Keep mods up to date

Started by InfinityKage, January 26, 2015, 07:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

Is there an easy way to keep all the mods I use up to date? Searching the forums every few days is getting exhausting...

Vonholtz

I do not know of the best way but this link list all the mod's for A8. And it has links to all of them so if it been updated you can look here.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7930.0

Igabod

It's not finished quite yet, but the Mod installer and auto-update tool will eventually be capable of automatically updating your mods.

As for the mod list, that is only updated when a new mod is added. I don't update the list for every update for all the mods and I just can't possibly do that with the list being so long and there being so much activity on this forum. The best method for this would be simply to support the KingofAwesomnia in his efforts to make the tool I linked you to above. The more people that he knows are waiting on it, the more likely he is to work faster on it.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Vonholtz on January 26, 2015, 07:21:14 PM
I do not know of the best way but this link list all the mod's for A8. And it has links to all of them so if it been updated you can look here.

Wow, that list really needs some categories. As it stands its just a giant unwieldy wall of text.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

joshwoo69

This shouldn't be in the release thread!

Igabod

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 27, 2015, 02:48:26 AM

Wow, that list really needs some categories. As it stands its just a giant unwieldy wall of text.

It's not going to be any less unwieldy by adding categories. For one, adding categories means more text, not less (and the 20,000 character limit per post is already a problem). And for two, I personally like it better being an alphabetical list of all the mods. More complexity to a listing system isn't what is needed. Not to mention, I think Evul is going to be adding the categories thing to the wiki modlist so it would be pointless for me to replicate it on the forum, especially since I don't have access on the forums to all the fancy features that are possible with the wiki. The unofficial mod list will remain an alphabetical order wall of text that makes it easy to find specific mods by name. If you're looking for a general type of mod but don't know what you want exactly then you'll have to wait till Evul adds the categories to the wiki list.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Igabod on January 27, 2015, 03:51:08 AM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 27, 2015, 02:48:26 AM

It's not going to be any less unwieldy by adding categories. For one, adding categories means more text, not less (and the 20,000 character limit per post is already a problem). And for two, I personally like it better being an alphabetical list of all the mods. More complexity to a listing system isn't what is needed. Not to mention, I think Evul is going to be adding the categories thing to the wiki modlist so it would be pointless for me to replicate it on the forum, especially since I don't have access on the forums to all the fancy features that are possible with the wiki. The unofficial mod list will remain an alphabetical order wall of text that makes it easy to find specific mods by name. If you're looking for a general type of mod but don't know what you want exactly then you'll have to wait till Evul adds the categories to the wiki list.

Take a look at this. At least as many entries while being much more readable thanks to categorization. Instead of one unwieldy list the categories split it into readable sublists. And alphabetical listing is pointless because if I want to find a mod by name I simply use Ctrl+F. But that point is moot if Evul adds a properly organized list to the Wiki, although then people should link to that one instead.

Igabod

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 27, 2015, 04:34:22 AM
Take a look at this. At least as many entries while being much more readable thanks to categorization. Instead of one unwieldy list the categories split it into readable sublists. And alphabetical listing is pointless because if I want to find a mod by name I simply use Ctrl+F. But that point is moot if Evul adds a properly organized list to the Wiki, although then people should link to that one instead.

To me, that  is nowhere near as readable. Everything on one line all squished together for each mod makes it difficult to see the names, especially with the default theme being white background with a light blue link for the name that looks barely any different from the regular text. Also, not everything there has a description. And they apparently have  a higher character limit per post too.

I can understand how it might frustrate someone that the mod list isn't being done in the way that they think is best, but that frustration would be just as much for me if I were to emulate the mod list you linked. And if I get frustrated with it then I'm not going to end up maintaining it as much as I currently am. So essentially I guess you are free to not use my mod list if it bothers you that much. But I'm sorry, I still won't be changing it. I hope you can understand that and there are no hard feelings. I'd certainly switch it up if there was an alternative suggestion that I like better though, so please don't hesitate to point me toward other examples that might be done better. I'd like to satisfy everybody's needs as much as possible without making the list a chore to maintain.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Igabod on January 27, 2015, 05:01:33 AM
I can understand how it might frustrate someone that the mod list isn't being done in the way that they think is best, but that frustration would be just as much for me if I were to emulate the mod list you linked. And if I get frustrated with it then I'm not going to end up maintaining it as much as I currently am. So essentially I guess you are free to not use my mod list if it bothers you that much. But I'm sorry, I still won't be changing it. I hope you can understand that and there are no hard feelings. I'd certainly switch it up if there was an alternative suggestion that I like better though, so please don't hesitate to point me toward other examples that might be done better. I'd like to satisfy everybody's needs as much as possible without making the list a chore to maintain.

I'm not frustrated with it, I just think it could be done better. Personally I wouldn't use either list since I have been around long enough and active enough to see new mods when they pop up to the point where I don't need one. However, my considerations were more for new players who are less familiar with what mods are out there. They come here with the intend of either just browsing, or finding a mod to perform something specific. The latter would be helped more by a categorized listing since someone looking for medicine crafting might know to look under "medicine-related mods" but not "Distilled Xerigium". Of course you are free to maintain your list in the manner you see fit but it simply seemed like an obvious suggestion to me and if I come across as frustrated it is because tone is hard to convey over text, not because I demand it be done my way or as a personal attack against you or something.

RemingtonRyder

Maybe in the meantime someone could set up a blog (with Wordpress or something else) and post about mod updates as they see them.

Actually, you know, I just put together a daily post of updates. Enjoy! :)

If you guys want to post comments on the daily update post and tell me about updates to mods that I might have missed - not all mod topics have a date in the title, for example - then I'll amend that as soon as possible.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Igabod on January 27, 2015, 05:01:33 AM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 27, 2015, 04:34:22 AM

To me, that  is nowhere near as readable. Everything on one line all squished together for each mod makes it difficult to see the names, especially with the default theme being white background with a light blue link for the name that looks barely any different from the regular text. Also, not everything there has a description. And they apparently have  a higher character limit per post too.

I have to agree with this sentiment. The Kerbal list gives me a headache (though, perhaps, a lot of it comes from the white background).

Not to mention, there are many mods that address more than one thing. Either they'd need to be listed multiple times (which would lead to the list becoming more of an eyesore) or they'd need to be incorrectly left out of certain categories.

The current list with brief descriptions is still my preference, between the two.
Is there a better way? I'm sure one could be found... but I don't think that particular one is it.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

RemingtonRyder

I combed the Releases board and made a list of updates for yesterday (it's quite a few!)

I dunno if I'll be able to stay on top of all the updates, but I do check the board quite frequently so I figure it'll be easy enough to do them as I see them.

InfinityKage

Quote from: Igabod on January 26, 2015, 07:32:56 PM
It's not finished quite yet, but the Mod installer and auto-update tool will eventually be capable of automatically updating your mods.

As for the mod list, that is only updated when a new mod is added. I don't update the list for every update for all the mods and I just can't possibly do that with the list being so long and there being so much activity on this forum. The best method for this would be simply to support the KingofAwesomnia in his efforts to make the tool I linked you to above. The more people that he knows are waiting on it, the more likely he is to work faster on it.

This seem like the best approach. Thanks.