How to use dev mode to put out fires? Colonists are terrible firefighters.

Started by BoogieMan, January 24, 2015, 02:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

I understand it will b e fixed in the next release, but currently colonists are almost totally incapable of dealing with fires, and fires are common.

Is it possible to use the dev mode to put out fires? I'm tired of someone on the other side of the map reserving fire and allowing it to spread when someone is right next to it. It's to the point now looking through people and drafting them for a moment to remove reservations isn't desirable and interrupts normal colony tasks.

Fruit loops

i don't think there is a command, but grenades put out fire instantly.
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

BoogieMan

Innese

If I remember correctly there is a weather option in the dev mode that can be used to start a rainstorm :)

Shinzy

you can use the 'Tool: destroy' command it wipes out everything from the clicked square (grass, items, buildings, flame)
or turn on the rain, then draft cupla colonists to manually stand next to flames and they'll put out any they can reach

BoogieMan

OldVamp

i find if you draft them and stick them by the fires they will put it out everything they can reach.
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Goo Poni

The game does also (sometimes annoyingly) try to control fires by starting a downpour if there's something of an inferno going on. Of course, it makes the whole "KILL IT WITH FIRE" tactic a little hard to put in play. Setting off a wildfire to burn some raiders and then have spontaneous english showers ruin it...

BoogieMan

My problem is that since I have like 28 people the attacker waves are getting big, and I had a huge forest fire going on. They would eventually clear up 90% of it, then some jackass on the other side of the map would claim the last fire, and by the time they got there it had built back up. It started to happen with enough frequency that constantly drafting/undrafting people and interrupting their jobs and keeping people out in the field to deal with the fire for so long started to really hurt morale and food production. And they had the habbit of standing inside a fire to get to another, making yet another job to deal with for the doctors who were still busy after the psychic drone with 5 centipedes and 3 or 4 of the little robot dudes.

OldVamp

It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Listy

The option you're looking for is Change weather (top left)> Rain.

Fire is the one thing that really drives me round the bend. Not only the way Colonists deal with it (the afore mentioned I'll leave this fire for tom whose coming from several miles away) which, as has been noted, getting fixed. But fire fighting technology.

The only response colonists have to a fire is flapping at it with their bare hands and jumping up and down on it.
Power armour, laser guns and Geothermal energy are all possible in this game, but some how in the intervening millennia humanity has lost the technology to make fire extinguishers.

Even if you don't want to make everyone have their own portable fire extinguisher from the start, at least make it so its a researchable technology.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Listy on January 25, 2015, 03:26:38 AM
The only response colonists have to a fire is flapping at it with their bare hands and jumping up and down on it.
Power armour, laser guns and Geothermal energy are all possible in this game, but some how in the intervening millennia humanity has lost the technology to make fire extinguishers.

Even if you don't want to make everyone have their own portable fire extinguisher from the start, at least make it so its a researchable technology.

So they also cut down trees, mine ore, and build spaceships with their bare hands? I assume colonists do have tools, they just aren't shown. And I don't mind; it seems like it would just be extra complication and work to make and store tools and have to have the colonists get them before working.

If there were a research for firefighting, I assume it would work like the pneumatic picks or whatever that one's called, and speed up colonists' firefighting.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Goo Poni on January 24, 2015, 05:33:16 PM
The game does also (sometimes annoyingly) try to control fires by starting a downpour if there's something of an inferno going on. Of course, it makes the whole "KILL IT WITH FIRE" tactic a little hard to put in play. Setting off a wildfire to burn some raiders and then have spontaneous english showers ruin it...
Meanwhile I'm hoping the fire code can get optimized enough that we can have some spontaneous Aussie Bushfires to kill everything.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite