Post your defense

Started by Stormkiko, November 10, 2013, 06:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormkiko

I was scrolling through the post of people's bases as a whole looking at ideas for tweaking my defensive system and I figured I may as well make a thread dedicated to defence. Currently, these are my two defences on this colony. Both provide no cover for the raiders and maximal cover for the colonists. The only downside for the more open one is raiders coming at the corner or sides, colonists get caught in a lot of crossfire.

The hallway. Turrets on the side helping to deter raiders from crossing the sandbags.

My main bunker being defended. The two outermost are snipers. The main problem being if a raider comes from the side, everyone turns and shoots each other in the back. Also the turrets tend to hit my pawns every once in a while but it's not too bad.

I expanded it a bit and zoomed out, you can see it has been quite effective. I know the concrete allows raiders to walk faster, however it's more for the control of fire spread. Also it can't be removed.

rh

QuoteThe main problem being if a raider comes from the side, everyone turns and shoots each other in the back. Also the turrets tend to hit my pawns every once in a while but it's not too bad.

Haha yeah. Friendly fire is quite a thing in Rimworld and that's pretty cool. You can control line of sight a bit by placing walls. And don't position your settlers too close to turrets because of friendly fire and the risk of explosions.

zztangnr

All I want to say is you don't need any turrets, if you have enough men.

Galileus

No turrets, no pancakes, no funnelling. Expected losses at 1 to 2 people dead and a few incapacitated each fight. Works like a charm!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

zztangnr

Quote from: Galileus on November 10, 2013, 07:11:21 AM
No turrets, no pancakes, no funnelling. Expected losses at 1 to 2 people dead and a few incapacitated each fight. Works like a charm!

I like your bunker, that's cool man!

Semmy

Awsome defences.

I feel like a noob i never get that far d-:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Altosk

Lechai

I'll post my defense setup when i get home.

I've gotten to about 30 odd colonists all with pulse rifles and about 8 turrets
i can take out up to about 50 raiders without loss.
The only issue is the pansies on hauling duty don't like getting blood on their clean clothes hauling corpses and nearly break.... wimps!

SourceVG

It's very hard for raiders to get in :p

ShadowDragon8685

SourceVG: Wow. That's... Quite a bonehoard you've got going.

You should give five guys molotov cocktails and watch that mother burn!

Question: Did you rotate the turrets? If not, it looks like the side turrets in your pic should blow up the walls next to them.
Raiders must die!

Lechai

Here is my base defence
solid and cheap

Xanting

Here's my defense, nice and almost nonexistent.

maxthebeast11

Quote from: Xanting on November 11, 2013, 09:40:28 PM

It's ok. I like it.

Veneke

Quote from: maxthebeast11 on November 11, 2013, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: Xanting on November 11, 2013, 09:40:28 PM

It's ok. I like it.

What? That's a cool defence. I tried it myself but didn't survive the second or third wave... shame, as the idea of a township, rather than an underground fortress, is really rather appealing.

Stormkiko

QuoteHere's my defense, nice and almost nonexistent.

Sometimes those are the best.

QuoteI tried it myself but didn't survive the second or third wave... shame, as the idea of a township, rather than an underground fortress, is really rather appealing.

Depends on how you set it up. I had a defence like this keep me alive for a while. They can be quite fun.