So, I have 43 colonists and I'm making a ship..

Started by BoogieMan, January 26, 2015, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiceabear

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 26, 2015, 08:25:12 PM
This would be fine... As long as it's optional. As it stands, I can complete a game with ease in six months, sometimes less - with no mods. I'm no longer interested in ending a game - I want continuous play, without being punished for pursuing it.

Certainly. I'm hoping the Storytellers, Scenarios (via EdB's mod), etc are further enriched to allow each of us to calibrate the challenge to what suits us - building isolated fortresses, defending the Alamo, or quelling mutiny, to name just a few examples.

Boboid

For the record you can grow steel.

When you smelt bows/clubs/pilas/any weapon you can craft made out of wood, you get steel.

It's not a LOT of steel and it takes a while to grow and then cut down trees.. and it's probably not intended! but you can certainly do it.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Pathing

I always get supreme omega lag from bugs or something that keeps my pc burning when I got about 45 colonists.
However, I am sure it will be so awesome when alpha 9 comes out since I heard that many mechanics in game get massive boost.

And, sigh, I want some modes that have 0% or more than 160% (more than extreme challenge).
Those pirates make me feel greedy. XD (half of them died, few got incapacitated and half of them ran away, such a waste, those money ran away) ;D
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

skullywag

the reason for the lag at those numbers ironically is your namesake...pathing. Cant wait to see what gains Tynans made in A9 for AI.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Geertje123

Quote from: skullywag on January 28, 2015, 03:55:07 AM
the reason for the lag at those numbers ironically is your namesake...pathing. Cant wait to see what gains Tynans made in A9 for AI.

Are you sure about that? Idling my colonists gives more lag than when they have jobs (and thus a path). When they have no job and no path, they just walk around doing nothing and the lag is pretty large at that point.

OldVamp

Quote from: Geertje123 on January 28, 2015, 06:36:06 AM
Quote from: skullywag on January 28, 2015, 03:55:07 AM

Are you sure about that? Idling my colonists gives more lag than when they have jobs (and thus a path). When they have no job and no path, they just walk around doing nothing and the lag is pretty large at that point.

Pathing is finding a route to walk, if they are walking around (even doing nothing) they are pathing.
Idling and moving around the eating tables is pathing.
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Geertje123

Quote from: OldVamp on January 28, 2015, 11:37:14 AMPathing is finding a route to walk, if they are walking around (even doing nothing) they are pathing.
Idling and moving around the eating tables is pathing.

Ah right, I guess that is true indeed.
I hope Tynan optimized that as well

milon

He majorly optimized the AI, which means every time colonists make a decision, they do it MUCH faster than before.  Everyone should see a speed boost.  *fingers crossed*

Geertje123

Quote from: milon on January 28, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
He majorly optimized the AI, which means every time colonists make a decision, they do it MUCH faster than before.

That doesn't have to mean it. It could also mean they they don't walk in a zigzag anymore but in a straight line now. Optimization is kind of an ambiguous word.

milon

You're right - on its own it can be pretty ambiguous.  That said, the zigzag path is intentional.  Your colonists are choosing squares that give the highest walking speed.  A smooth clean stone floor will yield 100% walking speed.  Snow, debris, soil, plants, etc will all slow them down.  Tynan posted in the forum somewhere about details of the optimization.  Ultimately, each AI is much more efficient and faster than before (decision making, etc).

Boboid

Quote from: milon on January 28, 2015, 05:00:42 PM
You're right - on its own it can be pretty ambiguous.  That said, the zigzag path is intentional.  Your colonists are choosing squares that give the highest walking speed.  A smooth clean stone floor will yield 100% walking speed.  Snow, debris, soil, plants, etc will all slow them down.  Tynan posted in the forum somewhere about details of the optimization.  Ultimately, each AI is much more efficient and faster than before (decision making, etc).

It's not just choosing squares, it's choosing an entire path that takes the minimum amount of movements ( Colonists can travel diagonally with no associated penalty), then modified by speed multipliers.

So yeah the diagonal paths are intentional and actually optimal, no optimization required :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

lumipharon

They don't always follow an optimal path.
On my current game, I have a 3 wide corridor leading out of the base, with a wider area on the base side. Basically a funnel.
At the neck of the funnel, I have sandbags, with a 1 wide gap in the middle.

Most pawns will go down the middle, but sometimes they will go down the side of the funnel, over 2 rows of sandbags, before going down the corridor.

tuver

Meanwhile I have a ship that can handle that many people but only have 7 people because even the raiders attack my colonist don't leave any alive.