Why is there no windows?

Started by Ruger, January 25, 2015, 04:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger

Am I the only person that has spotted the lack of this very important invention in this game?

As this game is loosely based on Firefly and one of my favourite episodes being the defence of a brothel, where the party fortify the building and fire at the raiders from the windows. This is also a strong staple of shoot outs and standoffs in many Western films e.g Young Guns (1988).

Currently the best method I have found to replicate this is a mixture of wall/sandbag/wall, that colonists can hide behind and fire from, this is all well and good but it will be considered by the game to be outdoors.

This should be ridiculously easy to add to the game, take the normal door code: make it much harder to travel through (climb through window), create a new graphic, add a defence bonus similar to sandbags. You can even keep the lockable ability of the door as in closing shutters or whatever.

To further add depth you can allow them to light a room during daylight hours kinda like... actual windows :D, to remove the darkness negative moodlets.

tl;dr Add windows for defence and room lighting purposes.

rbos

Could be super simple to add, indeed. Literally, just reskin the sandbags. They could function exactly the same.

Ruger

Quote from: rbos on January 25, 2015, 05:20:18 PM
Could be super simple to add, indeed. Literally, just reskin the sandbags. They could function exactly the same.

Well I was thinking door because it already makes areas count as indoors, and opening/closing the windows would be kinda cool, could maybe even use it as a low-tech heat regulator.

FridayBiology

there is a glassworks mod, it adds two types of glass
> glass
> safety glass

you can't shoot through it though so consider it as a wall component
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Ruger

Quote from: Feirfec on January 25, 2015, 09:35:42 PM
there is a glassworks mod, it adds two types of glass
> glass
> safety glass

you can't shoot through it though so consider it as a wall component

Did you miss the part about using the windows primarily to shoot through? This is a suggestion for vanilla not for a mod as I'm pretty sure buildings of the future would have windows.

I use embrasures now from the Defend the Colony! mod which act as windows pretty well, along with barbwire they allow me to fortify my buildings and build bunkers for defence like an actual settlement, instead of stupid pathfinding abusing killboxes.

FridayBiology

my bad,

you could use weapon racks then,
personally i don't like weapon racks as they look funny to me. Though they do block temp loss and will inclose a building, they count as semi-cover and can be shot over though not walked over unlike sand bags.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Johnny Masters

A lack of windows might be explained by the fact that the dev and most of the community are dwarves, which kinda explains why most of the game is balanced around building into a mountain (assuming a challenging difficulty). That said, since i mostly build in the open, a lack of windows was the first thing to baffle me into mods.

But to answer, no you are not the first mate, and i'm yet to see any official statement on this 'issue'. If anyone has, please link for us.

A reskin of the embrasure could also work? As in, at full health its a regular intact glass windows, but when damaged it would crack and work like a normal embrasure, except with glass shards textures.

Too bad mods cant work much with the lighting, apparently its hard coded in a bad way (same as orbital beacons). Lighting works bad in that you can't build a porch that doesn't result in absolute darkness

Ruger

Quote from: Feirfec on January 26, 2015, 07:12:02 PM
my bad,

you could use weapon racks then,
personally i don't like weapon racks as they look funny to me. Though they do block temp loss and will inclose a building, they count as semi-cover and can be shot over though not walked over unlike sand bags.

Oh that is cool, I never knew they acted like that.

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 26, 2015, 07:40:05 PM
A lack of windows might be explained by the fact that the dev and most of the community are dwarves, which kinda explains why most of the game is balanced around building into a mountain (assuming a challenging difficulty). That said, since i mostly build in the open, a lack of windows was the first thing to baffle me into mods. [snip]

Yea I'm a Dwarf Fortress player aswell, I was attracted to this game cause its similarity and it doesn't make my eyes bleed. With the lack of Z levels and fire arms this game lends itself better to outdoors settlements, it also makes more sense as digging into a mountain to build your colony would be an astronomical waste of resources in reality.

Yea I eventually made my own little mod for a window, didn't look into the lighting element but what your saying sounds grim :(. Imma cross my fingers and hope Tynan adds windows.

skullywag

I could probably knock this up if someone can make me a texture. The issue i forsee though is AI, will start using windows to climb through all the time.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?