually they get incapacitated and you can capture them. I'd give them a few shots so their hp was around 40-50 and then melee the rest and reload a ton. I haven't had this tactic work when the raiders loyalty has been over 20% 30% though, and it seems like every time you hit them their loyalty increases. It's a little tedious so I wouldn't recommend actually doing it while playing through unless you really want some immediate new colonists. I wouldn't mind knowing if there were exact conditions that had to be met or something too.

nnescio

The storyteller decides when you get a new colonist. Some random numbers are involved, and meleeing increases incap chance, but generally the incap chance for raiders (and the probability of other events that let you recruit new colonists, like slave ships) decreases the more colonists you have.

The first lone raider has a very high incap chance.

All bets are off on Randy Random, however. You can get ridiculous numbers of colonists on Randy if you're good at defending against raiders. It got to the point that I was throwing away less-skilled colonists (especially nobles) by drafting them as grenadiers (and using other riskier, but faster tactics) in order to keep the population count down.

(Oh sure I could choose not to recruit them, but having another meatshield or grenadier around is always useful.)