Steel is acting not as steel at all.

Started by Mihsan, January 25, 2015, 11:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihsan

Steel is acting not as steel at all. Am I the only one, who is frustrated about this?

I mean "steel" in RimWorld acts more like aluminum and it's alloys: it gives low armor and it can burn.

As I see it:
- Steel walls and doors should be different. They should be rare, expensive and strong. Stronger than stone ones. Real blast doors and vault walls.
- On the other side current "steel" could be renamed into "alloy" (light alloy? must something simple and general...) and be perfect as it is. Because such thing looks ideal for building your space colony.

Also would be nice if metalls will need to be processed from raw ore into usable form before you actually could build from them.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

vagineer1

Quote from: Mihsan on January 25, 2015, 11:20:46 AM
Also would be nice if metals will need to be processed from raw ore into usable form before you actually could build from them.

It would need a big payout or else it would just be a waste of the players' time and not fun at all.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

evrett33

can we name it "rimmetal" or something..steel isnt found in the ground..some kid is going to mislearn what steel actaully is.

vagineer1

Quote from: evrett33 on January 25, 2015, 12:20:32 PM
can we name it "rimmetal" or something..steel isnt found in the ground..some kid is going to mislearn what steel actaully is.

I'm no metal worker but even I know that steel is formed by combining Iron and Coal
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

JonoRig

I admit, i preferred it when it was just called "metal" but Ty might have ideas, or just thought steel sounder cooler, but yes, it is a little strange that steel catches fire... and so easily under the circumstances in the game

Mihsan

Quote from: evrett33 on January 25, 2015, 12:20:32 PM
can we name it "rimmetal" or something

Nice idea.

Quote from: evrett33 on January 25, 2015, 12:20:32 PM..steel isnt found in the ground..some kid is going to mislearn what steel actaully is.

It also gives me good portion of frustration.

Quote from: vagineer1 on January 25, 2015, 11:49:05 AMIt would need a big payout or else it would just be a waste of the players' time and not fun at all.

Working with stone requires research and special workplacе. Why metals should work different? Metalworking is more advanced technology than stonecutting, but somehow our pawns can build stuff out of fresh mined "steel" (which is iron ore?).

P.S.: IMO Tynan just did not visit this area of the game, so it is still raw. Could not believe that such silly stuff will be in final product (both "mining steel" and "weak steel wall"), because he shows great attention to detail in other parts of the game.

Quote from: JonoRig on January 25, 2015, 01:42:59 PM
I admit, i preferred it when it was just called "metal" but Ty might have ideas, or just thought steel sounder cooler, but yes, it is a little strange that steel catches fire... and so easily under the circumstances in the game

This one too. Just "metal" was better than "steel" because it was leaving space for interpretation.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

BoogieMan

It's also strange that steel creations are half the strength of those made of stone. Why should the much more valuable/limited resource produce such weak stuff?

Definitely needs some adjusting.

TrashMan

I'd propose for stonecutting to be easily accessible early, and advanced metalworking needing some research. Ore has to be smelted (need a smelter...mining coal?).
You get iron and it's basically the basic metal walls you get
Iron can be refined into steel, which is much more durable (new, better wall)

Altough iron/steel walls aren't solid blocks of that material (like stone walls), but thinner steel plates placed over framed from other materials?

In other words, a basic metal wall is no where near as dense or thick of a stone wall. Hence why stone walls rock.

Kolljak

Steel is formed when Coal and Iron are under Large Amounts of Heat that are not able to be reproduced in nature other then volcano's and foundries [and medieval late forges]. and infused with a few other oxidizers and neutralizers.

Shadewarp

Silly thing to be discussing realism in a fantasy game? Just saying...

Appart from that, I support the idea of renaming steel as I was like: whaat... compacted steel?!.... :D

Matthiasagreen

Regarding the properties of the meal, I have no clue. The name being changed to steel was a conscious decision by  Tynan. The metal you are mining is not natural ore. IIRC, these metals are the remnants of older civilizations, left buried by time or terraforming. Some older civilization mined ores, created steel structures, and these structures are what you are finding. Thus, it's a processed metal you are finding. Not an ore. This is why you can find plasteel, which is not a natural material at all.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

JonoRig

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on January 26, 2015, 01:17:36 PM
Regarding the properties of the meal, I have no clue. The name being changed to steel was a conscious decision by  Tynan. The metal you are mining is not natural ore. IIRC, these metals are the remnants of older civilizations, left buried by time or terraforming. Some older civilization mined ores, created steel structures, and these structures are what you are finding. Thus, it's a processed metal you are finding. Not an ore. This is why you can find plasteel, which is not a natural material at all.

A nice, i dont suppose you have a link to that being said? Reasonable enough reason for a sci fi game, i do kind of hope some of the fluff will be more explicit in the game when its nearly finished, whenever that may be

SuperCaffeineDude

That's cool, but we already have abandoned steel buildings to plunder, and salvageable steel that has been around long enough to fuse into rock is a bit much to swallow. I don't at all think this is a major issue, though I think smelting would be cool to have, or just having it  renamed metal again.

RemingtonRyder

Basically, you could. The thing is, you would need some early means of smelting which doesn't use the thing you're looking to create, otherwise you get a chicken and the egg scenario.

skullywag

Just confirming what was said above about you mining old buildings/ships, cant dig out the quote right now but its widely known this is the case as Tynan stated as much when he made the change.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?