Phoebe Friendly, not always. A story of Tranquilville.

Started by Raufgar, November 10, 2013, 09:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raufgar

We take a look at the growing colony of Tranquilville. Nestled in a natural valley, on a tropical (if the rain is anything to go by) class-M planet, life was peaceful, colonists were hardworking, but well fed and well taken care of.

The occasional raider attack were minor affairs, repelled or neutralized with ease, and survivors were inducted into the group, mainly to prevent them from revealing the location and defenses of the colony.

Life was good...until one raider attack coincided with a mysterious phenomenon that swept over the entire planet.

No one knows what beset the local Muffalo population that foggy night. Surviving Tranquilville scientists speculate that a Transcended artifact in one of the ruins dotting the planet's landscape was somehow activated, sending out a planet-wide psychic shockwave. None of the colonists were affected by this pulse, possibly due to the location of the colony. Those outside the protective walls were not so lucky.

Every single Muffalo outside the valley were affected by the pulse and driven mad. They started to
attack everything in sight, be it themselves, the local squirrel or boomrat population... or unlucky raiders.

Making a beeline for the entrances of the colony, as if driven or directed by something, the maddened Muffaloes were ignored by the automated sentry defense guns, their databases were sadly only calibrated with raider profiles. Breaking through the poorly designed double-doors into the colony proper, the herd started attacking colonists, who scrambled to get away from them.

The colonists tried some semblance of ordered retreat, but the sheer numbers of the herd rendered that idea quickly useless. One by one they fell, until only 1 survivor remained.

Lt Castaneda, space marine, was a recent joiner in the colony, but he proved his worth. Grabbing a belt full of grenades that one of the unlucky raiders dropped after he destroyed the Northern gate with them, he initiated a running retreat while lobbing grenades at the pursuing Muffaloes. While his aim left something to be desired, very soon, all attacking Muffaloes were neutralized.

Once the threat was gone, Lt. Castaneda was left scrambling to move all incapacitated colonists to their rooms for healing. In the days that followed, he slowly nursed them back to health. Many did not survive the ordeal, but those who did credit Lt. Castaneda with singlehandedly saving the colony, thus earning him the odiously accurate title of "Muffalo Slayer".
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

ShadowDragon8685

That is fucking awesome. Did you take pics of the muffalo rampage and the carnage ensuing?
Raiders must die!

Raufgar

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 10, 2013, 03:12:06 PM
That is fucking awesome. Did you take pics of the muffalo rampage and the carnage ensuing?

Sadly, no, was busy trying to get my colonists to safety :(
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Lechai

i too have lost nearly my whole colony to rampaging muffalo herds

General Lynore

I was able to defeat the muffalo herd without losses by compressing them into a bottleneck. I would upload a picture, but I am screencap deficient - I can't get the program to capture.

CodyRex123

Yes, That probly the awsomest and meanest sounding story thing going on there, i gotta be honest, the mufflos coulda helped you if you could keep them out side, killing raiders for you, destorying the boomrats so they dont feast and cause fires, so yea.
Dragons!