Rimworld for the nintendo switch.

Started by kymeimei, February 06, 2019, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kymeimei

I recently purchased Prison Architect (Again) this time for the Nintendo Switch. It is a ton of fun -again- runs perfect so far, my prison is at about 100 inmates and 50 staff. There is a lot of similarities between Rimworld and PA. After a semi successful prison and how well (to my surprise) the game ran in handheld mode given I have been spoiled with high end PCs for the last 10 years, all I could think about is Rimworld for the switch. The controls in handheld just work (unlike fallout 76), and things I doubted like building foundations and micro managing guards is excellent.

The Switch has been on a rampage of success because of obvious reasons like huge nostalgia titles like Mario and Zelda, but one surprising aspect of the switches success is revival of PC titles like Diablo 3 and Civilization VI.

Outside of its big franchises, Take-Two reported that sales of Civilisation VI for Nintendo Switch "significantly exceeded expectations". It was one of four games the firm released on Switch in the latter months of 2018.

"We felt good about the platform and we put the titles on Switch that we felt were going to perform well," Zelnick says. "We are excited about continuing to support the Switch for the right kind of properties."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-06-take-two-beats-targets-as-red-dead-redemption-ii-shipments-reach-23-million

Some surprising positive reviews for a very "user hated" diablo 3 port. https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/diablo-iii-eternal-collection

Seems like even though Diablo 3 disappointed many hardcore PC gamers it's great reception on the switch is undeniable, even with the announcement of Diablo immortal.

Concerns of lag and lack of processing power are very real however. Rimworld on the switch would be a dream for me, so was city skylines. City Skylines for the switch is a prime example of a well selling but failed port. The game chugs, you experience severe pop ins and the engine slows to a crawl especially in larger cities. It is simply a game that runs much better on all the other systems. With that said, Cities Skylines runs at a crawl on gaming PCs as well eventually, but this happens much sooner and is much more prevalent on the nintendo switch.

So how would Rimworld and the Switch mix? From a profit standpoint and how expensive games are for the switch I think it would be a win win situation to follow suit with Prison Architect, Stardew Valley and many other games ported over. It is undisputed that the console and mobile market are worth tapping into, and while playing Rimworld on the Ipad is not a foreseeable reality I would quickly spend 60$ on Rimworld for the nindendo switch. Thank you for reading.