Map-Generated Impassable Walls

Started by dashbarron, January 25, 2015, 12:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashbarron

So...anyway to deconstruct/mine these? About the only thing in the game I haven't discovered.

Halinder

The stone/steel/random walls? You have to use the 'claim' order to be able to mine them out/deconstruct them.

TheSilencedScream

What Halindar said. Under Orders, there should be an option to Claim, highlight the entire wall, and then deconstruct. Make sure there's no roof, or else it'll collapse on you.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Boboid

The same goes for Mortars and Sandbags that're built by sieging enemies, you'll have to Claim them before you can Deconstruct them for their steel :)
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

dashbarron

Ah! Claim, gotcha.

Enemies attacking will lay sandbags? Hmm, never seen that. I'm usually worried about not dying.

I estimate I'm at about 42 hours in or so. I'm on my second map, this time choose the north/snow/mountainous for difficulty. Then decided to hollow in a mountain and use that for defense.

Basically, defense is      TTTTTTTTTT
                                   ------------
                                   |            |
                                   |            |
                                      ------

So the auto turrets do a pretty swift job of gunning down anyone. They've just started to make it to the wall before they die, so I'm not sure if I can double up the turrets or they'll shoot each other. Either way, seems to be a good setup so far. I'm only lucky raiders aren't taking out external power. Really excited to see upcoming features for outdoor bases and cave dwellers.

Something else I have been curious about. What's the point of having neighboring tribes /random NPCs pass by if you can't interact with them? One shot at capturing them before the entire tribe hates you--even if they're a fugitive--unless you bribe back your friendship with enough silver?

Thanks, glad to have found this game!

Halinder

Interactions with other factions is something that's planned for a later date, I recall. Tynan's more focused on things within the colony, especially fires -- you'll hear that a lot, how fires are hell on earth, or whatever planet you're on. I think them traveling past and visiting is sort of just flavor right now, though they can occasionally run into an enemy pirate group and do a little damage before they die.

dashbarron

Ah, gotcha. And speaking of fires....

Another issue I'm not sure I'm missing something. I just had an explosion that caused a massive firebomb and killed all of my people. Now, I have about 26,000 Watts or what not of power stored in batteries. I was trying to diversify the lines to see if it made a difference, but any discharge takes out the entire grid, kind of defeating the purpose of having them stashed in different places. Anyway to avoid this? Seems like it's a penalty to have more power in reserve.

Halinder

The entire point of that conduit detonation event, I think, is to deter people from having massive stocks of power. It's not too often that it happens, but one time is devastating enough to make people reconsider, thus making further events like eclipses have more effect on your power supply. It's an event to balance your power system. I usually only have 4 batteries at any given time, 26 will hurt you /badly/.

Diversifying the lines? If you mean making many different ways for conduits to get to a place, it won't cause any difference since everything is still connected to a single grid. Still, after the explosion, having more than one way for a conduit to get to an area can be beneficial since having a single line of conduits to power your entire colony means not only do your batteries drain, but you also have to then build new conduits to recover power.

milon

Alpha 9 has power switches, which will help with this.  A flip of a switch, instead of the current (de)constructing a power conduit, will connect/disconnect the power grid.  So you can have massive/multiple battery packs, and switch them on/off at will.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: dashbarron on January 25, 2015, 08:39:08 PM
Something else I have been curious about. What's the point of having neighboring tribes /random NPCs pass by if you can't interact with them? One shot at capturing them before the entire tribe hates you--even if they're a fugitive--unless you bribe back your friendship with enough silver?

Thanks, glad to have found this game!

As of right now, the only real use for them is if you want to capture them to make them part of your colony (which will turn the rest of their faction against you). There is a Misc. mod that will allow trade opportunities when they visit you, but - for the time being - it doesn't seem to be anything different than a bulk goods trader.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

dashbarron

Gotcha and gotcha.

Thanks for the time to reply.

milon

Note that the next release, Alpha 9, will introduce the ability to rescue incap'd visitors.  It's still no trading ability, but it's better than nothing!

GlassDeviant

Quote from: Halinder on January 26, 2015, 12:16:23 AM
The entire point of that conduit detonation event, I think, is to deter people from having massive stocks of power. It's not too often that it happens, but one time is devastating enough to make people reconsider, thus making further events like eclipses have more effect on your power supply. It's an event to balance your power system. I usually only have 4 batteries at any given time, 26 will hurt you /badly/.

Diversifying the lines? If you mean making many different ways for conduits to get to a place, it won't cause any difference since everything is still connected to a single grid. Still, after the explosion, having more than one way for a conduit to get to an area can be beneficial since having a single line of conduits to power your entire colony means not only do your batteries drain, but you also have to then build new conduits to recover power.

Wasn't the whole point of batteries existing in the first place to prevent having to go without power during the night/eclipses/etc. Sometimes I wonder at the give-and-take approach to this game, giving something with one hand and taking it away with the other.

If the knowledge exists to produce Charge Lances and Charge Rifles, certainly giant batteries (larger than my 21st century $99 home office UPS by a factor of at least 20) can be built that have protection from surges and spikes.

Regarding diversification, you could also build several discrete power systems, each having its own set of batteries in an independent location. If the circuit powering your housing heaters and coolers goes down, your defensive weapons would still be active and ready to repel invaders and your pantry, kitchen and workrooms would still be in working order.